Alright im pretty new at the guitar and im trying to learn some guitar and im pretty sure I got the modes but just making sure..

Im using C major

D dorian is a mode of C major.

E Phrygian is a mode of C major.

And you move up a note and make another major scale to get the next mode of the C major scale?

ETC
Last edited by Kr0nic666 at Aug 23, 2009,
You move up a scale degree and you use the notes from the C major scale. All of these modes have the same notes, the notes from C major (thats why they're called modes) they just start on different notes.
Quote by adrianharris7
You move up a scale degree and you use the notes from the C major scale. All of these modes have the same notes, the notes from C major (thats why they're called modes) they just start on different notes.

So like.. I'd skip a note and then end on that note?
Quote by Kr0nic666
So like.. I'd skip a note and then end on that note?

Like for a Dorian Mode of C?
C major. the notes are C D E F G A B. all natural. so C ionian is just C D E F G A B C. then D dorian is D E F G A B C D E phrygian is E F G A B C D E

But in the key of G. theres an F sharp. so the G ionian is G A B C D E F# G.
thats how i think it goes..dont quote me on it...
D Dorian is D E F G A B C, E Phrygian is E F G A B C D. They have the same notes, the notes from C major. You treat modes just like normal scales (Pentatonic etc) the only difference is that they are derived from a "mother" scale. Hope that makes sense
Quote by adrianharris7
D Dorian is D E F G A B C, E Phrygian is E F G A B C D. They have the same notes, the notes from C major. You treat modes just like normal scales (Pentatonic etc) the only difference is that they are derived from a "mother" scale. Hope that makes sense

Alright so like, C Ionian is the C major scale
(EXAMPLE: C D E F G A B C)

And Dorian is C major, but you skip C and start on D and end on a D note?
(EXAMPLE: D E F G A B C D)

Phrygian would be..
(EXAMPLE: E F G A B C D E)

That right?
Modes aren't just "starting the scale on another note" - just doing that doesn't automatically mean your using modes....please stop talking about them if you don't understand them yourself.

Honestly, if you're as new as you say just forget about them, they're an advanced bit of theory and also not actually very important. Go back to them when you fully understand the theory behind the major scale. The fact that you've posted this in GT speaks volumes as they're absolutely nothing to do with technique, they're pure theory.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
Modes aren't just "starting the scale on another note" - just doing that doesn't automatically mean your using modes....please stop talking about them if you don't understand them yourself.

Honestly, if you're as new as you say just forget about them, they're an advanced bit of theory and also not actually very important. Go back to them when you fully understand the theory behind the major scale. The fact that you've posted this in GT speaks volumes as they're absolutely nothing to do with technique, they're pure theory.

Two things, Im not new to guitar itself, just theory. Sorry I forgot that part. I get scales and stuff but the modes make me go huh?
Also, I just signed up yesterday, didn't see there was a theory board until you mentioned it so thanks.

I guess I'll start one over there later..