So here's the deal, my band (of all starting out musicians) is starting to get better and we have started doing open mics. Soon we will get all three of us out playing, so far we are just doing covers. I'm the singer/guitarist/bandleader with a drummer and bassist. The bassist and I are longtime friends (I'm pretty good friends with the drummer too) and I brought the both of them together. In an attempt to try and share some of the spotlight and responsibility, I offered the bassist to sing for a song we are covering that she really likes. The song is "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, a song that is really great and powerfully sung. The bassist has sang back up on several songs which I feel really adds depth to the final product. The only problem I find is I don't think she is an all that powerful singer for lead yet. Don't get me wrong she has a nice voice but lacks the range and control I have acquired through practice. I have been told I have quote "a unique, powerful, and sincere singing voice". I did not have this when I first started playing guitar, I sang very similar to the bassist, soft and emotionless.

So here is the question: Should I not mention anything to her and let her sing and compromise the sound of our band/performance? Or Should I tell her, possibly get in a fight, seem like an asshole, and compromise the existence of the band?

I really don't want to get in a fight with her and hog everything, but I really want our band to sound above average.

Help!!! Thanks ahead of time.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Quote by atlasguitar
I did not have this when I first started playing guitar, I sang very similar to the bassist, soft and emotionless.

So here is the question: Should I not mention anything to her and let her sing and compromise the sound of our band/performance? Or Should I tell her, possibly get in a fight, seem like an asshole, and compromise the existence of the band?

I really don't want to get in a fight with her and hog everything, but I really want our band to sound above average.

Help!!! Thanks ahead of time.

Ultimately, the critique on your voice was an opinion. Your opinon of her voice may be the same that someone else has your your own. I understand your dillemma, but you are ina band that is starting out, and in that, they isnt a heavy weight on your shoulders to perform above average. Do your best, in whatever that may be. If you place your skills in higher regard than someone elses, you start to form the basis of showmanship elitism.

Just have fun, she'll get better, she'll feel it when the time comes. Ask yourself how you would want to be treated if the roles were reversed, and go from there. What if they found a better gutarist than you, should they NOT hire him/her, you know, for the best interest of the band?

The band does noy have its own unique identity, it is a commune of all members involved. One starting out would be wise to heed those words. Do unto your bandmates, as you would have them do unto you.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Thank you. You've given me a lot more to think about. I guess it only matters if we are having fun, she won't be having fun if she is pushed aside.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Last edited by atlasguitar at Aug 23, 2009,
Believe me, hearing from someone else that you're a horrible singer just when starting out is the sort of thing that will stop you singing for a long time, if not forever.

She'll get better with practice and refer her to the same singing teacher you went to as well (if you had a singing teacher).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
that aong does have a lot of emphasis on the voice.
I swear if I were a guy I would jizz in my pants at that bit after the solo where there is t10 contrary melodies.. that **** is AWESOME

but seriously. You put her in, you can't take her out. Besides that osng will naturally make her push more. Just every now and again (not like every single time you practise) at that peak bit, just go "yeah, sing it louder, you rock!" or some****..

it's all about support. You can't sing loud and confident if your not confident..