I feel under extreme pressure ffrom people to play Legato type stuff, and learn sweep picking and all fast techniques.

However, I feel happy just riffing it way playing powerchords and arpeggios and making riffs which sound nice nice slow melodic leads.

Do I need to become a fast lead player to become a better player at some point, or can I just play like I am at the moment, and so stuff like that?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
you should play what your happy with
but learning new techinques is always helpful
and sweeping is sick when you learn it, not easy either
NEWCASTLE

UNITED!

My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-401QMNT
Marshall AVT150H
Peavey Valve King Cab
Sweep picking and fast legato runs can never hurt to have in your belt. My teacher always said that its better to have a million things to choose from, even if you only pick 1.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Meh...I just feel like I'm worthless as a guitarist if I can't to those things.

I'd like to learn them, just in lots of time.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Don't learn them because you feel you have to. Learn them because you want to. The only advice you're gonna get on here is "They would help, but meh, if you don't wanna..."
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Meh...I just feel like I'm worthless as a guitarist if I can't to those things.

I'd like to learn them, just in lots of time.

I'm in the boat that self-expression is the most important part of playing guitar. That comes first. Then you can learn all the common advanced techniques.

If sweeping doesn't appeal to you and you don't have a band relying on you to sweep pick, don't worry about it.
_______
|||||||||||||||
It's probably not worth the work if you're not in it fully, when you get there it'll be great but you couldve been spending that time on something else. doesnt matter what anyone else wants you to learn, I've never wanted anyone to learn anything, it doesn't give people watching much fun, they can just go watch some Yngwie videos if they want that
You can learn the techniques, but dont need to become super fast in it
you can use those skillz in riff making not just lead work
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Play what you enjoy, I can't stress that enough.
Legato is very useful, sweep picking is surprising useless for the most part. It can be hard to fir it into context and may sound forced.

+1 I've spent ages learning and now I'm working out how to do it it doesn't seem as good as i thought it'd be if I improve more though...
Under pressure from who??

Who's telling you what to play?

Just learn to play the styles of music you want to play, i.e. the bands you listen to the most. If they use sweep picking a lot, then surely you'll wanna learn it too. if they don't, whats the point? You're not going to use it just because its cool are you?
You shouldnt be pressured by anything ,slash cant do sweeps and not everyones perfect at legato. You should only play what you enjoy ,if you really want to learn just take it slow ,even the best sweep picking players spent years learning them ,no one starts off perfect at them ,just take your time with them. Legato is more useful than sweeping because sweeps are harder to incorporate into music
None of those techniques are essential - they're things you should only consider to embellish and vary your playing when you're starting to reach the limits of whats' possible with more conventional techniques.

Hopwever people seem to think that knowing those techniques automatically makes you a "good" guitarist so they rush to learn them as fast as posssible so they can brag to their mates in the playground about who learned what first.

And it's utter bollocks, they don't make you inherently better and if you've rushed into them and neglected the basics then you're actually a worse guitarist than you should be. Everything has a time and a place on guitar, sweeping and all that stuff should come a fair way down the line, if ever. There are thousands upon thousands of guitarists out there who will never sweep a lick in their lives, some playing at home and some making millions recording and touring.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I alternate pick almost everything, I barely do any legato, I can tap pretty well, but can not sweep at all. I am definetily not the fastest player ever; I can get to about 9nps. Still, I play guitar because I like to do it. I enjoy getting better at it, and my band, in which I'm the lead guitarist thinks I'm doing a good job. I want to learn aforementioned techniques though, but it will come in time.

Do not pressure yourself, and certainly, don't let others put pressure on you to learn something. Play what's comfortable with you, and things will come over time. Nobody can play like *insert famous shredder* after a year of playing, it takes years of practise and dedication. Just, take it easy, and it will come to you naturally.
Just do whatever you want, if you give in to pressure from other people you won't develop your own style. My style is minimal picking, loads of legato, and lots of bends, and people have told me "hey you should alt pick more", but I happen to like the sound of legato, but to each his own.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt