title is pretty self explanitory, my dad is convinced that if you plug a guitar with "too hot" of pickups, or variax or pod, into the front of an amp, check sig, that it can fry the input because the signal is too powerful

now i know that some things like, a variac, not to be confused with a variax, (the previous was used by eddie van halen to get his classic sound) can fry an amp because it completely boosts the signal into extremes, a problem that eddie overcame by buying new amps

alas, we don't have that much cash, so my overall question is this

plugged into the front of an amp, which of these can or cannot fry and amp's input:

a "hot" guitar (think emgs, hot dimarzios or duncans) yes i know this is impossible, just humor me
variax/midi modeling guitar
compact pedals, modulations, boost/overdrive, delay/reverb like boss, digitech, etc.
multieffects like the digitech rp series, also tc electronic
modeling pedals like the pod series

thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
if you turn on the amp and its not plugged thru a speaker that it will kill it.

"too hot" Pups wont kill an amp
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
You would require a huge voltage from your pickups to fry a tube amp. I've heard that it is possible for a very hot signal to destroy transistors or ic's due to the fact that they do not overdrive well.

Either way guitar pickups and a few pedals alone will not destroy an amp.
A variac changes how much voltage the amp sees, thereby reducing it's headroom, IIRC.

But, no, all those things won't make your amp go boom.
If you plug a speaker out into an amplifier input, it will get fried. That is all I can think of, other than not connected to speakers. And even then, its only if you play through it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
If you plug a speaker out into an amplifier input, it will get fried. That is all I can think of, other than not connected to speakers. And even then, its only if you play through it.

Nope just turning a head on without connected speakers could fry the output transformer and well anything in the currents way really
The only type of frying I've ever heard of is a guitar signal (50k Ohms) frying recording equipment (1k Ohms) but that happens veeerrrry slowly.

And no, plugging line outputs into guitar inputs will not fry the electronics, however if the volume's up it may destroy the speaker, which is why the omnipresent MG15CD is a keyboard player's best friend
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
yeah, i knew that, i just wanted to be triple sure, thanks for the responses so far

also, i know about the not plugging it into speakers can kill it thing, i just mean as far as what you would normally put between your guitar and the input of your amp
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
I was talking about speaker outs, not line outs.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Metalmaker
plugged into the front of an amp, which of these can or cannot fry and amp's input:
Impossible to say. Most tube amps can withstand ridiculously large signals and not be damaged, although they might sound pretty nasty while that signal is being applied. A some solid state amps can withstand a lot, others not-so-much. Depends on the amp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if you turn on the amp and its not plugged thru a speaker that it will kill it.

I did that once.. turned out alright.. crapped myself though
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
1. Get a big huge bass amplifier.
2. Plug speaker out of bass amplifier into guitar amplifier line in.
3. Plug a bass guitar into the bass amplifier and wallop the strings.
4. Turn on the amps.
5. ???
6. Profit!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by xander307
I did that once.. turned out alright.. crapped myself though

Yeah, it's rather exaggerated. People make it seem like it's "Play a tube amp without speakers attached and it goes KABOOM!" when in reality it's more like "Depending on the amp, playing without a load might fry your output transformer. Probably not instantly and possibly not at all, tho."
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Also, it depends on whether or not you actually pass signal through it. If you don't plug anything in, you'll have a better chance of being a-okay.
Quote by Union Of V
The only type of frying I've ever heard of is a guitar signal (50k Ohms) frying recording equipment (1k Ohms) but that happens veeerrrry slowly.
Nope, not gonna happen.

Plugging the speaker out of one amp into another amp's input is not a good idea. But devices with line level audio is unlikely to hurt an amp. But it could sound pretty bad.