So I'm majorly GASing for a V shaped guitar for around $500-$800.

I've been around here for awhile, but for those who don't know, I play metalz (Silverstien, From Autumn to Ashes), punkz (Green Day, All Time Low), jazz and whatever else I want to, really. I play leads and rhythm.

So flexibility is a must for me.

I've looked in to the Schecter V-1 Classic, which is just over my budget for $850. I could probably find a used one for under $700.

I've also looked into the B.C. Rich Draco for $800. The body style is awesome, but the electronic controls suck. Considering I could probably modify it and fix the crappy electronic controls, it could be worth it for a project guitar. Though I would end up putting close to $350 into it. So finding a used one (possibly with fixed electronic controls) would be great.

Floyd or no Floyd, doesn't matter.

NO ACTIVE PICKUPS.

I don't really like RR V's, so none of those.

As you can see from above, I have no problem buying used.

Other V's I've looked into
Above my budget, but could be worth it, Gibson Faded V used.
Schecter Damien V (below the budget with and without Floyd)
ESP LTD V-500
Washburn WV40V
Dean Razorback V
DBZ V's

So give me some suggestions...
I dig the scalloped body.
Though the first time I saw it, I thought the scallops were white and the body was black. Upon closer inspection, that was the light reflecting off the body.
Dean Razorback V is nice, plays well. Try a Jackson King V im sure you can get one without active pickups or that price.
Quote by fearofthemark
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

We are the dynamite!!

My Gear:

Hamer XT Series (SATF)
Jackson JS30 Dinky
Vintage V100 Les Paul (w/ Seymour Dunc JB in Bridge pos.)

Korg ToneWorks AX1500G
Marshall MG100HDFX
Maybe a DBZ Cavallo or Venom. They should be coming out within the next few weeks.

Dark Side of Dean (Venom): http://www.dbzguitars.com/thedarkside/collection.php

Main Site (Cavallo): http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/collection.html

Look at the Premiere series, as they are the only ones within your budget.

http://www.carlinoguitars.com/DBZguitars.html

The Jackson King V is good, but the pickups suck. I'm not particularly fond of the bolt-on neck as well. But a great guitar nonetheless. But i think the DBZ would be better.

Don't let the pictures of the DBZ's fool you, the look a hell of a lot better in person. Check out the NAMM pics.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Aug 23, 2009,
Sadly most DBZ guitars use EMG's.

Of course I could probably just get those swapped out and put in some covered Seymour Duncans in it for almost nothing.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Sadly most DBZ guitars use EMG's.

Of course I could probably just get those swapped out and put in some covered Seymour Duncans in it for almost nothing.

But they also have DBZ customs which should be really good. Dean Z. is very experienced and has made the pickups to fit the guitar they are in. You are probably not going to get sh*t pickups like in the Jackson King V.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
I found one V that uses DBZ customs.
The Cavallo CT...

But the one below it looks so much more sexy with an FR but it has the EMG's. I have a crappy Spider amp and I fear clipping...

I have no intentions of upgrading until my brother moves out. I'm planning on an EVH 5150 and an Avatar 4x12 cabinet.
I really want a V also. I saw a used faded Gibson at guitar Center for 400 bucks. That seems like a steal.
Seems like a steal.

I wouldn't trust a guy at GC to hold my pack of guitar strings, let alone trust them to to sell me a Gibson faded V for $400 that is in better than half decent condition.
I didn't play it because I'm not going to buy one right now. But any V I would buy is going to have a lot of changes made to it. I want one to put a Les Paul neck on.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I found one V that uses DBZ customs.
The Cavallo CT...

But the one below it looks so much more sexy with an FR but it has the EMG's. I have a crappy Spider amp and I fear clipping...

I have no intentions of upgrading until my brother moves out. I'm planning on an EVH 5150 and an Avatar 4x12 cabinet.

Ya, i have a spider. It didn't sound "bad" with the EMGs, but they didn't shine like they should have. I desperately wanted a new amp. Not sure about the "clipping." Now that i have a new amp, i'm trading the spider for a Epiphone SG G-400 that is almost new.

Sounds like a good plan for the amp.

They have Cavallo's with FR and DBZ custom. Ask the guys at carolino about them. The finishes aren't as cool, but it should be good either way. I personally like the Gunmetal Metallic. The black ST looks good as well.

http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/premier/cavallo-stfr-gunmetal.html

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Jackson RR3
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by williamdllr
Jackson RR3

Compliments to you sir, your reading skills have truly surpassed that of a blind man and cryptic writing.

