okay i am a young guitarist who started about 7 months ago.
i've done alot of research (atleast i think i have) looking around on the web on how to buy amps or what different amps are and such. but i still have alot more to know about these things so i had a questions.

When you buy a amp from a store is there certain things you look for before u buy it like if it was a model for show and u wanted the one people were using to see what it was like. Is it worth getting tube amp instead a solid state. So just things to know about getting a new amp, things to look for, things that may seem good but arent. just things to look out for and what stores are good for it (local small shops, guitar center types of shops or w.e) advice on how to get the best price mabye discounts
anything that could help on getting a nice amp with good price.

If theres a website with very good factual information please give me the link or if you have your own opinion on things please post

i've only had one amp a Crate GT15 i love it but i'm losing interest cause i cant explore anything new on it.

THANKS!
Typically valve amps are better than solid state, they sound warmer and fuller and more natural, but don't write off solid state amps either, especially just for practice or for all round versatility. Buying Second hand is almost always much better value than buying new, and there should be plenty of info in the stickies in this forum.
1.) I don't exactly know what you are trying to say about the first part.
2.) tube=awesome, as a general rule, they are smoother, more "real life sounding" and accept dynamics better (you probably didn't understand a single thing I just said)
3.) buy used, if you are buying new your getting scammed, thats how you get discounts, you can talk down on used too, also, look on craigslist, PG gear search, guitar center used, and ebay
4.) If you looking for a place with good factual information, you've found it. unfortunately the good information is basically hidden to new players and avoided in certain threads (dimebuckers in my tele). try looking on the gear page forum.

sorry, but you probably won't like your crate once you get a new amp
Yeah this^^. Sadly once you start reading the stickies here you will quickly get the urge to spend ALL of your money on gear you can't realistically afford. And so goes the search for tone. Happy hunting
what you said about your crate makes me think you're looking for a modelling amp. If this is the case then tube isn't really much of an option, with the exception of the spider valve and tube vypyrs. Tube amps are usually marketted for certain genres,wheras modellers basically give you a number of buttons switched and knobs, that will change your tone from something that is meant to sound like a twin reverb with pristine clean sounds to a JCM 800 for heavy metal and such. Some Tube amps are versatile, but are a far cry from modelling.

basically if you want versatillity, get a modeller, if you want something that sounds superb, get a nice SS or tube amp.

Just dont buy an amp that obviously has something wrong with it, dont buy a head unless you plan on getting a cabinet that is compatible with it, stay away from Line 6 Spiders, however if you find a cheap Flextone or Vetta, seriously consider it. Marshall may be a good name, but their amps are typically overpriced and the MG series are pretty bad and have a really bad reliability record.

And if you'd like amp recommendations you could always give us the whole budget, home/practice/gig, location, used or new, blah blah blah
Last edited by kurtebirdi at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by maverick_137
1.) I don't exactly know what you are trying to say about the first part.
2.) tube=awesome, as a general rule, they are smoother, more "real life sounding" and accept dynamics better (you probably didn't understand a single thing I just said)
3.) buy used, if you are buying new your getting scammed, thats how you get discounts, you can talk down on used too, also, look on craigslist, PG gear search, guitar center used, and ebay
4.) If you looking for a place with good factual information, you've found it. unfortunately the good information is basically hidden to new players and avoided in certain threads (dimebuckers in my tele). try looking on the gear page forum.

sorry, but you probably won't like your crate once you get a new amp

well i was just wanted information on amps

2 i know what u mean but like i dont know what the warmer sound feels like becasue i havent tired a nice amps yet.
well i've enjoyed the crate for a starter amp but i think its time i should upgrade
and what do you mean by "dimebuckers in my tele"?
Quote by ProgFolk12
Typically valve amps are better than solid state, they sound warmer and fuller and more natural, but don't write off solid state amps either, especially just for practice or for all round versatility. Buying Second hand is almost always much better value than buying new, and there should be plenty of info in the stickies in this forum.

thx for your input i'm am new to the forum so could you tell me what stickes are?
Well my advice would be to wait on gear for a while. My musical tastes have changed A LOT and im sure a lot of other guitarists' tastes have too. Even if you think your tastes wont change you may be very surprised.

I remember right when i started playing i was a die hard AC/DC fan and i thought i wouldnt ever listen to anything but good solid raw rock n' roll. Now i am chilling to The Flaming Lips, White Stripes, some grunge, and just a bunch of different artists that i never would have thought i would be really into 4 years ago.

If you really do want to get something new though i wouldnt recommend blowing a bunch of money on a nice amp quite yet. I didnt even buy any new equipment until i played for 2 1/2 years. Get a solid modeling amp such as a Vox VT30. I got a valvetronix and i liked it a lot. I even gigged with it waaaay back when i didnt have any money.

