Heeey !

I bought an Ibanez RG320DXFM with a tremolo a few days ago, and I'm really happy with it. Anyway, I've never had a guitar with a floating bridge / tremolo before and yesterday I wanted to change into thicker strings for D tuning. I removed all the strings at the same time and then applied the new ones (I've realized this is abit wrong), I also loosened the ''springs'' at the back of the guitar ofc etc. But now when I have the strings on and try to tune em up, I'm having a f****d up time trying to get em properly in tune. It's actually pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to do it. The problem is: Once I tune the 4 brighter strings upp, the 2 thicker strings will get more and more detuned. So I cannot really tune my strings into a normal tuning and this is getting frustrating as hell ; O

Some help would be REALLY appreciated !

Ty
Maybe you should have done some research before getting a floating tremolo?

Your first screw up was taking all the strings off at once. You do them one at a time.

When you tune it, tune the strings in this order: E, e, b, A, G, D. The reason why you're other strings are getting detuned is because the tension from the strings is what makes the bridge "float." So when you tune the strings on one side, the bridge will tilt that way and make the strings on the otherside detune. The order I showed you just jumps back and forth between the strings so the tension is even. You'll probably have to go back through and tune it several times to get it right.
cross tunning is easier

go E a E d etc

make sure the bridge sits level with the body or parrallel
tricky stuff at first. there is a thread for this, check it out, has alot of info.

but yeah, as mentioned above, cross tuning, thats how I tune up, found it to be the best way.
Last edited by Dookie92 at Aug 23, 2009,
Alright ty, I'll try tune in that order. Btw my friend has almost the same RG and he never did it in any order but alrighty then^^

Thx for answers !!
Actually, the cross tuning thingie won't work, as the strings still keeps getting out of tune, and while tuning upp again the bridge will just move even more upp, means that it can't stay parallel : s

Would love to have an answer !

Ty
Quote by Lakrisal
Heeey !

I bought an Ibanez RG320DXFM with a tremolo a few days ago, and I'm really happy with it. Anyway, I've never had a guitar with a floating bridge / tremolo before and yesterday I wanted to change into thicker strings for D tuning. I removed all the strings at the same time and then applied the new ones (I've realized this is abit wrong), I also loosened the ''springs'' at the back of the guitar ofc etc. But now when I have the strings on and try to tune em up, I'm having a f****d up time trying to get em properly in tune. It's actually pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to do it. The problem is: Once I tune the 4 brighter strings upp, the 2 thicker strings will get more and more detuned. So I cannot really tune my strings into a normal tuning and this is getting frustrating as hell ; O

Some help would be REALLY appreciated !

Ty

is the bridge level?

if not add a spring.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I just tune the strings a little higher than desired pitch so that when I do get around to the high E string, the other 5 strings are pretty much the correct pitches.
im just going to throw this out there because i haven noticed this to be true but not positive with a "floating" bridge when changing string gauges don't you/shouldn't you "reset" up the guitar action, truss rod if the neck isn't right ect?
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by Holysorrow
im just going to throw this out there because i haven noticed this to be true but not positive with a "floating" bridge when changing string gauges don't you/shouldn't you "reset" up the guitar action, truss rod if the neck isn't right ect?

with any guitar, if you change string gauge, you might need to adjust the action, intonation and truss rod.

but first you swap the strings, then you level the bridge, then see how it plays.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Just about the easiest way to do this is to block the trem in its neutral position, tune it to pitch like you would tune a hardtail, remove the block (bridge will almost certainly be off-neutral after this), and then adjust the spring tension to bring the bridge back to neutral. Three springs should do you fine up to 11s.

I personally block the trem by easing off the spring tension, then sticking a stack of business cards between the trem block and the route wall.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!