I play leads and rhythm, basically a lot of metallica and a lot of all that remains and lamb of god, among other bands but I was wondering what's the best pickup for me? Right now I have a reeeally cheap Ibanez GRX20 guitar that came with one of those starter packs, and it came with a terrible stock humbucker which is what I'm using now. I've heard the EMG 81 is very good so I'm leaning towards that, any thoughts?
What amp are you using?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
81 in the bridge is pretty damn good. also check out the duncan blackouts those are pretty mean pups
Quote by salbarbz20
81 in the bridge is pretty damn good. also check out the duncan blackouts those are pretty mean pups

Yes the blackouts sound pretty good too, but putting a $100 pickup into a $150 guitar and running it through a modelling amp won't make much of a difference.

¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by JMcG92
Yes the blackouts sound pretty good too, but putting a $100 pickup into a $150 guitar and running it through a modelling amp won't make much of a difference.

this is true
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
EMG81 is good and also the Dimarzio Super Distortion.

But the problem is ur guitar needs to be upgraded aswell as msybe ur amp
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Yea, I'm pretty much on a pretty tight budget since I'm just a wittle teenager with not a lot of money . I have a 15W Peavey Vypyr modeling amp, probably the best 15W modeler out there but it's still what it is So yup and I might get a better guitar in the future and that's what I was thinking, I could transfer the pickup to the new one later. I was just thinking a good pickup would make my guitar sound not as crappy especially with the bad noise gate on my amp that lets all the extra noise on my leads and stuff get through.
Damn! Well I guess that is good advice thnx Then my new question is what kind of guitar should I get? That's the one area I really don't know much about. All I know is that they all cost at least a few hundred dollars and idk how to get the best bang for my buck.
Quote by omegamuff1n
Damn! Well I guess that is good advice thnx Then my new question is what kind of guitar should I get? That's the one area I really don't know much about. All I know is that they all cost at least a few hundred dollars and idk how to get the best bang for my buck.

The rule in general is to spend more on your amp than guitar, preferably twice as much. The style of guitar depends on what you want to play and the price (usually) determines the quality. There a re a few great bang-for-buck brands out there though such as Epiphone, Schecter, Agile, Fender (MIM) etc.

Tell us how much you'd be willing to spend and we can suggest guitars as best as we can, bearing in mind you'd have to save twice as much afterwards for the amp to really appreciate your new guitar.

Since you're interested in metal apparently, I would recommend looking at Ibanezes and LTDs. I can't really recommend you a specific Ibanez model, but the good LTDs start at around $600 if I'm not mistaken (The 401 series), and they come with real EMGs already installed if you find they're what you want.

Good luck
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
I'd be willing to spend maybe about $500 bucks max on a guitar. I'm not looking for the legendary ultimate axe of metal, just something I can play on. I thought the guitar didn't really matter a whole lot as much as the pickups since those are what really change the sound...maybe a new amp is what I really need, but if that's the case I'll just rig my existing guitar with good pickups and a great amp and it'll be almost as good. Like chuckles said, buy only what I really need, and in this case doesn't it look like an amp rather than a guitar? What makes guitars sound different besides the pups that pick up the strings' vibrations? If it's some minuscule detail that changes the sound a tiny bit, like wood quality or something, I'd think it's not worth it to buy a whole new guitar right?
Last edited by omegamuff1n at Aug 23, 2009,
If you don't mind the lack of whammy bar:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe (with EMGs)

Quote by omegamuff1n
I'd be willing to spend maybe about $500 bucks max on a guitar. I'm not looking for the legendary ultimate axe of metal, just something I can play on. I thought the guitar didn't really matter a whole lot as much as the pickups since those are what really change the sound...maybe a new amp is what I really need, but if that's the case I'll just rig my existing guitar with good pickups and a great amp and it'll be almost as good. Like chuckles said, buy only what I really need, and in this case doesn't it look like an amp rather than a guitar? What makes guitars sound different besides the pups that pick up the strings' vibrations? If it's some minuscule detail that changes the sound a tiny bit, like wood quality or something, I'd think it's not worth it to buy a whole new guitar right?

"Good" pickups, in my opinion, take the existing good tonal characteristics of the guitar and enhance them.

Last edited by JMcG92 at Aug 23, 2009,
ibanez rg, maybe 350mx, could pick one of those up for around that price,really good guitars that lean towards metal
Quote by omegamuff1n

Well you can certainly find a fine axe in the $500 dollar range if you shop around and even consider used.

As for what makes a guitar sound different: type of wood used, amount of wood used (more wood tends to have a warmer sound), and pickups. Though you'll notice a difference going from passive to active, you won't notice much of a difference between two passives until you get a good amp.

And the amp dilemma. For me, I bought a guitar before upgrading my amp because I didn't like the feel of my previous guitar, and since I'm not gigging or anything, I'd rather have a guitar that feels and plays nice before having an amp that changes the sound of it.

Ultimately you'll have to decide what you want. Go try out some guitars and amps and see if there are any guitars that feel much better than what you have right now, and decide if that difference is worth putting off the purchase of a new amp or not.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig