Situation: Friends / Girls / Guys are at house. Notices guitar. "Play me/us something!"

What do?

Lately I've been assessing myself as a guitarist and I've realized, if I'm ever put on the spotlight like that, I would be majorly screwed. Sure I could play songs, even a few solos but what should I play when I'm just asked to play something?

Should I start improvising? Without a backing track, solos seem to be missing that edge. If I start off an easy song, sure it'll be fun but I think I'm letting myself down as a guitarist. What would you do in that situation?

TL;DR - What do you do/play when put in the spotlight?
just play songs that are either impressive, or well known, I've been put on the spot enough, it always takes a while to think off something, and most of the time they don't know it, but still...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

yeh i kno the feelin, i always forget what i can play when im on the spot and end up playin the same old thing... extreme - more than words haha
people who dont play anything themselves are generally impressed more by songs they know. if they're more musical than you're average person walking down the street you can step it up and play something a bit fancier and maybe throw in a bit of improv.

if your grandmother asks for you to play something, it's best not to bust out the heaviest of metal that you know. tailor it to what you think they will know/enjoy.
people want to hear songs they know in situations like that - instrumentals on a single guitar are by and large boring unless you are very good. if you can sing along/get people singing along that's your best bet. you don't need to massively show off the whole time either - if you're worried about 'letting yourself down' play a song every knows when it's done ask people around if they want something next, then throw in a few complicated licks while they are giving suggestions.

if you're really not into doing the whole singing along thing learn some classical guitar people are much more willing to listen to that as a solo than they are to listen to rock songs. maybe try classical gas if you don't know any other classical songs, people listen when you play that
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I play canon rock because
- it is impressive
- it's a song that everybody know
- this is not boring to hear
- I don't need to sing along

Canon rock is only an exemple of classical music put into electric guitar. Fur elise work pretty well too, but sound way better on a acoustic.

Personally my sweep still suck, so during those part I only do some impro around the note of the chords that are suppose to be made with sweeping. Saying : Yeah, I improvised this part, always impress people, even if it's just simple pentatonic licks.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by bender424
I play canon rock because
- it is impressive
- it's a song that everybody know
- this is not boring to hear
- I don't need to sing along

Canon rock is only an exemple of classical music put into electric guitar. Fur elise work pretty well too, but sound way better on a acoustic.

Fur elise sounds like a disgusting turd on guitar. Plus its way overplayed on the piano, we don't need to bring on our instrument that isn't even suited to it.

Try the 996 bourree by bach, sounds hella impressive but its easy. Its overplayed too but at least it sounds good on guitar. There are lots of great pieces for classical guitar, pick up an RCM book or w/e.