Page 1 of 2
well, i'm taking the plunge... good few years reading on here, i think it's about time i joined in thinking about building a 5-string gecko bass for the missus in time for xmas, she's been after a new bass for a while now...

basic spec:

maple/mahogany laminated thru neck
mahogany wings
quilt top
ebony board (possibly maple, still musing on that)
24 frets
36" scale
wave inlays, might inlay her name at the 12th to personalise it a bit

not sure on bridge and pups yet... any contributions, ideas and traps i might fall into welcome
*Looks foward to this*

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
*Also looks forward to this*

also, bassist chicks=hot

that is all.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Don't know if you should surprise her with it... Involving her would be great cause the instrument will be customized to all her needs and wishes. I suggest you think about it..
------------------
probly to be sure that the 5th string isn't muddy. My bassist's 5 string sounds fine at 34", but I'm just guessing that's the reason, aside from personal preference.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

im looking forward to this
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
get some like, mockup designs up here to keep us going for now
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Sounds awesome.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by Mky
Don't know if you should surprise her with it... Involving her would be great cause the instrument will be customized to all her needs and wishes. I suggest you think about it..

undoubtedly a good point... i do, however, have the advantage of many hours spent windowshopping and a knowledge of what she likes and hates about our current little collection to play with

as above, the 36" is just to ensure clarity on the B, flappy strings are not so bad for my detuned black metal shenanigans, but she has a tendency towards more funky fingerstyle-type stuff... that is one of the points in thought, i don't want to trade off the long scale against the overall playability of the thing

cheers for all the comments, i'll see if i can't put together a plan for you to look at
35" ensures the clarity of the low B string with ease. And getting strings for a 36" scale is going to be difficult and will limit the brands you can use
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
35" ensures the clarity of the low B string with ease. And getting strings for a 36" scale is going to be difficult and will limit the brands you can use
Brands of what?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Brands of what?

strings.

and I'm part of the crowd that thinks that 1 inch is going to make little difference.

go with 35 if you want that 'clarity'

what may help, what bands does she listen to? what effects does she use? what amp? what basses does she like? what are her EQ settings usually?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Surely you get more than one inch of spare string on bass strings? Buying normal strings for a baritone guitar isnt a problem...

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Surely you get more than one inch of spare string on bass strings? Buying normal strings for a baritone guitar isnt a problem...

I think they would fit. I have yet to string a 36er myself. played em. the closest thing to a tonal improvement was it made playing Time is Running Out easier to play with my pinky.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
for those of you wanting plans, here's a very vague mock-up...

at the moment, 35" scale with the fretboard raised above the body to give regular string height (a la the neckthru in the Koch book), are an angled neck or recessed bridge better ideas? on that note, i've left the bridge and pups as nondescript boxes for now, but i'm leaning towards single-string bridge units, for choice of bridge spacing and better sustain (plus the added advantage of looking generally badass )... might have to work a bit with the placement on that or have a look at making the body slightly longer, they're longer than a usual bass bridge. left the headstock alone for now as well

neck wood was ordered a while back, just waiting for the package (itchy fingers )
i do hope that you have plans for the headstock.......

on my tele build i recessed my bridge, as i the idea of having to put an angle on the neck scared me. its pretty simple to reccess, i just drew round my bridge and milled tinside it until i got to the right depth. if you are reccessing tho, remember to do a little bit at a time, as goin too deep can mess it up.
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Quote by Robbo1422
i do hope that you have plans for the headstock.......

on my tele build i recessed my bridge, as i the idea of having to put an angle on the neck scared me. its pretty simple to reccess, i just drew round my bridge and milled tinside it until i got to the right depth. if you are reccessing tho, remember to do a little bit at a time, as goin too deep can mess it up.

there's a plan for the headstock... i just don't know what it is yet
Good to hear I shall be watching this closely
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
^That would be an epic finish for a guitar
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
thank you. i figured it'd at last have gecko inlays or a day gecko/tokay gecko aint job

edit: i'll still watch this build
Last edited by blandguitar at Sep 2, 2009,
geckos? i have those too

looks like this one is on indefinite hiatus until Craft Supplies get back to me about where my neck lams are... over three weeks since my payment cleared, no parcel, not a word about when the stuff is coming, nor whether something is out of stock and they're waiting for it to come in, no reply as yet to my email enquiring if the package has left the building yet

peeved.
do a paintjob like THIS!!!

either airbrushed or graphics, idk, but it would be awesome to see
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by ThroneOvSeth
looks like this one is on indefinite hiatus until Craft Supplies get back to me about where my neck lams are... over three weeks since my payment cleared, no parcel, not a word about when the stuff is coming, nor whether something is out of stock and they're waiting for it to come in, no reply as yet to my email enquiring if the package has left the building yet

peeved.
Craft supplies suck, end of, lol I would just start phoning them everyday untill you have the wood or your money back.

Unfortunately I dont have any neck through maple or I would sell you some, if I did I'de be using it

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
and lo, it would appear that i owe Craft Supplies a grovelling apology for the above rant... parcel was despatched the day my card was charged and the lovely people at Parcelforce neglected to leave me a note saying they'd tried to deliver, it was at the post office next door the whole time

but hey, my neck lams are here, and the adventure begins...
and here they are!

and a rough fit-up of what the blank should look like... might stain or replace the off-looking mahog stripe, decisions decisions

seems I have an email from USPS saying that my slab of QM was attempted delivered at 4.30 this morning as well (who the hell delivers at 4.30?!), ordered it with the mistaken idea that it would take aeons to arrive from the US
Quote by metal-matt
do a paintjob like THIS!!!
*big snake skin guitar picture*

either airbrushed or graphics, idk, but it would be awesome to see

Its done by first painting the guitar black then wrapping fish net stockings around it and paint the other pattern, the little highlights etc are then airbrushed in. Its actually a pretty simple paint job...
just found out where my QM landed at 4.30 this morning, it is currently in the care of a depot, awaiting my payment of the customs charges. 'whose depot?' i hear you ask...

... 'king Parcelforce
Last edited by ThroneOvSeth at Sep 11, 2009,
I feel for you.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
small weekend update...

glued up the neck blank in 3 stages, being a 7-piece i figure it's better to take longer with the gluing than have to deal with a bad case of slippage... decided to run with the lighter-coloured piece, having first looked at stains and realising that would probably make it darker than the other two, and then having the revelation that pre-staining it would be fairly futile as i'll be cutting into it for the neck shape (i'll get my dunce hat ). we'll have a look what it looks like once it's carved...

first glued set

second glued set, already i can see that this one will need some levelling

the two side blocks together

and the finished blank, clamped up

that comes out of the clamps sometime tomorrow, then i'll be getting the plane out
Lookin' nice
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

I would check those glue lines very carefully, those plastic clamps will probably not exert enough pressure for a good joint.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Page 1 of 2