So, most people say that one usually needs about 3 or 4 times the combined wattage of the guitarists in a band, but how does the ammount of speakers affect? My bassman is "just" 100 watts, buts with a 412 cabinet and then I crank it up it gets quite the loud. So, with all people talking about wattage, do they forget the speakers?
Wattage =/= volume common misunderstanding. Wattage is the amount of power at least I think.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
more speakers definately will be louder... but not a lot at all. so i mean, if you have a 1x10 combo and then speaker out it into a 4x12 it will definately sound louder, but say, a 2x12 into a 4x12 will just have more bass response and as some people would class a 'better' sound, but not much louder and some people would say not louder at all, just easier to hear.

as for watts, it really depends, tube amps are far louder than solid state, blah blah blah.

but all i know, is that my bassist has a 140 i think? watt bass amp which i definately know actually handles 300 watts when its used with a speaker cabinet, which he doesnt have. his is a 2x10 i think. and he doesnt need to have it higher than maybe 4-5 in some examples, where me and my other guitarist are putting up with crappy solidstate amps, in 4x12 and 6x12 setups, and we are on around 7. so yeah, a bassist does not need a massive amp, but ofcourse, its always nice to have.
your bassman should last you forever volume wise (i should think, ive never actually played through one) but obviously, more headroom, the better, in almost any situation, just incase you need it louder.

hope ive helped

Edit: me and other guitarist use 150 watt solid state amps, his is a 2x12 with my spare 4x12 and mine is a head with my angled 4x12.
Last edited by Bigaxmax at Aug 23, 2009,
Good, becouse I love my bassman =), got it from a guy quite cheap, its a 1973 fenderbassman 100 with a 412 cab, its loud as hell! And it looks so sweet! Dont think I will need it at full volume the next ten years, but on the other hand its probably an investment for the rest of my life.
You need 3x to 5x the wattage in a bass amp, than the total wattage your guitarists are using. So if you have a couple of 100w gutar amps on stage with you, you should be packing 600w to 1000w. That's why bassists get to play with kilowatt+ amps, and guitarists don't.
If a guitar rig has two cabs, it'll be a little apparently louder, so you probly want to err on the 'more power' side. There again, you can always do the same, and hook up another cab!
The reason for the wattage difference, is simply in the soundwaves. The treblier sound of a guitar carries thro' the air better than the bassier sound of a bass. So we need a good bit more power to carry our soundwaves to the audience.
That, and making drunken audience members puke.
The reason your Fender carries pretty well is its' headroom. Being an old valve Bassman, it'll have big transformers which allow it to hit transient peaks at certain frequencies. Usually, the peaks work out at roughly 3x the rated wattage. Good amps all do this: that's why their rated wattage is marked as 'RMS'. It's basically the average.
And yeah, hang on to the old Bassman. Take care of it, and get it serviced properly once in a while, and it'll keep on going for another 36 years!
I have 475W to my guitarist's combined 130W. Is this good? I can easily overpower at least one of them.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by garluch
So, most people say that one usually needs about 3 or 4 times the combined wattage of the guitarists in a band, but how does the ammount of speakers affect? My bassman is "just" 100 watts, buts with a 412 cabinet and then I crank it up it gets quite the loud. So, with all people talking about wattage, do they forget the speakers?

The speakers do make quite a big difference in the perceived volume of the amp, as the more speakers you have, the more air that is being pushed. Therefore it will be louder.

But as well, afaik your amp is a tube amp, and tube watts are far far louder than solid state watts, so your amp technically, isnt 'just' 100w, as it is much louder than a solid state 100w.
Quote by Bigaxmax
more speakers definately will be louder... but not a lot at all.

Huh? Adding more speakers adds a lot more volume than adding more watts. To double an amp's volume through the same speaker, it'd take ten times the original wattage. The same effect can be achieved much, much easier by adding speakers, because the amp's efficiency goes way up.

Quote by jimmy_neutron
But as well, afaik your amp is a tube amp, and tube watts are far far louder than solid state watts, so your amp technically, isnt 'just' 100w, as it is much louder than a solid state 100w.

That's a common misconception, actually. Tube watts aren't louder than SS watts at all, but tube amps can put out more wattage than they are rated for because they can clip without sounding terrible. A 100W tube amp can put out 3-4 times it's RMS wattage and not sound like arse, whereas if you did that with a SS amp it'd sound like a rabid donkey raping a pterodactyl at best.
Nope, no sig here.
I can't really afford an amp right now so I'm out of luck. I just joined a band with a guitarist playing through a 140w and is hoping to get some sort of Mesa soon. I have a 200w Acoustic.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
General rule of thumb is 3 times for some decent head room, you can do it with less, but you can lose some tone from cranking a SS amp.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
but, I think, you have to look out for what the guitarists are dooing. If they have a 100 watt amp, but only ever turn it up to 5 then you will only have to get around 200 watts.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Using more watts is not directly related to the volume produced by a speaker. Just like a larger speaker has the ability to replicate lower frequency the same can be said about W. More watts will allow for more efficency in replicating lower and thicker bass, the easiest way to increase your volume is to add more speakers and not necessarily (x2,x3,x4) your watts.
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
-Frank Zappa