Hi there, I wired my first guitar today and the tone pots arent working and one of them is acting as another volume knob. The diagram i used wasnt clear and I'm thinking the problem is with the capicitor because i linked the tonepots with a seperate bit of cable rather than the capicitor itself? Anyone know if thats correct?
The guitar also sounds unclear when i mix two pickups on the selector switch. Actually the only way the guitar sounds good is if the selector is in the middle position, the only one thats not on a tonepot. Appreciate any advice.

Regards, Dave.
Quote by Bingt
find a clear diagram at seymour duncan's website, i believe they have all kinds there!

I used one from the sd website. I just want to know if the capicitor itself links the two pots really. I'm pretty sure thats whats causing the problems. I just want to get a second opinion before i wack the strings and the screws off.
Quote by Hammy135
Hi there, I wired my first guitar today and the tone pots arent working and one of them is acting as another volume knob.

You must have wired it in series with the signal then. Tone pots are always parallel.

Quote by Hammy135
The diagram i used wasnt clear and I'm thinking the problem is with the capicitor because i linked the tonepots with a seperate bit of cable rather than the capicitor itself? Anyone know if thats correct?

Makes no difference. This is not the problem.

Quote by Hammy135
The guitar also sounds unclear when i mix two pickups on the selector switch. Actually the only way the guitar sounds good is if the selector is in the middle position, the only one thats not on a tonepot.

Define "sounds unclear". Also you never mentioned what kind of guitar you are rewiring. pics would also help (if they're blurry then don't post them. use the macro setting on your camera).
Quote by Invader Jim
You must have wired it in series with the signal then. Tone pots are always parallel.
Makes no difference. This is not the problem.
Define "sounds unclear". Also you never mentioned what kind of guitar you are rewiring. pics would also help (if they're blurry then don't post them. use the macro setting on your camera).

Okay thanks for the reply, I'll take some pics tomorrow. I wired to this diagram exactly http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w_as SSH.
The only thing i did differently was link the bridge pickup to one of the tone pots.
What should i be looking for?
Quote by Hammy135
Okay thanks for the reply, I'll take some pics tomorrow. I wired to this diagram exactly http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w_as SSH.
The only thing i did differently was link the bridge pickup to one of the tone pots.
What should i be looking for?
Please copy that image to your computer. Then use Paint or smth to edit it. Make ALL changes necessary so it looks EXACTLY the way you wired it. Upload the edited image to Photobucket or w/e and post the link here.

Then we can know what's happening with it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Please copy that image to your computer. Then use Paint or smth to edit it. Make ALL changes necessary so it looks EXACTLY the way you wired it. Upload the edited image to Photobucket or w/e and post the link here.

Then we can know what's happening with it.

I guess it'll be easier to just post a picture tomorrow. I took the cable that goes from the left leg of the 2nd tonepot and took it to the bridge connection on the 5 way selector instead of to the middle pickup. I dont know much about it but i'm feeling like the capicitor has come loose or something because i dont understand why one of the tone pots is acting as a volume control?
Last edited by Hammy135 at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by Hammy135
I guess it'll be easier to just post a picture tomorrow. I took the cable that goes from the left leg of the 2nd tonepot and took it to the bridge connection on the 5 way selector instead of to the middle pickup. I dont know much about it but i'm feeling like the capicitor has come loose or something because i dont understand why one of the tone pots is acting as a volume control?
You should definitely re-check your wiring for errors.

If the cap was shorted, the tones would act somewhat like volumes, killing all the sound when the tone was set to 0. But BOTH pots would do that. The 2nd tonepot would do that when the selector was in the Bridge or Bridge + Middle position. The 1st tonepot would do that when the selector was in the Neck or Neck + Middle position.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should definitely re-check your wiring for errors.

If the cap was shorted, the tones would act somewhat like volumes, killing all the sound when the tone was set to 0. But BOTH pots would do that. The 2nd tonepot would do that when the selector was in the Bridge or Bridge + Middle position. The 1st tonepot would do that when the selector was in the Neck or Neck + Middle position.

Yeah, I'll check when i get home tomorrow. Hmm.. it's just the 2nd tone pot that cuts the sound. Another thing i wanted to ask, in different diagrams i've noticed that they link 2 of the connectors on the 5 way selector switch, my diagram didnt show that. Not sure what that does?
Quote by Hammy135
Yeah, I'll check when i get home tomorrow. Hmm.. it's just the 2nd tone pot that cuts the sound.
Cool. We'll get this sorted.

Quote by Hammy135
Another thing i wanted to ask, in different diagrams i've noticed that they link 2 of the connectors on the 5 way selector switch, my diagram didnt show that. Not sure what that does?
The link connects both poles of the selector to the hot. That way they can actually connect the tone pots only when the position of the switch calls for it. SSS wiring is like that.

HSS can't be wired that way because you need the other side of the switch to do the coil split on the HB. SSS has no HB to split.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

The link connects both poles of the selector to the hot. That way they can actually connect the tone pots only when the position of the switch calls for it. SSS wiring is like that.

HSS can't be wired that way because you need the other side of the switch to do the coil split on the HB. SSS has no HB to split.

Okay, just taken the thing apart and i cant get a clear picture of the wiring. Here's a diagram of exactly how it's wired though.
Last edited by Hammy135 at Sep 5, 2009,
Any chance i can get this one rolling again? These tone knobs adjusting volume are getting to me. Sorry i cant get pictures but my camera doesnt want to focus on the detail. Can anyone give me an idea? I dont mind messing about with the wiring, it's just knowing where to start.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I've also noticed through my toneport that i'm now getting like a clean sounding note and then heavy distortion sustain rather than with my other cheapy guitars it sounds like an actual distorted note with distorted sustain? Not nice at all! Any ideas?

Dave.
Quote by Hammy135
Any chance i can get this one rolling again? These tone knobs adjusting volume are getting to me. Sorry i cant get pictures but my camera doesnt want to focus on the detail. Can anyone give me an idea? I dont mind messing about with the wiring, it's just knowing where to start.
I really don't know what to tell you. If you wired according to that, the upper tone control should affect the Neck and Neck+Middle postitions. The lower should affect the Bridge and Bridge+Middle positions. You'll get a strange coupling of the Neck with the Bridge if BOTH controls are at minimum.

If the cap was shorted, it would cause the tone controls to also kill the volume. But you said "one of them is acting as another volume knob". If the cap was shorted, both tone controls would do that.

Try disconnecting the tone cap anyway. See how it acts with no tone controls.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I really don't know what to tell you. If you wired according to that, the upper tone control should affect the Neck and Neck+Middle postitions. The lower should affect the Bridge and Bridge+Middle positions. You'll get a strange coupling of the Neck with the Bridge if BOTH controls are at minimum.

If the cap was shorted, it would cause the tone controls to also kill the volume. But you said "one of them is acting as another volume knob". If the cap was shorted, both tone controls would do that.

Try disconnecting the tone cap anyway. See how it acts with no tone controls.

Alrigh man, thanks for getting back to me. Nothing was shorted before i pushed the scratch plate into position this time and the problem still persists. I guess the tone knob just kills the sound rather than acts as a volume. I'll take the cap out anyway, willing to give these things a try.
I pretty much went into this custom guitar with no experience what so ever so i could've dropped an obvious bollock somewhere and i wouldnt know any different.
If no good comes from what i do next then i'll lend a decent camera off a friend this weekend and get the pictures uploaded.

Cheers, Dave.