http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U&feature=fvst

he's doing some crazy licks at about 3:19.
and at some point he's moving his guitar around while playing with one hand.
How come he's not getting unwanted string noise?
Is there a string dampener or is he just so skilled that he can play that so clean or something? i can see he uses his right hand to damp strings, but even when he releases it it sounds clean
Last edited by toine at Aug 23, 2009,
It's legato, I guess as his fingers descend over strings his fingers dampen them naturally, as far as ascending, that's when he's muting with his picking hand over the neck.

But on top of that, he is just that damn good :P
Quote by CeeJay08
It's legato, I guess as his fingers descend over strings his fingers dampen them naturally, as far as ascending, that's when he's muting with his picking hand over the neck.

But on top of that, he is just that damn good :P

this. /thread
Quote by blue_strat
This video is not available in my country due to copyright reasons.

just search steve vai tender surrender he's wearing a blue vest
Quote by mashizz
this. /thread

the '/thread' thing is really annoying and is becoming spam
He has pretty good ability to mute with one hand.

That video is NOT a live performance though, so some parts may be hard if not impossible to do without muting.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
He has pretty good ability to mute with one hand.

That video is NOT a live performance though, so some parts may be hard if not impossible to do without muting.

not live? you mean like playback?
Quote by toine
not live? you mean like playback?

Yes.

I made a huge post on it a few months ago, but it's buried somewhere in the depths of MT chat.

I made a (new) short analysis like yesterday, and it's in the Vai thread (last page) over at the 80's/shred/progressive forum.

He's a perfectionist, so even his play-backing needs to be as perfect as it can be, though he made 4 mistakes, but he (vai) uploaded a newly edited version on his youtube channel, cause I reckon he spotted them too.

To bad I found them first in the original vid, har har.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Yes.

I made a huge post on it a few months ago, but it's buried somewhere in the depths of MT chat.

I made a (new) short analysis like yesterday, and it's in the Vai thread (last page) over at the 80's/shred/progressive forum.

hmm , i never thought Vai would playback.
So can this mean that those fast licks can't really be played like that? with all his showoff?
Quote by toine
hmm , i never thought Vai would playback.
So can this mean that those fast licks can't really be played like that? with all his showoff?

Well, here's a real live version;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-BvmfNwAz0

Judge for urself.

Do understand, he uses a wah where he doesn't mute, so this cancels out some noise.

That coupled with a live audience noise + backing track/band sound, it won't be noticeable.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Aug 23, 2009,
He does that too on the G3 concert live in Denver in the "I Know You Are Here" Solo. Is pretty much about having a good muting technique.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS