Page 1 of 2
Today I was nursing a hangover and was quite engrossed in a documentary about the ocean floor.
And it got me to thinking, are we spending too much time focused on space travel, when we have so much left of our own world left unexplored.
I mean we have sent hundreds of men into space, but only two have ever been to the bottom of the worlds deepest trench.
Not only the oceans hold a multitude of undiscovered life and phenomena, but also caves and jungles.
Thoughts opinions?
You have an excellent point.

...Where do we go from here?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
People have actually made it to the deepest level of the bottom of the ocean?

Are you sure?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by rabidguitarist
You have an excellent point.

...Where do we go from here?

The planet is a gunboat in a sea of fear.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by thanksgiving

Are you sure?

I'm starting to think he might be accidentally referring to a work of fiction.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by thanksgiving

Are you sure?

Marianas Trench
RIP Tom Searle.
Black holes are ****ing brutal, space ****s on the ocean!
April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain
It said in the docco that a whale's body could sustain a micro-ecosystem of life (some specific to dead whales) for 100 years, it may be just me but that's amazing.
There is probably a bigger chance that there is more interesting stuff on other planets than our oceans.

EDIT: and I base my knowledge on, absolutely nothing.
Last edited by Hybrid_Xer0 at Aug 23, 2009,
Well I've got it on good authority that by the year 3000 we'll all be living underwater.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Deliriumbassist
We still explore those areas to a great extent. I do enjoy the idea of exploring our planet first, although I also enjoy the idea of there still being some mystery about it.

Agreed, especially the ´mystery´ part. It´s much more fun if some stuff stays a mystery. It would be the same with bigfoot, if someone found him and found out it is actually a misfigured monkey/bear. The whole ´Ooooh Bigfoot!´ would be gone.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by Yakult
Well I've got it on good authority that by the year 3000 we'll all be living underwater.

Been talking to the merfolk people eh? Well I've been talking to the Borg and they say we're going to live in space!
The ocean floor might have undiscovered possibilities, but unless we evolve to breathe underwater, the increasing population on this planet is eventually going tom force us off it.

So for the eventual (say, a few hundred or so years) future, we need to explore space and all it's opportunities.
Quote by Hybrid_Xer0
There is probably a bigger chance that there is more interesting stuff on other planets than our oceans.

EDIT: and I base my knowledge on, absolutely nothing.

Depends on how you define 'interesting'.
We may see other planets as more interesting than the sea on our own planet because we can go and look at the sea any time we want to, but if unknowns are discovered in the sea, then that, in my opinion, is just as interesting as discovering unknowns on other planets.
What really interests me is the notion of giant anacondas. It is known that anacondas don't stop growing, and it is unknown how long they can live for. The only reason we haven't seen these giant snakes is because, when that deep in the Amazon, you're struggling to carry and transport your provisions for survival, let alone even the carcass or even skin of a 100ft snake.

Quote by Yakult

I'm going to hurt you for that reference
Quote by Yakult

More like by the year 2012!
We will have evolved into the next stage of humanity and we will grow gills thus be able to live under water.
Quote by Kensai
Been talking to the merfolk people eh? Well I've been talking to the Borg and they say we're going to live in space!

Borg don't talk. They assimilate. Resistance is futile.
Quote by Yakult

Tirple breasted women will swim around town, totally naked.

And your great great great granddaughter? She's pretty fine.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by SlackerBabbath
We may see other planets as more interesting than the sea on our own planet because we can go and look at the sea any time we want to, but if unknowns are discovered in the sea, then that, in my opinion, is just as interesting as discovering unknowns on other planets.

Aye, I always found the sea to be very interesting. Crazy stuff is always found, like giant squids, prehistoric sharks and loch ness monsters other stuff.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
What really interests me is the notion of giant anacondas. It is known that anacondas don't stop growing, and it is unknown how long they can live for. The only reason we haven't seen these giant snakes is because, when that deep in the Amazon, you're struggling to carry and transport your provisions for survival, let alone even the carcass or even skin of a 100ft snake.

Plus you bet a snake that big would have troubles manovuering in the jungle and have bigger problems with gravity and stuff. No, my friend, the sea is where it's at!

Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
Borg don't talk. They assimilate. Resistance is futile.

I talked to SevenofNine. We assimilated all night long, baby.
The Ocean first, as it's awesome, and it's close and easier. Than we can try to explore space, knowing what we have here. We should also develop an engine that fuels itself by working (using turbines powered by the engines maybe?) which would make space travel that much easier.
Quote by Yakult

though it makes me feel bad that I understood the reference.

Also, the sea tends to interest me a bit more than space.
Last edited by SMH07 at Aug 23, 2009,
the deep ocean is scary. ****ing scary.

it terrifies me.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by SlackerBabbath

True.
I guess space is more "challenging" to mankind because space is x1000etc...etc bigger so harder to explore. Also spaceships>>>>>>>>>>>boats/subs etc.
Quote by szekelymihai
huge pressure. i dont know, if theres void in space, is there any pressure?

There's none. That's sort of the definition.
Here on earth we have 1 atmosphere, out there we have 0 atmosphere.
But that's also why it's harder to send people to the bottom of the ocean rather than space. In space, you simply have to deal with vacuum, ie, 0 atmospheres.
On the bottom of the ocean, the pressure is over 1000 times the pressure at sea level.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by Kensai

Plus you bet a snake that big would have troubles manovuering in the jungle and have bigger problems with gravity and stuff. No, my friend, the sea is where it's at!

Anacondas are highly, highly aquatic. Plus I got numbers mixed up, 40ft is a "giant anaconda," although none over 30ft have been captured.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Anacondas are highly, highly aquatic. Plus I got numbers mixed up, 40ft is a "giant anaconda"

Well I got all my knowledge from the Anaconda movies. From what I've learned they're highly agressive and their diet consists mainly of reasonably attractive people and amazonian natives. They'll do their best to stay away from Jennifer lopez. Just like the rest of us.
gah. do not bring snakes into this. snakes+water are like my biggest fears.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Kensai
Well I got all my knowledge from the Anaconda movies. From what I've learned they're highly agressive and their diet consists mainly of reasonably attractive people and amazonian natives. They'll do their best to stay away from Jennifer lopez. Just like the rest of us.

I have a pretty good book about the world's mysteries, and giant serpents, monsters of lakes and lochs, that kind of thing is dealt with. Interesting stuff, by a man named Arthur C. Clarke.

Quote by Demon Wolf
gah. do not bring snakes into this. snakes+water are like my biggest fears.

Why snakes?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I have a pretty good book about the world's mysteries, and giant serpents, monsters of lakes and lochs, that kind of thing is dealt with. Interesting stuff, by a man named Arthur C. Clarke.

Why snakes?

ooh i love mysteries.

because snakes are ugly, disgusting, scary and ugly. not to mention they are ugly.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
an astrophysicist an marine biologist are not the same thing just because they are both scientists. Space exploration is also kind of a necessity. We need to be able to colonise on other planets within the next several thousand years as this one is probably going to die soon. We all have to start somewhere don't we.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Anacondas are highly, highly aquatic. Plus I got numbers mixed up, 40ft is a "giant anaconda," although none over 30ft have been captured.

Another post party documentary; hunting giant snakes through caves file chest high with guano (bat ****) to catch giant snakes, I think they found a 23 foot one and it was the longest he'd found in the wild.
Quote by Demon Wolf
ooh i love mysteries.

because snakes are ugly, disgusting, scary and ugly. not to mention they are ugly.

Scary? Barely. More often than not they'll try and stay as far away from you as possible.

Ugly? Many snakes have fantastic colouration and patterns:

http://www.filecluster.com/screenshots/87589.jpg

I put it in a URL in case you didn't want to see it.

Disgusting? Not in my opinion.
Quote by Demon Wolf
ooh i love mysteries.

No, anglerfish are ugly (deepsea fish). Compared to those, snakes appear as fuzzy, cute teddybears.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Yeah I've heard of him

What about the human mind? That's quite a mystery too.

Quote by Demon Wolf
ooh i love mysteries.

I was at universeum the other day and fondled a snake quite heavily. It seemed to like me I gathered as it was making it's way in through my shirt.

Moral of the story: Snakes are awesome.
Quote by Kensai

(Invalid img)

ah björn, he has always been a man with visions.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Page 1 of 2