If there was a Cash for Clunkers for guitars, then this one would've been traded for a Schecter or some other schit, and then it would've been crushed to save the environment or some other misguided hippie cause, but there isn't and it's not...

... instead I picked it up for about $180. Considering that these are damn near impossible to find these days, and that I'd easily part with a four-digit sum for one in mint condition, I'd say it's a lucky find.

Yes, it's an Ibanez.

Some dings, and an original pickup sitting in a non-original pickup ring. Huh?

The very original Edge - no locking studs yet. But what's that "Back Stop" thing?

Twenty two frets on a Wizard neck before they even called it that.

Three switches and a coil split knob makes for a dozen pickup combos including the elusive and coveted "all off".

Fairly modest fret wear for being as old as Surfing With The Alien. (Coincidentally, you'll find Satch holding this guitar on one of his album covers)

I see Paris, I see France, I see... a Gotoh tuner's insides.

The mysterious Backstop.

Birth certificate.

Worth noting that the twenty two year old Edge, while nowhere near perfect cosmetically, is as fit as a fiddle. And I know the trem's been abused. While setting up the guitar, I pulled this thing out of the arm socket.

Soooo, what could it be?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I think it's an Ibanez R... Can't be sure though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It looks like one of the old Ibanez Radius series guitars that Saych played before the JS series existed.
a raidus of some sort. and a XX60 type too
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Nope, not a Radius. Although pretty close!

They were in the same kindergarten, but Radius went on to school, graduated college, acquired connections in the industry, changed name to JS, and became rich and famous. In the meanwhile this thing had an identity crisis, dropped out of junior high, and then quietly died of a massive drug overdose at the cusp of the eighties.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
Nope, not a Radius. Although pretty close!

They were in the same kindergarten, but Radius went on to school, graduated college, acquired connections in the industry, changed name to JS, and became rich and famous. In the meanwhile this thing had an identity crisis, dropped out of junior high, and then quietly died of a massive drug overdose at the cusp of the eighties.

Saber?

and cheers. HNGD. Japanese ibanez are legit and my favorites(as can be told by my gear)
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
So does the backstop not let you pull back on the FR?

NICE NGD =P
It does, just takes more effort. If you snap a string, you'll still be in tune, and you can do a drop tuning with a fine tuner. On the downside, the trem doesn't flutter. I reckon I'll take it out, as Edges don't really need a backstop to keep tune and I don't ever change tunings on the fly.

Quote by mexican_shred
Saber?

and cheers. HNGD. Japanese ibanez are legit and my favorites(as can be told by my gear)
Saber didn't quite die under the bridge either. This one's the third cousin of R and S. They should've kept making these too, I bet a maple on alder Ibanez with high-power pickups would sell okay to the basswood haters.
Why didnt this guitar go on to be still in production. It looks amazing and has some cool features
Quote by DavePT
It's a Power! Ibanez P for short
Score! Have a cookie.

Quote by mexican_shred
Why didnt this guitar go on to be still in production. It looks amazing and has some cool features
Good question. I guess poor sales. In 87, you could buy a lot of maple on alder superstrats (ubiquitous Charvel Models for instance), and Ibanez was a new kid on the block, only starting on the whole "definitive shredder company" thing. People took well to new things they did - Saber, Radius, and the RG, but the Power was essentially a rehash of something already popular. Power II models were a bit crazier, but just as unpopular, so sure enough these days they cost a fortune.
Quote by mexican_shred

Because there wasn't any Rockstar playing one!
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/page.php?cat_id=185&year=1990

RG/JEM: Paul Gilbert/Steve Vai
Saber: Frank Ganbale
Radius/JS: Larry Mitchell/Joe Satriani

Rich Lesner was the head designer of Ibanez guitars, there's a great interview with the guy here:
http://www.ibanezregister.com/history/nuno/nuno-richlasner.htm

He says this about the Power series:
when and how did the Power design come up?

Japan wanted three new models in the 540 range. We had the Saber and Radius and were trying for another idea. We felt we didn’t have a Metal guitar in the series, so I thought of the idea of taking a slightly smaller body and angling the sharp edges for a new look. It was and is my least favorite Ibanez design idea.

was the first Power prototype much different from the production model?

No. Almost identical.
how long has the Power been produced? and why did Hoshino halt the production?

I think it lasted only a year or so. Sales were very slow.

Edit: After Ibanez, he worked at Yamaha and was responsible for the Pacifica and RGX series. I've heard that the high end Yamanha RGX models are probably the best guitars with a floating bridge.
Cort G254
Software Amp Modeler
Last edited by DavePT at Aug 23, 2009,
^^Shit, Alex Skolnick had some long-ass hair.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Rich Lasner
I think it lasted only a year or so. Sales were very slow.

I can see why. Once they went past the prototype stage, the P lost a tone control just to make sure that the only sound it could make was "shrill and loud", and in '89 they decided to "revitalize" the model by giving it the most tacky and unbalanced body to ever be on a superstrat while taking away its alder body and making it sound essentially like an already popular RG (not to say I wouldn't buy one in a heartbeat ).
Not very fond of the strap, but that's your choice. HNGD!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by DavePT
Because there wasn't any Rockstar playing one!
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/page.php?cat_id=185&year=1990

RG/JEM: Paul Gilbert/Steve Vai
Saber: Frank Ganbale
Radius/JS: Larry Mitchell/Joe Satriani

Rich Lesner was the head designer of Ibanez guitars, there's a great interview with the guy here:
http://www.ibanezregister.com/history/nuno/nuno-richlasner.htm

He says this about the Power series:

Edit: After Ibanez, he worked at Yamaha and was responsible for the Pacifica and RGX series. I've heard that the high end Yamanha RGX models are probably the best guitars with a floating bridge.

wow everyone dressed terribly back then.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
A Power series! Of course. I love the P540II's, with the odd body shape. I'd probably pay a good deal for one. Have you seen the natural finished one's that the guy that used to be in Therion has? They ROCK.
sorry to move this to another topic TS... but what's the bridge on that spectacular charvel in the last pic?
Quote by metallifan3091
Have you seen the natural finished one's that the guy that used to be in Therion has? They ROCK.
It's not natural finished, it's unfinished as in sanded down to the wood.

Quote by just17n8
sorry to move this to another topic TS... but what's the bridge on that spectacular charvel in the last pic?
It's a Wilkinson VS100
Lol. My mistake. I knew that; I've actually talked to him on Ultimatemetal about them. I'm just dumb, haha. They look sweet though.
You picked up an RG550 for $180? Some of the deals people find on this forum make me rage.
Quote by Zmatt
wow everyone dressed terribly back then.

As someone who very much remembers 'back then' I can assure that whilst there are very few certainties in live, one you thing you can be sure of is in twenty years time exactly the same thing will be said about today.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Was anyone else reminded of Zoolander when they saw Satriani?

And HNGD!
Quote by Gunpowder
You almost banged her? Well you get an almost high five!

*Stops half way*
Last edited by boxie at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
You picked up an RG550 for $180? Some of the deals people find on this forum make me rage.

Anyway, HNGD!
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
Well no, I picked a NOS 550 for $330, and this time I scored a Power for $180.

The kicker is that the person I bought it from paid $80 for it, but decided he didn't have a use for a trem guitar. But then, I had to give it the kind of a setup they charge triple digits for - truss rod, neck angle, nut shim, full intonation, and a partial rewire. It does play great now though, and easily satisfies my craving for strat tones without a strat.

Now just to take out that backstop and convert it to a dive-only fixer.