I bought a Traynor YCV50blue last summer and it's a great amp and all but i was still transitioning musical tastes. I still like it but i wish i would have waited to get an amp that suited me better.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
they're the threads at the very top of the thread list, they have blue(i think anyway) thumbtacks next to the thread name
Quote by kurtebirdi
what you said about your crate makes me think you're looking for a modelling amp. If this is the case then tube isn't really much of an option, with the exception of the spider valve and tube vypyrs. Tube amps are usually marketted for certain genres,wheras modellers basically give you a number of buttons switched and knobs, that will change your tone from something that is meant to sound like a twin reverb with pristine clean sounds to a JCM 800 for heavy metal and such. Some Tube amps are versatile, but are a far cry from modelling.

basically if you want versatillity, get a modeller, if you want something that sounds superb, get a nice SS or tube amp.

Just dont buy an amp that obviously has something wrong with it, dont buy a head unless you plan on getting a cabinet that is compatible with it, stay away from Line 6 Spiders, however if you find a cheap Flextone or Vetta, seriously consider it. Marshall may be a good name, but their amps are typically overpriced and the MG series are pretty bad and have a really bad reliability record.

And if you'd like amp recommendations you could always give us the whole budget, home/practice/gig, location, used or new, blah blah blah

i think a modeling amp is what i want rite now to experiment with different sounds
and i dont need a stack right now no need for loud playing for practice

ah thank you i posted another thread about my price and all people told me to get a peavey vypyr (which i was considering for like 2 months)
i have 220 dollars and i'm going to to sell my crate for 40bux
i dont gig i just play at home
i mean i dont mind used or new but if used i hope its a decent and not totally broken
Quote by Chuckleberry
Well my advice would be to wait on gear for a while. My musical tastes have changed A LOT and im sure a lot of other guitarists' tastes have too. Even if you think your tastes wont change you may be very surprised.

I remember right when i started playing i was a die hard AC/DC fan and i thought i wouldnt ever listen to anything but good solid raw rock n' roll. Now i am chilling to The Flaming Lips, White Stripes, some grunge, and just a bunch of different artists that i never would have thought i would be really into 4 years ago.

If you really do want to get something new though i wouldnt recommend blowing a bunch of money on a nice amp quite yet. I didnt even buy any new equipment until i played for 2 1/2 years. Get a solid modeling amp such as a Vox VT30. I got a valvetronix and i liked it a lot. I even gigged with it waaaay back when i didnt have any money.

I bought a Traynor YCV50blue last summer and it's a great amp and all but i was still transitioning musical tastes. I still like it but i wish i would have waited to get an amp that suited me better.

i totally get what you mean but my taste moved on guitar when i got my ibanez i really love the look and i bought it off looks (but its is still a amazing guitar i love it)
but now i am in to ESP Deans and such i wish i would have gotten a epiphone or something but my ibanez is still not a regret.

Right now i'm not planning to blow bunch of money casue i'm only 14 so i am not well with money and i dont want to take money from my parents becasue we're tight on money so i'm using my own

i just need something that will keep my interested for a year atleast or close to it
i dont wnat something that i'l like for like 2 months and i'll change my mind
Quote by kurtebirdi
they're the threads at the very top of the thread list, they have blue(i think anyway) thumbtacks next to the thread name

i see it thank you!
well, the vypyr definetely isn't a bad choice, you could also get a used flextone for a little bit more than you said you have, It is a step up from the low end modellers, and like everyone said, you can save by buying used. Other amps you should look at are the Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronix's. Avoid the Line 6 Spiders, they dont compare in sound quality to the other amps in their price range.
Quote by Chuckleberry

well the reason i want a new amp was becasue when i got my amp i was young and never was in love with much but 2 years later i fell in love so now i want to learn and i didnt look at the amp i was buying so it wasnt best for lasting interest. if i looked back i would have bought a roland cube or the vox mabye the peavy vypyr
so now i want to get a nice amp to do some cover on youtube and just practice playing guitar and stuff i dont need it for giging or anything
mabye it could be loud enough for a drummer becasue i might play with my friends
Quote by kurtebirdi
well, the vypyr definetely isn't a bad choice, you could also get a used flextone for a little bit more than you said you have, It is a step up from the low end modellers, and like everyone said, you can save by buying used. Other amps you should look at are the Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronix's. Avoid the Line 6 Spiders, they dont compare in sound quality to the other amps in their price range.

ah yes i hear things about the spider everywhere so i dont even look at them anymore.
and i've head good things about the flextone too
i've heard great things about the vypyr but some people say sometimes it doesnt turn on and stuff so its got me worried

i think i will try out amps at a store and see how i like them