i took my little nephew who is 13 to guitar center to have the opportunity to play some different brands of guitars. he currently has a ragged little 1st act and no amp. but he`s learned to play a couple of songs and really wants to play. kids had apretty tough home life the last few years,and i wanted to mabey see what he wanted and then mabey at xmas, hook him up. any way while there i set him up with a cheap used jackson dxmg and grabbed an epi sg off the rack. we were plugged in to a couple of 15 watt line six amps because that will most likely be the amp he gets. man, i was amazed at how well that epi sg played. the action was awsome and the neck was thin and fast. i immediently got the jones for this lil cherry red sg , i kinda lost my self and asked one of the sales guys if they wanted to trade for my schecter c1 classic seeing that right now im broke. and instead of jumping on it he talked me out of it saying dude, you will hate your self later. yea hes right i probably would. but that sg felt better than some 1100 dollar gibbys that ive played in the past. im still thinking about it but i cant sacrifice that c1, and i cant do a lay away right now, if im going to hook up my nephew, which is why we went there in the first place. btw, he will be getting a low end jackson kelly and the line six 15 watt amp for xmas. sorry if this was spam, i was just amazed that the sales guy didnt want to trade "down" for that schecter. considering their price on a used c1 classic, in worse condition than mine was $700 dollars.
tobacco sunburst schecter c1 classic
black,with creme binding ibanez arc-100
tubescreamer
fender,"ultimate chorus"amp
Good story.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
^ +1... have to give credit to that sales guy, maybe someday get the epi sg ... but yeah i've been surprised by random lower end guitars before, just shows you have to try em out before you can say anything really.
Dude, you're crazy if you wanna' trade a C1 classic for an Epi Sg.

But I've trade you my Dean VX for you C1.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
yea, i think the sales guy thought i had lost my mind. im not hatin my c1, i was just blown away by how well this one particular epi sg played. kind of a one in a milion kind of thing.
tubescreamer
I played an Epi today that made me feel the same way.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by mig=21
yea, i think the sales guy thought i had lost my mind. im not hatin my c1, i was just blown away by how well this one particular epi sg played. kind of a one in a milion kind of thing.

Have you tried tweaking the action on your C1?
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
thats cool that the sales guy was honest with you. i hate to walk into a store and have people jump all over me, which is why i hated working retail so much. anyway +1 to what Xeron_Brigs said, get a nice set up on your C-1 and see what you think afterwards. much cheaper than a new guitar. i'm not a schecter fan by any means, but i'd take one over an epi (usually).
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
To be honest, i wouldn't expect a $1100 Gibson to play amazingly either, especially with the way some of the instruments feel (hit-and-miss).

Anyways, i don't like Schecter, especially the Hellraiser series. But, i love the Classic. It's the only Schecter i would buy, really.

And as others have said, a nice setup can do wonders for how well your instrument plays.
I have never played a new Epiphone that I would buy - the exception being one of those super cheap 'special' models.

When I was teaching in a store (about 1998/99) there was a white one that I used to use and it was just a really nice guitar and setup well.

I didn't buy it because I have enough guitars already, but it was really nice - for the money.
I notice that a lot of guitarist don't seem to know about changing the action, setting intonation, etc. That is quite a shame, as a bad setup can really make your instrument seem terrible.

Usually, if you are having a lot of problems with the action height or fret buzz, chances are that it can be fixed. If you can’t do it yourself, try taking it to a reputable guitar tech. Sure, it will cost some money, but a properly set up guitar makes playing MUCH more enjoyable.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Pac_man0123
To be honest, i wouldn't expect a $1100 Gibson to play amazingly either, especially with the way some of the instruments feel (hit-and-miss).

Anyways, i don't like Schecter, especially the Hellraiser series. But, i love the Classic. It's the only Schecter i would buy, really.

