Page 1 of 2
What are your thoughts?

I have a line 6 spider III amp and i am wondering if it will give me a hardcore metal tone. I also would like to know if it is fun to play.
It will give you the same hard-core metal tone as if you were playing any other guitar.
Through your current amp, that is.

Also, I think the Razorbacks are cheap ways for Dean to exploit people into buying Dime's name.
Wow
The razorback is personally the worst guitar i've EVER played.. and I think i've played all the guitars in all the guitar shops around.. The design is ugly -.-' and they sound even worse.. (IMO)

The line6 spider III is a cheap digital modelling amp.. There is no way you can get hardcore tone out of it.. and prepare your flame shield
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Wow
The razorback is personally the worst guitar i've EVER played.. and I think i've played all the guitars in all the guitar shops around.. The design is ugly -.-' and they sound even worse.. (IMO)

The line6 spider III is a cheap digital modelling amp.. There is no way you can get hardcore tone out of it.. and prepare your flame shield

wow...

that's possibly the most negative post i've EVER seen in this forum.

congrats

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
if your thinking about buying one id go for it
i was going to get one but i got an esp fx 260 instead and im having second guesses if i made the best choice

and i have a spider iii also
i personally love it
{[WD Punk]}
Last edited by WD Punk at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by (0_o)
What are your thoughts?

I have a line 6 spider III amp and i am wondering if it will give me a hardcore metal tone. I also would like to know if it is fun to play.

On a completely unrelated note, swap your Spider for an MG. It will give you CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!!! But not a hardcore metal tone. Dammit.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
ive got one, bought it in 2006 i gotta say it plays good, but theyre quality control is **** ... my RB shards plays totally diffrent to how my friends razorback two-tone plays, his neck is like double the width of mine , painting errors are on mine .. not worth the £899 i payed for it, he got his after mine , their qualitys going downhill .. since Dean Z left they have nose plummeted(sp?)
Quote by Hoodoo Child
wow...

that's possibly the most negative post i've EVER seen in this forum.

congrats

Dude he asked me my opinion.. That's MY opinion.. There is no right or wrong opinion you know?
Quote by Vitor_vdp
IMO they sound really bad, and you'll probably end up with a hole in your ribs, so... End of story, get an ESP or Jackson for metal

The Razorback is just trying too hard- I agree with getting an ESP or Jackson, and I would like to throw in Ibanez- they are just classier guitars for metal with higher quality materials and playability for the price.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
The Razorback is just trying too hard- I agree with getting an ESP or Jackson, and I would like to throw in Ibanez- they are just classier guitars for metal with higher quality materials and playability for the price.

How the hell did I forget Ibanez
facepalm at myself
and really, every Dean i've ever played has felt kind of like,... so so.. i just can't get into them.
And there's also Scheter for you to try, but they have thicker necks
Add Schecter to the Ibby, ESP and Jackson. And high End BC RIch's as well. They are teh br00talzzz :P
Wow, thank god I didnt get my razorback yet lol.

Sounds like these guitars arent too great. I am also looking into a Schecter C1 FR.How are those and how much do they usually cost?

Also, does my amp suck for metal and clean passages?
Worst looking guitar in the world. Popular because of it's name (well, the name they are using to sell it) and the guarantee that you'll look 'metal*'.
It looks like the **** I use to scribble on napkins when I was 6, along with race cars with spikes on the front, rockets on the back and guns on the top.

*a twat

edit ^ I have a Schecter hellraiser. The specs are pretty amazing, the build is amazing. It stayed in-tune from the shop in the US to my house in the UK. I can't really fault it except everyone seems to use them. Just loses it's niche appeal it once had.

Oh, and a new amp will make more of a difference than a new guitar, tone-wise.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Aug 23, 2009,
Oh, and the guitar I have is a fender squier strat.

I got it for christmas and it isnt the best guitar for metal.
1. Replace your amp first.
2. I'm not sure to be honest, my bands second guitarist got one, but he doesn't have the best amp, so I can't be sure of how they sound with a good amp.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
in all honesty DEan Razorbacks arent bad, the componants in them are pretty good as the FR is made by Grover. its the main fact that they are an aquired taste, like all guitars you gotta search through the crap to find the diamond.

The main problem people find is that its in Honour of Dime. thats abit of a sore subject on these forums. best thing i can say which im suprised nobody else has said is try one out for yourself and dont listen to us lot, there are quite afew good deans around that ive played and set up for others.

Have a look at selling your spider and getting the valveking combo or somethign in the lines of a cheap valve combo
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by WD Punk
if your thinking about buying one id go for it
i was going to get one but i got an esp fx 260 instead and im having second guesses if i made the best choice

and i have a spider iii also
i personally love it

It's because you got a 260 model. Don't go ESP/LTD unless you plan on going 400 or above.

OP: I think that if you can get a better guitar for the price.
i had a line 6 spider 3 amp, and i tried my guitars and my m8s guitars (one of which is a razorback) and they all sounded the same, so i got rid of the amp, and got a krank revo, best decision i ever made!
Razorbacks look cool....

The Explosion is my favorite. It hung in a music store down the road for so long. I wanted to steal it so badly...

Razorbacks have great high output passive pickups. Which many people aren't giving them credit for. But they aren't flexible by any means. I wouldn't suggest this guitar to someone unless they had another guitar that was far more flexible like thee...

Schecter C-1 Classic. 6 strings of sexyness.

The Hellraiser is amazingly, pretty flexible. The coil tapping helps a lot and is really the only thing going for that guitar.
Line 6 Spider III + Razorback = Super uber metal hardcore tone.

Go for it, I would totally do that.

But all I have is a crappy Ibanez and a sucky Vypyr
alright so should i get a schecter hellraiser or a dean razorback slime bumblebee?

Like i said, i play metal and clean passages(like the acoustic section of battery).

I understand the line 6 has like the same tone for every guitar but i need something that will blow my squier out of the water.....
Quote by (0_o)
alright so should i get a schecter hellraiser or a dean razorback slime bumblebee?

Hellraiser all the way for me personally.

I understand the line 6 has like the same tone for every guitar but i need something that will blow my squier out of the water.....

It may just be me, but I can't play well when I don't like my tone, and frankly a Dimebucker through a 15W SS amp hurt my ears, so I really think the Squier will actually blow it away unless you aren't like me and can play with tone you don't love.

Razorbacks are ridiculously overpriced. But they aren't as terrible as people make them out to be. the price is the worst thing.
Well, price may not be an issue considering that if i get it, it will be about 400
Quote by (0_o)
Is it legal for me to bump this thread?

No. The Feds are on their way, RUN! RUN! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD RUN!!
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
wow, I just joined this board and ya'll are nuts!

So anyway, later on this week i am gonna go test drive the razorback. Then I MIGHT be testing out a schecter C-1 FR at guitar center.
Quote by (0_o)
wow, I just joined this board and ya'll are nuts!

So anyway, later on this week i am gonna go test drive the razorback. Then I MIGHT be testing out a schecter C-1 FR at guitar center.

And nuts we are indeed, good sir.

Anyway, I would definitely go for the Schecter over the low-end Razorback. But I would also recommend a Blackstar HT-5 amp if you consider changing your amp.

And the Slime Razorback is overpriced as hell from what I can see at the Dean website. But that's just my opinion.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Aug 24, 2009,
If you buy a Razorback used I recommend it... why? You get a $1,200 guitar that plays about like a $600 for the $600 guitar price. It's really not that bad of a guitar, the LFR is the same LFR on just about every single other medium quality guitar out there. It works just fine. My biggest complaint about the razorback is the stock pickups; however, you can easily sell those on ebay with the amount of dime fans.

If you have $1,000 or so, you can get a used Razorback and a used Vetta II or 5150 combo and you would have a better rig than the majority of the UG users.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you buy a Razorback used I recommend it... why? You get a $1,200 guitar that plays about like a $600 for the $600 guitar price. It's really not that bad of a guitar, the LFR is the same LFR on just about every single other medium quality guitar out there. It works just fine. My biggest complaint about the razorback is the onboard pickups; however, you can easily sell those on ebay with the amount of dime fans.

If you have $1,000 or so, you can get a used Razorback and a used Vetta II or 5150 combo and you would have a better rig than the majority of the UG users.

This man speaks the truth, TS.
Well, I guess I will be getting a Dean Razorback.THe schecters are nice but the razorback that I am getting is way cheaper than a used schecter c-1.

Oh, I have one more question....

With my line 6, i always have it on the clean setting and i play through a digitech RP50 distortion processor. Is this better than the insane setting on the amp?
Quote by (0_o)
Well, I guess I will be getting a Dean Razorback.THe schecters are nice but the razorback that I am getting is way cheaper than a used schecter c-1.

With my line 6, i always have it on the clean setting and i play through a digitech RP50 distortion processor. Is this better than the insane setting on the amp?

Eh, I would probably sell the RP50 and put towards better pickups. Sorry to tell you but they're not that good especially when paired up with the Spider. They just don't work well together and the spider sounds better alone anyway.

As far as pickups, there is a huge pickup thread in UG somewhere, if I knew where it was I would point you towards it. My personal recommendations are
Neck:
Dimarzio PAF Pro, Fred, Joe, Air Norton, Tone Zone, or Seymour Duncan Jazz, 59

Bridge:
Dimarzio Evolution, Breed, Drop Sonic, D-Activator, Crunch Lab or Seymour Duncan JB.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Just for the record, leave the Razorback behind if you like volume swells; they're near-impossible on those things.

Quote by (0_o)

Just about anything is better than a Spider on Insane, and a RP50 is actually a good versatile processer for beginners.

But lets think about this for a second. A Schecter C-1 and a Razorback are completely different shaped guitars. You can't really just look at the specs on the internet and decide which will be better for you. I can tell you from experience that the Razorback is huge and the top spike likes to poke your ribs. I can also tell you that Dean's QC is spotchy and paint mistakes and differences between guitars are more common than you'd expect.

At the sametime, which C-1 are you thinking of getting? There are alot of differences between a Hellraiser and a Classic. Whichever one though, the C shape is one of the most comfortable Superstrat shapes i've played yet.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
They (Razorbacks) are uncomfortable, sound a bit crappy, did I mention they were uncomfortable? Sitting position especially. It's really sharp. Uncomfortable, when stood up as well.

Did you see that point of that?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Page 1 of 2