I need to replace the tubes in my Rockerverb 50 quite soon, and i'm not sure which brand to go for. I love the tone/breakup right now, but I dont think the ones that came stock are commercially available. The preamps are Ruby's, so I assume the power section is too, but the only Ruby 6V6's I see for sale anywhere are those "chinese cherry bombs" that aren't very good for tube amps.

Anyways, I hear JJ is quite dark, something I wouldn't want more of in an Orange. What about Tung-Sols?

Thoughts?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I'd ask Roc#### in the tube thread.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
The Tung-Sols are awesome 6V6s. They can't handle the plate voltages that JJs can but IMO they sound much better, in a Blackface Deluxe atleast. They give more of the piano type tone in that amp and they're brighter than the JJs. I'd give em a try.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^What do you mean by plate voltages?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
^Ok, so the tube will have less headroom if it handles less voltage?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ping dougstubes dcdossett.

plate voltage is the amount of volts a power tube can handle basically......ie. Its a measurement.

I've been on dougstubes, I always have heard great stuff about them.

From some more research, it looks like its inbetween tung-sol and JJ. Tung sol a bit more vintage-esque, and JJ more compressed and modern. I like both. FFFUUU
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by sloppyjoe109
^Ok, so the tube will have less headroom if it handles less voltage?

Less plate voltage = less dissipation = less headroom.

Do you have any idea how much of voltage the power tranny feeds the plates in your amp?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by dcdossett65
I've been on dougstubes, I always have heard great stuff about them.

From some more research, it looks like its inbetween tung-sol and JJ. Tung sol a bit more vintage-esque, and JJ more compressed and modern. I like both. FFFUUU

JJ's are considered 'darker' than Tung Sols no?

What about SED Winged 'C's
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
JJ's are considered 'darker' than Tung Sols no?

What about SED Winged 'C's

I would assume so, it seems that way from what I hear about JJ's. Though I just saw a quote from adrian emsley (sp?/amp designer for orange) that he prefers JJ's.

I'll look into those, not familier with the name. -EDIT- Could not find any 6V6 versions of the tube?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I have JJ power tubes, with tung sol preamps.

Good combination i guess, cant complain.

But im so curious to know how tung sol powertubes would sound.

Maybe too bright if its tung sol and tung sol...
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by dcdossett65
I would assume so, it seems that way from what I hear about JJ's. Though I just saw a quote from adrian emsley (sp?/amp designer for orange) that he prefers JJ's.

I'll look into those, not familier with the name. -EDIT- Could not find any 6V6 versions of the tube?

Winged C doesn't make 6V6s. They make a 6550, 5UG, 6L6, EF86, EL34, KT88 and 310A though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs