View poll results: salmon philippe v Jilax^
salmon philippe
15 63%
Jilax^
9 38%
Voters: 24.
strawforest007
1,695 IQ
Listen to each track and vote on the poll!

salmon philippe - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/salmon+philippe/music/play508557

jilax^ - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/JilaX%5E/music/play685125

One week to vote. Winner goes through to Round 2. Runner-up goes to the second-chance play-off.

11 other duels to vote on in this round...

Best of luck!
nico42
UG Lurker
113 IQ
Pretty high class duel, jilax has some nice licks but I'll go with salmon philippe, gotta love some nice sounding acoustig blues with a slide!
Why not listen to my songs on my profile?
j_hunter_hkr
aka Jamie
664 IQ
I've gone with salmon philippe, what a fantastic track! Kudos to Jilax^ though, I really enjoyed yours too.
carmour
243 IQ
Jilax - Sounds really Jimmy Vaughn at the start, although it wasn't recorded well I can hear the good tone underneath it all . Seemed to get lost a bit at times (during the middle), but that's all good, one take jam etc, we all do it, especially over a long track. Came together at the end, you seemed to loosen up and play yourself a bit more which was cool to hear :]

Salmon Philippe - Cool track. Overall as a track it was better put together than Jilax, the two parts mixed well. The whole track just fit well as a piece. None of the playing was AMAZING, but nothing amazing was needed to make the track great

Tough one, both tracks really diff, one more of a instrumental song, the other more of a blues improvised song

Gonna go with Salmon
Hendrix_fan_14
What?
936 IQ
I went with Salmon I really, really loved the feel and the tone on the track. Great slide playing.

Jilax is an amazing player, had really nice dynamics and tone.

This was a hard one to pick.
salmon philippe
1,923 IQ
thank you guys !
I have to say I like Jilax blues too, good luck for you man
JilaX^
348 IQ
Quote by carmour
Jilax - Sounds really Jimmy Vaughn at the start, although it wasn't recorded well I can hear the good tone underneath it all . Seemed to get lost a bit at times (during the middle), but that's all good, one take jam etc, we all do it, especially over a long track. Came together at the end, you seemed to loosen up and play yourself a bit more which was cool to hear :]

Salmon Philippe - Cool track. Overall as a track it was better put together than Jilax, the two parts mixed well. The whole track just fit well as a piece. None of the playing was AMAZING, but nothing amazing was needed to make the track great

Tough one, both tracks really diff, one more of a instrumental song, the other more of a blues improvised song

Gonna go with Salmon

Well, the beginning was meant to be Jimmie-ish (Not that I can really get close )
It was recorded using a laptops mic, so naturally a lot of the tone is lost, which is a shame. But, eyh. I guess it's a good excuse to buy a good mic
Yeah, the middle was a bit Jammy and when listening to it, I know what I would've done differently. But, I'd rather leave it as it is, than do 10 takes and kill the feel for me...
Thanks for the kind words

Thank to you too Hendrix

Well, Salmon. Looks like it's gonna be a close one
Last edited by JilaX^ at Aug 24, 2009,
rocknroll93
Warning: Small Parts
501 IQ
i went with salmon philippe because although I don't really like acoustic, this one stood out a fair bit. I liked it.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck
845 IQ
Salmon's acoustic playing is really nice. Liked the laid back feel and the balance of the 2 parts. Really enjoyed Jilax - some nice licks and great tone - even for a laptop mic! Jilax got my vote.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
pak1351
Disillusioned UGer
976 IQ
I went with salmon, but I'm a sucker for that style.
Thought it was really fantastic, nice percussive playing, nice slide overdubs, kind of fell apart over the solo around 3:25-3:40 imo, lost a little structure and got busy, but overall I really enjoyed it.

jilax, I thought you had some really tasty licks, 0:22-0:42 were probably some of my favorites, just really great phrasing. I was getting some bad clipping the whole time which made it a little harder to get into. I agree with carmour on this one, the middle seemed to be kind of wandering, but I enjoyed the beginning (being a jv fan) and end as well.

Very good entries gentlemen