I was messing around with pinch harmonics and stuff, and I went above the first pickup and pushed the string down onto the metal bit of the pickup itself. I was scared that if I picked it, something would go wrong.
So I have 2 questions.

1)Can someone try this for me? I'm really curious and even though it probably makes no sound, I want to know what happens.

2) What cool harmonic techniques can you do that arent normal used? Like past the 21st fret and stuff?
I dont think it'll break unless your guitar is really crappy made, or your fingers are as strong as the hulk
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
It shouldn't You might snap a string if you end up sliding it to the side too far or it gets caught on something. Touching strings to pickups isn't really dangerous. You actually get a rather twangy sound if i remember right.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I was messing around with pinch harmonics and stuff, and I went above the first pickup and pushed the string down onto the metal bit of the pickup itself. I was scared that if I picked it, something would go wrong.
So I have 2 questions.

Stop! Don't do that! The four horsemen of the apocalypse will appear if you do!
Quote by GoldfishMoon
pushed the string down onto the metal bit of the pickup

sounds like you're talking about the pickup's cover? don't know about that but on some older (uncovered) pickups there would be a popping sound if the string touched the pole-pieces. My guess is that if that happens you shouldn't do it too often, unless you want to fry your amp.
Last edited by malephik at Aug 23, 2009,
Other than snap a string, nothing will happen.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I was scared that if I picked it, something would go wrong.

1)Can someone try this for me? I'm really curious and even though it probably makes no sound, I want to know what happens.

xD nice, make someone else try something you think is dangerous before you do.

I do that all the time (on my strat, it might be different with your guitar). Your string won't break, try it yourself
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 23, 2009,
Fretting on the pickup shouldn't do anything other than giving you a higher note.

Also fun is to try and fret a note on the extra piece of fretboard that sticks out after the last fret.
Quote by malephik
sounds like you're talking about the pickup's cover? don't know about that but on some older (uncovered) pickups there would be a popping sound if the string touched the pole-pieces. My guess is that if that happens you shouldn't do it too often, unless you want to fry your amp.

If you push the string down onto metal it is essentially a new fret, but it won't make much noise unless you switch to your bridge pickup.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick

If you push the string down onto metal it is essentially a new fret, but it won't make much noise unless you switch to your bridge pickup.

I was talking about something else. there was a constant popping sound (about 2 pops per second) WHILE the string TOUCHED the pole-piece(NO picking, just keeping them in contact)

Has anyone else ever heard of something like this?

note:this happened to me on an old, cheap bass
Seeing as Tom Morello uses a similar tactic for the solo to Original Fire, I think you're alright.
I dont think it matters if you have active pickups or not. Mine are passive and the most I get is a little bit of buzz I believe or crackle when the string slides on the pole a little.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