I've been talking to Doug from DougsTubes and he has a kit to retube my Mesa Boogie Roadster for around $150.

Ruby 6l6's and various preamps.

I'm not needing any tubes for high gain, looking for just a rock tone.

Anyone know any other sites with kits that are better and or cheaper?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i'm not sure about kits, but the tube depot usually has better prices as far as individual tubes go.

http://www.tubedepot.com/index.html
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Doesn't dougstubes have ANOS tubes for decent prices? I'd probably go with a few of those for the pre-amp. If you go with anything other than the Mesa branded tubes you'll have to take it into a tech to get a bias pot installed.

EDIT: Just took a look at the site, I'd probably go with the JAN 12AX7WA in V1 and a JAN 12AT7 Blackplate in the phase inverter and load the rest of the preamp with your choice of new production 12A_7s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 23, 2009,
if your amp has a PI (phase inverter) then put a JAN Phillips 5751 in it. I hear i makes a whole lot of difference. When i get the money, i'm getting one. Maybe consider a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the V1.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by mmolteratx
Doesn't dougstubes have ANOS tubes for decent prices? I'd probably go with a few of those for the pre-amp. If you go with anything other than the Mesa branded tubes you'll have to take it into a tech to get a bias pot installed.

EDIT: Just took a look at the site, I'd probably go with the JAN 12AX7WA in V1 and a JAN 12AT7 Blackplate in the phase inverter and load the rest of the preamp with your choice of new production 12A_7s.

I thought I read my amp doesn't need to be biased after a retube?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by tr3nt
I thought I read my amp doesn't need to be biased after a retube?

Only if you stick with the tubes Mesa has tested to be within the bias range. It will need to be biased if you switch tube brands, provided you want the tone to be its best. In extreme cases, tube life will be dramatically shortened if you don't, sometimes to even a few hours but this is extremely uncommon unless you get a bad tube. "Fixed" bias is a misleading term. It just means negative grid bias and these are the kinds you need to bias. Cathode biased amps are "self biasing" and you can just plug and play.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^Doug should give him tubes that'll match the bias of the amp. Any decent store like dougs, tubedepot, and the tube store do that.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
So who's right here?

Edit; I just texted Doug, waiting for response.

Last edited by tr3nt at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Doug should give him tubes that'll match the bias of the amp. Any decent store like dougs, tubedepot, and the tube store do that.

You're probably right. I didn't consider that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

fyi: if you have additional questions, they really should go in here.
roc's tube thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
He said Mesa Amps don't need rebiasing.

^I'd still ask for tubes that'll match the bias. What he probably means is mesa's transformers can handle mismatched tubes and the sort, but you'll probably like your tone better if they match the amp and operate at the correct bias.
Yeah I would be buying his "Tube kit for Mesa amps"

edit;

How do I know what order to put the preamp tubes in?

Anyone know?

PI is closest to the power tubes, V1 is closest to the guitar input....if that is what you are asking. JAN 5751 in the PI. Tung-sol 12AX7 or the JAN mentioned ealier in the V1.

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
PI is closest to the power tubes, V1 is closest to the guitar input....if that is what you are asking. JAN 5751 in the PI. Tung-sol 12AX7 or the JAN mentioned ealier in the V1.

Good Luck.

Yeah thats what I was asking, thanks.

V1 is the input of the preamp and it's gonna be farthest from the power tubes. Better yet your amp probably has a chart on the inside telling you where which tube is located.