I've had my Ibanez sa260fm for about a year now and am thinking about getting a new bridge pickup. The stock one(humbucker) is too noisy and i want something more crisp and rounded. I play stuff from blues to classic rock, and venture into a little bitta' heavy rock stuff. I guess my ideal tone would be something similar to jimmy page.
Anyway i have no idea whats what with pickups so any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
What amp are you playing through?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Well... tough getting that Page tone without a les paul. Les pauls have a fat, deep sound, so someone like Page can get away with having a really bright, thin sounding set of pickups in his guitar without it sounding weak and overly shrill. You need low output pickups to get that Page sound, but how low output pickups sound depend very heavily on the guitar they're in.
Quote by al112987
Well... tough getting that Page tone without a les paul. Les pauls have a fat, deep sound, so someone like Page can get away with having a really bright, thin sounding set of pickups in his guitar without it sounding weak and overly shrill. You need low output pickups to get that Page sound, but how low output pickups sound depend very heavily on the guitar they're in.

I know i'm not going to get Page's tone with what i have, i just want an idea of what pickups might help me to improve the setups that i already use when i play that type of music.
Good amp. I read somewhere Jimmy used some 50s PAF style humbuckers. They're a bit costly, so if I were you, look into the Dimarzio Virtual PAF.
I have VC15 and Seymour Duncan '59s at bridge and neck and I like the combination.
Seymour Duncan Seth Lover or '59 in the neck and a '59 or Pearly Gates in the bridge sounds like they'd sort you out.

The key really is learning how to EQ your amp properly to get the tone you want. Classic rock tones are generally formed around a a guitar with a naturally thick tone, pickups that are low output and simple, and a good amp that's been properly set up, with most of the distortion and EQ balance being decided purely by the amp alone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.