What are my options for putting a humbucker into a single coil slot? My singer has hit real tough times. Sold all his guitars except the strat his parents gave him 20 yrs ago and I am hanging on to that for him. Problem is compared to my ESP it sounds thin. I'd like to drop a stacked bucker in the bridge to try to fatten him up. I know you can't work miracles by a simple pickup change but anything would be an improvement.
Seymour Duncan is a good brand for these. They have the 'rails' series (Hot rails, Cool rails, Vintage rails), they also have the Duckbucker, and the JB Jr (Which I would recommend).
i think gretsch do a mini humbucker, and they are quite nice sounding
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
depending on you're budget the GFS lil killers are nice. Otherwise I'd take Baby Joel's route with seymour duncan, or maybe even dimarzio.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
depending on you're budget the GFS lil killers are nice. Otherwise I'd take Baby Joel's route with seymour duncan, or maybe even dimarzio.

Not sure where you are in the world, but Irongear over here in the UK, do stacked and Rail types...very very good and excellent pricing.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Not sure where you are in the world, but Irongear over here in the UK, do stacked and Rail types...very very good and excellent pricing.

I'm thinking of these to drop into my Squier, how good are they?

I have a SteamHammer and the sound clips were great (haven't finished the build yet lol), but for the price, I'd say they can't be beaten TS.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by h8mtv
What are my options for putting a humbucker into a single coil slot? My singer has hit real tough times. Sold all his guitars except the strat his parents gave him 20 yrs ago and I am hanging on to that for him. Problem is compared to my ESP it sounds thin. I'd like to drop a stacked bucker in the bridge to try to fatten him up. I know you can't work miracles by a simple pickup change but anything would be an improvement.

Your changing a guitar that doesn't belong to you, and was given by the owners parents? It obviously means something to him since it's his last guitar left. I don't suggest changing it. Unless there's another part of the story not told here, or else I would just take good care of it and keep playing the ESP.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Last edited by wair138 at Aug 23, 2009,
I've played the Seymour Duncan hot rails and the Dimarzio rails.
The Dimarzio's sounded a lot closer to a full sized humbucker to my ears.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Dawginator
I'm thinking of these to drop into my Squier, how good are they?

I have a SteamHammer and the sound clips were great (haven't finished the build yet lol), but for the price, I'd say they can't be beaten TS.

Well. If you have a Steam Hammer, I should imagine you can judge for yourself that the other pickups, will be as good if not better than the pricier competition

I'm looking to put a steam hammer in the bridge, pig iron in the middle and a split rail in the neck.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!