I'm organizing a fundraiser concert at my church and was wondering how many guitars you think we should bring. We will probably have three guitarists and one bassist if everything goes according to plan. We have about five guitars we'd probably be able to bring (more likely four guitars though) and two basses.
Are you all playing at the same time? And how reliable is your stuff? I'd bring 3 guitars and 1 bass but bring what you can. This changes if you don't think your instruments will hold out for whatever reason
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
I say bring them all.
One of my favorite quotes is actually, "Everything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong." So just take the precaution.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Guess that safe wasn't really safe after all.

/bad joke

Quote by strat0blaster
They're in Virginia. It doesn't surprise me.

Have you ever lived in Virginia?

y yes i do live in virginia
NoVA

RIP Heaven's Gate
Quote by ripjoestrummer
Are you all playing at the same time? And how reliable is your stuff? I'd bring 3 guitars and 1 bass but bring what you can. This changes if you don't think your instruments will hold out for whatever reason

Most of the time, no, because the singer will be playing the solos and lead guitar for some songs. Our gear seems fairly reliable. The 1st guitarist occasionally breaks strings, the second guitarist hasn't had a problem with anything as far as I know, but the lead guitarist's strap sometimes slips out (I was thinking of making him go buy straplocks though). As far as my bass, I don't know when the battery will crap out on me, but I'll probably change it before the show.

Quote by xontimes2
I say bring them all.
One of my favorite quotes is actually, "Everything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong." So just take the precaution.

I'll probably have to remind my friend of Murphy's law to get him to bring backups, seeing as he's the one with most of the gear (he's got 3/5 available guitars, plus the second bass).
Last edited by Alex Vik at Aug 23, 2009,
You have 3 guitarists, and are likely to only have 4 guitars...I'd bring them all. That's one backup between three musicians...there's a good chance you'll need it.

As for the bass, bassists generally don't break strings, so unless there's something wrong with one, you'll be fine with one. A spare can't hurt, though.
Nope, no sig here.
I've never brought a backup guitar to any of my shows and I've never needed one! However, I have seen many other players break strings on stage and having a backup guitar was the only way that they could continue the show.

Bring 1 extra guitar, and unless the bassist is extremely violent or playing on a very poor quality bass, you probably shouldn't need an extra bass.
Depends how many tunings you use, of course if a string broke you'd have to restring your one guitar while the songs going. I'd say two each.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I can't think of any good reasons NOT to bring back-up guitars if you have them...other than lack of space.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Buy new batteries before the show, and replace any batteries you have in your equipment.
Replace the strings on your equipment a day or two before a show (let the strings stretch, by playing them).
And if you can, bring backup.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
If you have spares bring them - the best guitar in the world will sound awful with 5 strings and a loose jack socket.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.