And as others have said, a nice setup can do wonders for how well your instrument plays.

thats low end gibson and epiphone, they're hit and miss, but when they're a hit, they are some of the best guitars you can find.
I agree with kurtebirdi, I own an epiphone Les Paul standard. And from the moment I picked it up I was blown away. Seriously, I love music so much and the music itself is an inspiration to play, but the guitar just adds onto it. I don't think a day has gone by since I got the epi that I haven't played it. Just because I HAVE to. Idk if anyone else knows what I mean, it's just that when you find that right guitar, everything falls into place. Idk, but yeah I don't know where I was goin with this mssg haha, hope you can find a way to get your hands on that epi dude. But try what everyone else is saying about the setup of your guitar cause they've also got a point too.
I had a GC salesman tell me the tubes on my DC had a bunch of time on them and thats why it was traded in before I said I'll take it. 6-6L6's and 6 AX7's are a bit pricey compared to re-tubing other amps so the original owner traded it for a 3120 before it really needed glass. For a sales associate to tell you NOT to trade your C-1 is unheard of. My hat is off to him.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
I like Epiphone. But sometimes their work is really sh*tty. mabey you should do it.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
I'm willing to be you'll never see that sales guy again. Not because he was fired, but he was probably some mystical guide who prevented you from doing something stupid.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by mig=21
btw, he will be getting a low end jackson kelly and the line six 15 watt amp for xmas.

Actually you might want to change that Spider to a Peavey Vypyr
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by fantasyh

lol @ UG, the guy picks this out of that wall of text

If he played on it and liked it, why shouldn't he buy it?
i was at guitar center and tried a squier telecaster and was blown away at how much better the action and neck felt compared to my epiphone les paul standard. I tried an identical epiphone les paul standard at the store and I didnt find it to be any better than my own. I then tried other epiphones and found that, like what others were saying, they are a hit or miss. Some felt amazing to play while others were nothing special. Also, At guitar center, im pretty sure they fix up the guitars that are on display really nice, so that maybe why you thought that sg was amazing.
Quote by fantasyh

If it was a spider 4 I don't see the problem. I played one IN PERSON and was utterly shocked. It sounded way more tube like and realistic than the Spider lll. This amp will smash whatever paradigms you previously had regarding the Spider series.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
My Guitar Center sell used c-1 classics for 400-500 bucks. I want one. And a Gibson V. And an es335. And a Paul Reed Smith. And an Ibanez Artcore. And an Sg. And an ESP Ltd h 1000. And a Telecaster HH FMT.
wow
someone whose not a dick at GC. If i did that there where i was the sales people would ask for more than the c-1

some guitars just naturally feel good. Like the wood thier built with is a freak where it somehow makes a low ended epi feel better than a 1000 dollar gibson
that is a good story, but not to change the subject or anything but I once saw John Mayer at Guitar center, it was pretty sweet, i was with a friend and we went to check out acoustics when he was in there and i played like the intro to the dueling bajos thing as a joke then pretty much left and then, do you know what happend? John Mayer played the other part to it, i was so freaking nervous i couldn't say anything, i just laughed and left
"To love someone is to see him as God intended him"
Quote by mig=21
he talked me out of it saying dude, you will hate your self later.

As far as I can tell, he just saved you from yourself.

Kudos to sales people who are honest to customers.

PS... why Line 6? Why no a Peavey Vypyr or Vox Valvetronix.... IIRC those are cheaper and generally better than the Line 6 which I am assuming to be a Spider.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
yea but sometimes guitar center can be a rip off
"To love someone is to see him as God intended him"
Quote by Aspenboy
that is a good story, but not to change the subject or anything but I once saw John Mayer at Guitar center, it was pretty sweet, i was with a friend and we went to check out acoustics when he was in there and i played like the intro to the dueling bajos thing as a joke then pretty much left and then, do you know what happend? John Mayer played the other part to it, i was so freaking nervous i couldn't say anything, i just laughed and left

I hate john major
just becasue hes such a baller man, all my female friends have a crush on him
thanks to all who responded. ive always wanted a cherry red sg ever since i played my buddy`s big brother`s 1968 sg back in the early 70`s and i guess this epi sg at the gc had the same feel especially in the neck. ive played some gibson sgs over the years that the neck felt like a club. there is nothing wrong with my c1 and im glad now i didnt trade. i`d like to think that my better judgment would have kicked in before i ever made the trade anyway. i guess ill never know. i
tubescreamer
My Epi SG is sweet as tits. I like it better than some Gibsons I have played. And as far as I can tell, unless they matched the grains up perfectly, by guitar is just two pieces also.