Poll Options
View poll results: Supper at my house:
We frequently eat at the table and discuss
67 42%
We eat together, but don't talk much
26 16%
We eat in the living room and watch television
26 16%
We rarely eat together. Too busy for that.
39 25%
Voters: 158.
Page 1 of 2

Traditionally, families gathered together for an evening meal. They sat at a table, ate together, and observed basic "table manners". Parents and their children used this time to discuss events that occurred during the day, make plans for upcoming events, and talk about problems they faced.

It seems like this tradition has become a rarity, rather than the norm. A meal might be prepared, but the family members eat at different times, or they watch television while they eat. Supper has been reduced to the process of getting food into our bodies and not much more. I believe an important part of family life has been largely neglected. Do you agree?

What's supper like at your house?

EDIT
My own experience: As a small child we were to sit quietly at the table and speak only when spoken to. As we got older, we were allowed to initiate conversation, but mostly my older sister was the only one doing that. For some reason we began eating dinner from trays in the living room, then in my late teens, we all seemed to just "grab and go" at suppertime. Everyone was on a different schedule.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Aug 23, 2009,
Supper is my dad drinking wine infront of the computer, my mom not eating at all because she thinks not eating at all is a healthy way to lose weight, my sister is eating candy in her room, my brother is eating something egg-related because he exercises alot. Myself I either eat nothing or - which has been the case recently - I prepare something like soup, bread, porridge, a salad or something.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yes it has.

My dinners consist of me visiting my cousin's house where a lot of us meet up together around a table for tea and talk about anything and everything.
My mother spends 2 hours preparing the food, then we sit down, my stepdad links the food to any appropriate animal excrement, just to show off his ''I'm the leader of this house hurrr'' penis to me, the only other male in the house.

Mum gets pissed, he gets pissed at me for not wearing socks/slippers/white clothing, I tell him to fuck off, mum bawwwwws, I go to my own room and finish my food.

I usually just stay in there these days.
My family is traditional like the 1st post, my parents are quite strict about dinner being eaten at the table.
I still eat around the dinner table with my family, its what ive always done it can be quite fun sometimes and dad always makes fukin awesome meals. That just me though dont know about you guys.
My family usually all eat at the table at the same time. If unlucky our dad usually comes home late so he won't be able to eat with us. But we all usually eat at the same time.
DeVillains!
We all eat in different rooms. Not because we're busy but because if we did eat together there would be no conversation, only awkwardness.
We eat together and talk and ****.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
We try to have lunch together.

But brother and I were different shifts at school so one of us always had a cold meal and my dad travels a lot...
Our living room and kitchen are like connected, so we watch TV together during dinner
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Quote by Masamune
The food passes that fast through your system huh?
Yeah, we sit on stools that we converted into buckets.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433

Those were pretty common in the good old days.
We used to eat at the table and my parents would always talk about work and me and my sister never understood any of it. Nowadays we just eat in the living room in front of the TV. Most of the time its the same meal, but sometimes I just get toast instead or something.

stratkat
Quote by element4433

So you've got a stool full of stools, eh.

On topic, we used to sit around the dinner table and share a good 30 - 60 minutes together, but in these past 5 or so years, we've thrown out the table and just eat in the lounge room in fornt of the TV if we have dinner at all.

Kind of sad when I think about it. =/
We sit around the table while my sister moans about how ugly she is, my mother moans about how fat she is, my father moans about how no-one would care if he died tomorrow, and I secretely plan to off myself.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
We sit around the table while my sister moans about how ugly she is, my mother moans about how fat she is, my father moans about how no-one would care if he died tomorrow, and I secretely plan to off myself.

Sounds like a quote from a book. You should write a book.

I'd buy it.
Quote by soulflyV

I'd buy it.

I'm writing right now actually.

But shhh.

...And no, it's not erotic this time.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'm writing right now actually.

But shhh.

...And no, it's not erotic this time.

Quote by soulflyV

I'd buy it.
bleh. I'll wait for the movie.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
At my mums we usually eat around the table, but sometimes in living room in front of the TV and now and again in my bedroom. When we eat at the table we just finish our meals and go, no long conversations or anything.

However my Dad hasn't got a table so it's in the living room watching TV.
Quote by imdeth
We all eat in different rooms. Not because we're busy but because if we did eat together there would be no conversation, only awkwardness.
That sounds so sad.

Quote by ESPplayer5150
A modern family nowadays would be at mcdonalds.
I don't think that's the norm, just yet. But there's too much of that, for sure.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I sit at a nice table with my rents and sister, and talk about everything from music, politics and the days 'drama' lol. Also eating healthy food. I guess I'm lucky?
We just eat and not really talk.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
When I was a kid my mother worked shifts. One week 7am to 3pm/5pm and the other week 3pm to 11pm/3am. When my Mam was working days we'd all eat together at the table when Dad came home, when she was working nights I ate dinner with my childminder and her family.
Since my Mam and Dad got new jobs that's changed. My Brother, Mam and I now eat at the table together but my Dad eats later when (if) he comes home. I tend sit and chat with him while he eats though.

I'm in college most of the time though, so me and my housemates eat together because it's cheaper.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
we have a lot off to each other.. it's awesome, just take the piss out of each other.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by imdeth

So sad...

On the topic, we (my sister, my parents and myself) eat together. None of us are very fond of making food though, so it's only something simple on weekdays. It's a little more elaborate on weekends, as my mum has some extra time to cook up nice stuff.

We do, however, try to have one 'make-your-own-dinner' day, where we pretty much make our own dinners whenever we want. It's a great day for my parents to work extra time if they need it or stuff like that.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Table manners, good food and drink and good conversation are the only things my parents have ever been strict about in my growing up. We always eat together actually, I'm pleased we do. I wouldn't like it a different way.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Just eat when we want. I'm not usually at home and when i am we eat in seperate rooms. I'm not very family oriented and would rather spend time with my friends.
we have a proper sit down meal every night. It is kinda nice to just sort of sit down and talk with the family sometimes.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I get the point of the "ritual" of it, but the process of ingesting food absolutely DOESN'T need to involve any type of social interaction whatsoever. I like read while eating.
Quote by original=punk
I get the point of the "ritual" of it, but the process of ingesting food absolutely DOESN'T need to involve any type of social interaction whatsoever. I like read while eating.
Of course not!

But seriously, the gathering of the family on a daily basis is important, imo. This is the kind of behaviour that strengthens the bonds. What better way is there to maintain the family connections than a daily meal and conversation?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
^Well put

We do the good ol traditional family meal. We're busy enough that we don't typically all end up being there but whoever's home does eat together
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
We still do the family-dinner deal every night. It's nice, I suppose. I always eat in about .2 seconds, so I never stay long.
That Boy Has His Elbows On The Table. Blasphemy.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Page 1 of 2