Well yesterday I was looking at some bases that were in my price range $250-450ish ( Canadian ) and their were only two their. I'm pretty sure they were both Ibanez. The $349 was a 5 string and the other was $285 and 4 string but my question is what would be better for a beginner bass player 4 or 5 string. I plan on just having bass to have some fun jamming with some friends.
Last edited by Tri-Bit at Aug 23, 2009,
seems reasonable, never really got to "play" them because I went to the store 10 minutes before closing. I guess I will have to go back and try em out. thanks Delirium
Well I have a 4, 5 AND a 6-string Bass. I don't play the 5 or 6 strings nowhere near as much as I do my 4-string (which is every day). But that is probably because my kind of music is Punk Rock / Pop Punk / Pop Rock / Alternative... it depends on your type of music, to be honest... unless you play Metal or something, I say start with a 4-string...
This will start a RIOT! in me
I'd reccomend a 5 string because you get one more string,but 10 times more versatility
Quote by Paramore.
Well I have a 4, 5 AND a 6-string Bass. I don't play the 5 or 6 strings nowhere near as much as I do my 4-string (which is every day). But that is probably because my kind of music is Punk Rock / Pop Punk / Pop Rock / Alternative... it depends on your type of music, to be honest... unless you play Metal or something, I say start with a 4-string...

My old band was an alternative/indie/funk band, and I did absolutely fine with a five string. I've seen plenty of people do metal perfectly fien with a 4 string.

I'm always going to recommend a five string to beginners. Using that low B promotes use of economy of motion, as well as helps reinforce knowledge by applying 4 string practice drills and scales down onto the 5th string. In the end though, it's all down to the individual.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm always going to recommend a five string to beginners. Using that low B promotes use of economy of motion, as well as helps reinforce knowledge by applying 4 string practice drills and scales down onto the 5th string. In the end though, it's all down to the individual.

This helped me get more endurance when I did drills.

On a side note, on the upper end of the fretboard, there are more chord possibilities. Not too important for a beginner, but hey, just throwing it out there.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My old band was an alternative/indie/funk band, and I did absolutely fine with a five string. I've seen plenty of people do metal perfectly fien with a 4 string.

Yeah, true... I guess it all just depends on which you prefer to be honest... who knows, I might actually start using my 5 or 6 string every day and hardly touch my 4 string in the future... but my 4 string is amazing... so that one is hard .
This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by Tri-Bit
Well yesterday I was looking at some bases that were in my price range $250-450ish ( Canadian ) and their were only two their. I'm pretty sure they were both Ibanez. The $349 was a 5 string and the other was $285 and 4 string but my question is what would be better for a beginner bass player 4 or 5 string. I plan on just having bass to have some fun jamming with some friends.

More often than not, a song will use a 4 string bass, so I'd go with that one (cheaper too)
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
I'd have to recommend you get yourself a 4 String... Plus you'll save some $$$ Unless your into metal, then maybe a 5 string is the way to go.
2nd Bass
Start with a 4.

It will cost less, the strings will be cheaper (because there's less), resale potential is 'standard' with it being 'oridinary/4 string'.

Simplicity is good and many, many great bassists have only used four strings.

Will your friends be having 7 string guitars?

If the answer is no then get a 4 string.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist but that's my thoughts on the matter.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
Many, many great bassist have also used 5 strings. And playing alongside 7 string guitars is hardly the criteria for getting a 5 string. Honestly? It's all about how it feels. Jeff Berlin said that a 5 string won't make you a better player. I'll disagree with him to an extent- it may not categorically make you a better player, but it will, if you learn correctly, to be a more versatile and economic player. And with the rising popularity of 5 strings, resale value won't be affected much, if at all.
You should get 5 string if you play tunings that are B or lower. Or you could play one octave lower than guitars (sometimes), it sounds cool
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.