Despite the great amount of high quality V's out there, there are only two I would buy. BC Rich's NJ Deluxe (Waits for the idiotic flame because BC Rich is in the name), and the Agile Hornet. Both have Floyds, but I've heard/played both (have yet to play an Agile, but I loved the BC Rich) and they sound fantastic. I would only change the EMGs, and if I was in a big spender mood, replace the LFR on the Hornet with a Kahler Hybrid (if I even could, FR's take up gradually half as much wood as a Hybrid or an Kahler for that matter, but maybe I'm exaggerating). I'm clueless as to how the LFR's on Agiles are.

EDIT:I AM however leaving my opinions open to the DBZ Venom. It's sinister, awesome, and IT'S CALLED VENOM FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. Now I just need to hear how it sounds.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 23, 2009,
i totally overlooked that line my bad lol...then dbz!!!
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by williamdllr
i totally overlooked that line my bad lol...then dbz!!!

That's better.

Thou shalt focus at posts more.

Just think of that as your eleventh commandment.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
The Esp V-500 or 401 as they call in now is your best bet.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Well there are a bunch of different v's to choose from.

ESP LTD V-401 -- Awesome guitar for the money, look into one of those
Schecter Hellraiser V-1 -- Another awesome guitar for the money, it has EMG's that can coil split for a huge range of different tones
Schecter Blackjack ATX V-1 -- Same as the Hellraiser except no fret inlays (except for the 12th fret bolt) and Seymour Duncan Blackout pups. Also no coil split i don't think :/
BC Rich DLXJRVO Junior V -- Probably my favorite V, it's beautiful and has all the specs a 1600 dollar guitar would, and plays like a monster. Only problem is it has a floyd if that bothers you

EDIT::: Sorry, I failed to notice you said no Active pickups, so i dont think any of these would work but you're missing out on a lot of amazing guitars if you take active pups out of the picture

----------------------------------------------------

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Prophecy Custom EX
Ibanez GIO (modded)
Marshall MG30DFX
Digitech Grunge Pedal

I'd rather die than go to heaven. -William Murderface
Last edited by wolfeman85 at Aug 23, 2009,
I'm taking active pups out of the picture for now. Not forever.

I'm thinking after I get this V, my 3rd guitar will HAVE to be an LP shape. Something with EMG 81/60... ESP LTD EC-1000 in STB comes to mind. I've been GASing for one of those but when I get a guitar with active pickups and I want to be able to release the pickups to their full potential.

So I've been told to wait for DBZ's to come out. I won't lie, those things make me wanna jizz in my pants. I can't wait for them to come out. I just hope GC will stock them...

So far, I've been thinkingg...
Used Gibson Faded Flying V
Schecter V-1 Classic
V-shaped DBZ, preferably the Premium Cavallo...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'm taking active pups out of the picture for now. Not forever.

I'm thinking after I get this V, my 3rd guitar will HAVE to be an LP shape. Something with EMG 81/60... ESP LTD EC-1000 in STB comes to mind. I've been GASing for one of those but when I get a guitar with active pickups and I want to be able to release the pickups to their full potential.

So I've been told to wait for DBZ's to come out. I won't lie, those things make me wanna jizz in my pants. I can't wait for them to come out. I just hope GC will stock them...

So far, I've been thinkingg...
Used Gibson Faded Flying V
Schecter V-1 Classic
V-shaped DBZ, preferably the Premium Cavallo...

Unfortuneately, i heard GC wont stock DBZ's

As far as LP shapes go, i really like the Bolero.....but i also like the ESP EC-401FM/VF.

I like the Cavallo V....it is a nice variation of the Gibson V.

EMG 81/60 combo is great. It handles both hi gain and clean really well.

If i were you, id go with either the Cavallo or used Gibson V. But if you could get the money, this looks really nice as well:

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_WV548GYB%20HM%20Series%20V%20Electric%20Guitar%20Assorted%20Colors_-1_10052_10002_555049_cmCategorySA182593

Lowest price i have seen for it. Carbon Glass Epoxy fingerboard...EMG pickups i believe....OFR....MADE IN THE USA....mahogany body with mahogany set neck.

I've wanted to get the WM526, but they jacked up the price to $2400!!!! It was a reasonable $1800 b4.

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
To anyone that's played a Gibson Faded V, hows the neck?
D shaped and fat as usual or thinner than other Gibby's?