So I'm in a band and we have some songs ,instrumentals for now, and all we need is a singer. (That's what most UG-ers said too)
We don't really want to get another band member because we're all good friends.

Guitarist: Would want to sing if that's the only solution, but can't sing that good.

Me: Horrible singer (really awful) , and I'm the drummer.

Bassist: Has a nice voice but doesn't WANT to sing. We don't really know why, but probably because he wouldn't be able to play complicated bass riffs.
*Edit: We're not going to force him.
Quote by fretsofthebeast
*grabs rifle*
so let it be written so let it be done..........

Quote by SOADrox429
You shouldn't hit your drummers. You're supposed to be nice to them, or they'll be scared of you.
Last edited by drummersRsmart at Aug 24, 2009,
rock-rap?
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
It is neither a Road, nor an Island. Discuss
you cannot force him to sing...
make him feel comfortable when he sings or give your guitar player a chance if your bassist doesn't want to sing at all.
if the bass lines are too hard, make them easier.
I think I heard of some bassists, maybe even geddy lee who lays down the bass riff and vocals separately for recording. And then simplifys the bass riff on live material
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Then make simple basslines for your songs. And they can be more difficult in parts where there is no singing. Problem solved.
Quote by xaviergray
Asking the Pit to play this is kinda like asking the guy who makes suggestive gay jokes if he wants to have sex with a man.
Well even then he doesn't WANT to...
Quote by fretsofthebeast
*grabs rifle*

Quote by SOADrox429
You shouldn't hit your drummers. You're supposed to be nice to them, or they'll be scared of you.
Or try to get a singer and make him your friend. But I personally do not think you should force your bass player. Maybe your guitar palyer can learn to be good.
It's hardly up to you whether or not he sings. Don't be so overcontrolling.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Your going to try to tell a bass player who doesn't not want to sing that he has to sing AND that he has to simplify his bass lines to do it... ha... good luck.
Seriously though, unless he has the smallest backbone in the world, this isn't going to work.
Why don't you just find someone else who's just a singer and add them, unless you think it will really affect your chemistry.

One idea would be have him sing some easy covers first, just to get comfortable singing and bassing, then move on to your originals.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Sorry to break up your little love triangle, but find a singer who wants to sing. Problem solved.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Well, you could try being very nice and encouraging to him about his singing but I doubt that would work. Forcing someone to sing doesn't really work as well as finding an enthusiastic singer. I know this because I've forced myself to sing.
I understand the lure of the trio, but maybe you should look for a Rythem Gtr player/singer, or a dedicated vocalist. Making people do things they dont want to do is hard enough when the HAVE to do it, but no should have to sing if they dont want to. Singing is hard enough without all the pressure.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
The guitarist wants to sing, and he has the foundations for a good voice. He'll get better with practice and singing lessons, and so will you.

You can't force someone to sing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Pete_C_Bass
rock-rap?

+1
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Where did I say I was going to force him?
Asking for advice isn't overcontrolling. And there's not a single (rock-ish)singer in this town.
Quote by fretsofthebeast
*grabs rifle*

Quote by SOADrox429
probably either too shy to sing in front of a crowd or just really would rather not, if you've asked him and he's 100% has no interest in it, find someone else to do it.... if he's not interested, then he's not interested.... singing is a different instrument entirely to playing bass... and just because you can doesn't mean you have an interest in it...

of course if he's just shy or whatever then encourage him to sing and say how good he is... but if just doesn't want to then leave it... not rocket science
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!