I just got a seymour duncan Jb Jr for my strat and the thing screams through my Jcm2000!

Anyone else got one?

let me know what you think of them
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
i put one in the bridge of my eclipse and a '59 in the neck
so much better than the EMG's that were in it
i am planning to put it on a squier bullet strat do what bja did :P
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
i've one in the bridge on my esp ec 400. it sounds ****ing badass when it comes to crunchy stuff
Quote by greendayispunk
i am planning to put it on a squier bullet strat do what bja did :P

You're allowed to be yourself, you know.
Quote by GNRjungle87

Plus, he used a full size JB.

Anyhow, I'm not a big fan of the JB. I prefer the Duncan Distortion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by GNRjungle87

yeah i know but i ams still in the process of discovering my tone i am in the covers stage at the moment
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by al112987
a ton of people use the JB, I personally despised them in my guitar.

You had multiple JB's in the same guitar? Neck and Bridge?
I hear Jbs have alot of bottem end? Is this true?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by Fizzyx
You had multiple JB's in the same guitar? Neck and Bridge?
No, I only had one in my bridge. There isn't a JB neck model to my knowledge and my less open minded side didn't like the thought of a 16k humbucker that already has a loose and indistinct low end in the neck. It simply begs for mud, a huge problem that les pauls are already very susceptible to.

And no I have not had multiple JBs, just one that I purchased maybe... 5-6 years ago and I played an '80s JBJ that was in a friend's bastardized '70s les paul deluxe, which was a horrible sounding instrument in itself so I will refrain from commenting on the pickup in that guitar as I hear the MJ wound JBs are much better than the product you get off the shelf these days, I wouldn't doubt it, I've heard MJ wound '59s that just blew the socks off the ones you order from MF or GC, but they're also twice the price of the ones you order from MF or GC.

But I had the pickup in the bridge of my guitar, and while I do not think that it is a bad pickup, I believe it is a bad pickup in les pauls. The low end is simply too indistinct, there is not a lot of it but imo the pickup does not deal well with the round, deep bass of a les paul style guitar and in addition, it was also too bright to really try to use higher value pots to open the sound up without it getting screechy, so I pulled it and recently sold it to someone who should have better luck than I (the pickup is really better with lighter, thinner sounding guitars ironically, just as long as the right value pots are used)
I don't think they're great at all. They come stock in a lot of guitars because it sounds alright for a lot of stuff. Versatility is the name of it's game. But for any genre, you can easily find a better pickup. I think it's for people learning and for cover bands. I feel that everyone reaches a point in their playing where versatility doesn't matter. You seek your own tone, and if you decide to cover something, you'll make it your own anyway. You don't need to sound similar at all to the song you're covering to make it sound really good. It's about the player, not equipment. The equipment only embellishes the player. I don't find that it adds anything unless you're coming from crappy pickups or from pickups that don't suit you. The JB is the Jack-of-all-trades pickup, but it's the master of none. I also feel the same way about the Jazz.
al112987, I have a JBJ direct mounted to my Kramer 5150 replica and it screams though it overpowers my 5 watt Champ 600 too much on higher volumes. Definitely a pup with balls. Tough to find but worth it I think if you like JB's. JBJ's are great, I also have a TB4J which I would think is wound by MJ too. Still best pup out there is the '78 model though from Duncan
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by King of King V
I hear Jbs have alot of bottem end? Is this true?

