How can I tell if my guitar is properly set up or not? Mine is pretty brand new just got it from guitar center less than 3 months ago. And it wasn't one off the floor, it was brand spanking new out of the box.

My low e string started to buzz a bit on the 3rd & 5th fret. So how can I tell if my setup is proper or not? Or maybe I just need to change the strings? That's what a buddy suggested
Yeah, change the strings. It's so simple...
Quote by xaviergray
Asking the Pit to play this is kinda like asking the guy who makes suggestive gay jokes if he wants to have sex with a man.
yeah, just change the strings, if it was badly set up, it would have buzzed the entire time, and not just now
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

New strings are a great start. Over on the custom build fourm thread "Help Please", I ran through some basic setup check steps. Maybe they will help.
You didn't say what kind of guitar you have?
change the strings for starters to see if that fixes the fret buzz

(below are some CHECKS but no need to adjust anything-unless you know what you are doing)

check the action (comfortable and allows easy bending but not so low as to choke the string, fret buzz or compromise sustain)

check the neck (look down the neck from the headstock should be a slight concave bow)

check the intonation (the 12th fret note(fretted) and natural harmonic should be the same)

(if fitted with a floating trem) check the bridge is parallel to the body
is the guitar buzzing acoustically or thru the amp?

if it's thru the amp then use a tiny allen wrench to adjust the saddle and raise the string a bit.

the how to is in the green link in my sig, first post.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah forgot to mention it's an Epi LP studio

And thanks guys I had no idea they weren't setup correctly out of the factory. What's the damage to my wallet for one? And how long would it take?

It's an acoustic buzz nothing through the amp(I think)
if it's just buzzing acoustically. then you're fine.
dont spend $50 setting up a guitar, if you have no real concerns.

you dont need any more adjustments, unless you feel the action is too high or something.

i thought it was a strat for some reason. but the how to, for TOM bridges is also in the first post of the thread in my sig.

also, it takes a couple of minutes to raise and lower the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 23, 2009,
It's just my preference, but if I got a new guitar, I'd have it set up right away.

That way I can just pay some guy to make my guitar generally better and make him put the strings I bought on so I don't have to do an amateur job on that

I'm so evil.
you know, stringing a guitar and adjusting the bridge really arent hard.

eventually you'll want to do it yourself.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Once I get that fancy gizmo that shows how bowed or relaxed it is and get all the proper tools and measurements... I'll do it myself.

On top of that I'll need a guitar stand so I can do it all properly...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Once I get that fancy gizmo that shows how bowed or relaxed it is and get all the proper tools and measurements... I'll do it myself.

On top of that I'll need a guitar stand so I can do it all properly...

you dont need a gizmo.

you fret the first and last frets. that's your straight edge.

then look at the middle. if it's got too much bow at the middle then a credit card will slip right in the gap.

as for a stand, just lay it on a table and roll up a couple of towels under the neck.

it'll stay still for you.

as for bridge adjustments, sometimes a tiny allen wrench is needed, sometimes just a flathead.

you can build up your tool box gradually, but tbh unless you're filing frets or installing a new nut, you can make do with a few simple items.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62