Well, I figure I want to start creating some chord progressions to play around with. I know how to create them using the major and minor scales, but I'm just wondering how many chords are typically in a progression?

Forgot to add this, what are some good sounding progressions besides the usual 1 4 5 ?
Last edited by Rave765 at Aug 23, 2009,
Chord progressions eh?

Generally it's 3/4 chords. Could be more or less, sometimes 8 (such as Hotel California).

Good progressions to jam over:

Root (minor) --- VI --- III --- VII (think more than a feeling)

Root (minor) --- VII --- VI --- IV (think comfortably numb)

Root (minor) --- VII --- VI --- maj V (think Four Horsemen middle solo)

Uhhh... for some reason that's all I can think of haha.
Well this depends entirely on what kinda music you want to write. Pop songs usually use 2-4 chords, based around ii-V-I or IV-V-I.

Most rock and metal is based around riffs, and power chords, which aren't actually chords.

Some jazz guys believe the more chords you can fit in, the better you are. So mostly they use a ii-IV-iv-V progression and throw in whatever other chords they want in between.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Quote by Rave765
what are some good sounding progressions besides the usual 1 4 5?

Whatever sounds good.
Quote by Rave765
what are some good sounding progressions besides the usual 1 4 5 ?

MANY MANY MANY progressions in modern music are an alteration of the I IV V progression. For example, a I iii IV ii V I progression is like a I V IV IV V I progression, but with the iii and ii being substitutes for the V and IV (as they share 2 of the same notes). Chord substitutions can really spice up progressions.
Quote by mergapoot
Typically a chord progression will start in a place of stability (tonic), then it moves to a place that is away from the tonic (sub-dominant), then to a place of tension (dominant), before resolving to the tonic chord.

major key:

Tonic chords: I, iii, vi
Sub-dominant chords: ii, IV
Dominant chords: V, vii

minor keys:

Tonic chords: i, III
Sub-dominant chords: ii, iv, VI
Dominant chords: v, VII

Depending on the context of a progression the VI chord in major or minor can be perceived as either tonic or sub-dominant because it shares two notes with each family.

eg1: V7-vim7 sounds like it belongs to the tonic family.

eg2: vim7-V7-Imaj7 sounds like it belongs to the sub-dominant family.

hope it helps