Well I had a really old single-core PC with 512mb ram and 2.5gh processor until a few weeks ago.

Now I have a monster; 8gb of ram, 8x 2.8hz CPU's. My father got it from his work. It's extremely fast. But it has windows 7 on it.

Obviously one of the first things I did was install Cubase and guitar rig and get to recording to see how well it does.

It barely even works. It's safe to say that it doesn't. The latency is horrible. The CPU usage is infinitely lower than it was with my other computer but the static and cutting out and such is incredibly horrible.

Is this windows 7's problem? I was looking forward to this being a great recording rig...
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
most likely. i'd say get XP.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Not many people know about windows 7 yet, so it'll be hard troubleshooting the problem. Either install XP, or post what gear you're using to record.
Have you tried the same gear on other computers?
There aren't any ASIO drivers designed to work with windows 7 install Vista (XP will have problems utilizing an 8 core CPU)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Metallica1554
Not many people know about windows 7 yet, so it'll be hard troubleshooting the problem. Either install XP, or post what gear you're using to record.
Have you tried the same gear on other computers?

yeah it ran 10x better on my 10x slower pc.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
You can run ASIO4ALL to cure the latencey issue. Anything that runs on Vista, will work on 7; Right click on the application, properties, compatability mode and choose, Vista, XP or whatever. 90% of the drivers for Vista will work on 7. Give that a try and see if it help out.
Quote by killerhz
You can run ASIO4ALL to cure the latencey issue. Anything that runs on Vista, will work on 7; Right click on the application, properties, compatability mode and choose, Vista, XP or whatever. 90% of the drivers for Vista will work on 7. Give that a try and see if it help out.

That doesn't quite apply to device drivers, which have been known to have issues with Windows 7, also if he is using recording interface it probably wont work with ASIO4ALL which is designed to work with standard sound cards.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That doesn't quite apply to device drivers, which have been known to have issues with Windows 7, also if he is using recording interface it probably wont work with ASIO4ALL which is designed to work with standard sound cards.

It does. If he has a device and it has Vista drivers, then he can use those 99% of the time. The only issue I had was with punkbuster for COD4.

For his Guitar Rig however, the added noise and static might be coming from an internal piece of hardware from the new PC. My Rig is, X58 Classified, i7 920, 6GB RAM and 3 GTX 260's. When I take out 2 of the GPU's & shut off 1 of the fans on the heat sink the sound issues go away.

Just keep trouble shooting and am sure that you will find the cause.
Quote by killerhz
It does. If he has a device and it has Vista drivers, then he can use those 99% of the time. The only issue I had was with punkbuster for COD4.

For his Guitar Rig however, the added noise and static might be coming from an internal piece of hardware from the new PC. My Rig is, X58 Classified, i7 920, 6GB RAM and 3 GTX 260's. When I take out 2 of the GPU's & shut off 1 of the fans on the heat sink the sound issues go away.

Just keep trouble shooting and am sure that you will find the cause.

`
Not in my expereince, my frind just got a new comp with widows 7 and he couldn't get the ASIO drivers for any of his audio stuff to work.

Last.fm