Ive got mine in a strat and theres not a lot of bottom end , but theres no to little either , its just right ,

but in a les paul im not too sure
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
They are good in a dark guitar. I cannot stand the horrible sizzly high end they have on a guitar that is slightly bright. They have a certain sweetness to the mids but that high end makes me want to chew aluminum foil and shave with a cheeses grater.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
I was thinking about putting one in the bridge of my Aria Pro II.... but I'm not 100% sure yet... I do know that every time I go to Guitar Center I play a Kramer 1984 reissue with a single JB slanted in the bridge position through a Peavey JSX, and it sounds really good. But I've also considered the Dimarzio Evolution or Super Distortion.... maybe even the SD Screamin' Demon... but hey, if EVH used JBs, they can't be horrible.
IMHO the screamin' demon should have been called the wimperin' disappointment. I suppose it may have its place just not in any of my guitars. lol and doesn't EVH use the good old SH-1?....or at least used to.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Last edited by miketheslut at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I hear the MJ wound JBs are much better than the product you get off the shelf these days, I wouldn't doubt it, I've heard MJ wound '59s that just blew the socks off the ones you order from MF or GC, but they're also twice the price of the ones you order from MF or GC.

This is absolutely correct. I noticed, as you did, that Les pauls are a whole lot pickier about bridge pickups than most guitars. I have a stock JB in my strat and it's perfect there, but in a LP it's a total mess and needs a lot of tweaking.

I got a custom shop JB wound by MJ, however, and it's great in my LP. It's a very different beast than the stock pickup, though I have to say it's just too hot for some applications. I'm swapping it out for a PAF in my LP, and it will go in my SG which has a much hotter neck pickup.
Quote by miketheslut
IMHO the screamin' demon should have been called the wimperin' disappointment. I suppose it may have its place just not in any of my guitars. lol and doesn't EVH use the good old SH-1?....or at least used to.

All I know is he played Kramers back in the 80s, and those all came with JBs in them... I think.
I had always heard it was the '59 in those early Kramers and Eddie's homebrewed jobs. It was almost impossible to find a high end Kramer that didn't have a JB back in the day so it may well have been a SH-4. Ratt used them, Lynch used them, almost anybody with hairspray or mousse on their head used them. Even Dave Mustaine claimed to have used them on certain songs but I can't pick them out on any Megadeth tracks.
Last edited by miketheslut at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by miketheslut
I had always heard it was the '59 in those early Kramers and Eddie's homebrewed jobs. It was almost impossible to find a high end Kramer that didn't have a JB back in the day so it may well have been a SH-4. Ratt used them, Lynch used them, almost anybody with hairspray or mousse on their head used them. Even Dave Mustaine claimed to have used them on certain songs but I can't pick them out on any Megadeth tracks.
It was neither, dunno about the Kramers but Eddie's pickup in the frankenstein guitar, at least back in the early days, was a PAF that he had rewound by Seymour. Seymour still offers this wind and it's called the '78. Higher in output than the '59 and uses a long A2 magnet which softens the attack.
Quote by DSOTM80
al112987, I have a JBJ direct mounted to my Kramer 5150 replica and it screams though it overpowers my 5 watt Champ 600 too much on higher volumes. Definitely a pup with balls. Tough to find but worth it I think if you like JB's. JBJ's are great, I also have a TB4J which I would think is wound by MJ too. Still best pup out there is the '78 model though from Duncan

Hi, i have located a JBJ dbl hb.
It is an 80's pup and i was after an opinion on price.

Is £50 second hand good for this pup?
Quote by chimplad
Hi, i have located a JBJ dbl hb.
It is an 80's pup and i was after an opinion on price.

Is £50 second hand good for this pup?

I'm not sure of the prices in pounds but I paid $50US plus shipping for mine which was ....hell I dunno something under $70 Canadian. Just look at it like this, they are tough to find, if you want it then get it you might not find one again for a while. Just make sure its in good condition and worth buying
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i gots one. i need a new amp though, and i happen to be also getting a jcm2000.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
I have a plain old factory JB - finicky pickup.
Sounds a bit toppy in my Charvel. I think it would probably work better on a rosewood 'boarded instrument.
I'm wondering what I'll do with it if I replace it - it will probably go in the cheap old Peavey my brother has, where it should work better. Never been an outstanding pickup to my ears, but I don't think it's bad.

The Custom 5 tends to be a good alternative - hot A5 PAF sound but without the EQ quirks of the JB.