I'm looking into buying some guitar books for repair and maintenance, setup, amp repair and maintenance, pedals, etc. and this CD course thing that helps with ear training and playing by ear

But i'm also looking into buying some books to better myself with theory, chords, scales, improv, etc etc etc.

I've seen the Guitar Grimoire series but i'm wondering if its any good or what you guys would recommend.

Any and all feedback is appreciated
I hate the grimore series, way to confusing for me, but when it comes to theory, evrybody has thier own understanding.

there is a REALLY good guitar repair guide sold at barnes, I cant think of the exzact name but you'll know it when you see it.

its a huge book, and its called the ___ ultimate repair guide, its by some guy thats done repairs all his life and and documented all the problems and techniques hes used.

It pretty much covers everything, and its a very large book. Amps and electronics are included, truss rod adjustment, building, etc. anything you can think of, even tremelo set ups and replacements.

I spent alot of time reading this book while i was working at barnes, very cool indeed. I think its about 25 bucks.

as far as theory books go, you just need to find one that has a system that you think you'd be comfertable with following.

I personally think the Guitar EXCERCIESES for dummies is an EXCELLLENT book, (not guitar for dummies)

It also retails about 25.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by plague o' death
I'm looking into buying some guitar books for repair and maintenance, setup, amp repair and maintenance, pedals, etc. and this CD course thing that helps with ear training and playing by ear

But i'm also looking into buying some books to better myself with theory, chords, scales, improv, etc etc etc.

I've seen the Guitar Grimoire series but i'm wondering if its any good or what you guys would recommend.

Well it's a big book, and the satanist aesthetics are appealing to a certain crowd, but personally I don't consider it a very good book/approach to learning scales.

(Invalid img)

shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 23, 2009,
Don't buy a guitar grimore all of them are worthless turds. Literally all of them are packed with pointless filler content. The chord progression one has like 100 pages of basic progressions listed out with simple chord shapes in different keys. Buy them if you have downs and need like 1000 pages of trash that you could derive yourself with simple concepts. Lmao, stay far far away. I warned you
Quote by RIP Back in Red
For the brave guitarist, the Grimoire is AMAZING!!!

I learnt everything I couldn't understand before from it.

Yeah you need to have a strong constitution to be able to pick anything useful out of the constant useless diagrams and poor explanations
Vypor: Yeah the thing is, I bought Rock Guitar for Dummies to help supplement myself while i had tabs from UG on songs i wanted, but wanted to learn more. Rock Guitar doesn't have much by way of work IMO. So I saw the Grimoire series, opened them up, skipped the first couple of chapters or jargin and nonsense and noticed it actually had stuff to do so thats why i wanted to look into it. If you could please try and remember that Guitar Tech book that'd be awesome.

GuitarMunky: I don't give a **** about aesthetics, I just wanna know its useful and can help teach me. Otherwise idfc. And the Grimoire site is in need of a modern touch.

Steve The Plank: Its cheesy like every other guitar DVD isn't it? lol

Flobbey: Well, I don't know keys and I can kinda sight-read but when somebody tells me to play in the key of F or do a G_Scale, I don't know and can't do it. Hence why I want something I can just sit down with and do for a few hours a day every day. The Grimoire series seemed comprehensive, but everybody keeps telling me they're trash. And the other mini pocket books, or normal books sometimes don't have the same amount of stuff as another so its like, "WTF, I just want everything, and then be able to learn, practice, memorize, and understand the meaning of it". Whatever "it" may be with regards to teaching myself guitar and theory.

RIP Back in Red: What did you know before you got the book, and what did you learn after? Which book(s) did you buy?

On pedals I was gonna buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Modify-Guitar-Pedals-how/dp/1434801063/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251080665&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Effects-Practical-Handbook-Softcover/dp/0879308060/ref=pd_sim_b_2

On amps:
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Amplifier-Handbook-Understanding-Amplifiers/dp/087930863X/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Valve-Preamps-Guitar-Bass/dp/0956154506/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251080665&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/Tube-Amp-Talk-Guitarist-Tech/dp/0964106019/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251080665&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/About-Vacuum-Tube-Guitar-Amplifiers/dp/0964106035/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251080665&sr=1-5

On guitar thus far:
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Electronics-Understanding-Wiring-Diagrams/dp/0615165419/ref=pd_sim_b_4

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Pickups-Handbook-Dave-Hunter/dp/0879309318/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251080664&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Stratocaster-Handbook-Maintain-Troubleshoot/dp/0760329834/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251081822&sr=1-3 (i'm looking into buying a stratocaster)
Quote by plague o' death

GuitarMunky: I don't give a **** about aesthetics, I just wanna know its useful and can help teach me. Otherwise idfc. And the Grimoire site is in need of a modern touch.

Well like I said, my opinion is that it is not very useful or going to help teach you much.
shred is gaudy music
More does not always equal better. I have the chord progressions book and I just looked through it, its filled with pointless and obtuse diagrams and other things that can be condensed into much simpler explanations. DON'T BUY THEM PEOPLE. They might seem comprehensive, but they are overloaded with filler crap that will just confuse you, or be of no use.
I found the book I was telling you about, its called

The Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlweine, heres a link

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide/Dan-Erlewine/e/9780879309213/?itm=1

The discription of the book doesnt nearly cover everything that this book holds, its a very thick book with lots and lots of information.

Be sure to read some of the reviews from customers.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
The Grimoire series really doesn't teach you anything. It spoonfeeds diagrams and that's it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Yup, if you're looking to actually learn something the Guitar Grimoire is the last place you should be looking.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Here is something you need understand about scale books (I only know of the scale one): They are all useless. Just go to one of the many sites on the web that has scales. Even then most of them are just the same scale (in a sense), it's just modes. The Major scale and it's modes, the Harmonic minor scale and it's modes, etc...
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
these have helped me the most and seem to get high praise:
idiots guide to music theory
fretboard logic vol 1-3
and for more advanced theory:
The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine
Sorry for the late reply, anyway

Vypor: Thanks Vypor!

XxDethmetalxX: The thing is I don't have a laptop, and if i'm lying around town outside or at school, I want a book I can sit down with and play from etc. I don't mind if its the same scale like, E, and its modes, G and its modes etc, I just want something that has it all, and i can sit down, learn, memorize, and practice it, and know it.

Slimp: Idiots guide is better than the dummies one (just curious). I've heard of Fretboard Logic, can you tell me more about it. I'll look into the Jazz Theory book.

Can anybody tell me anything about the Perfect Pitch Ear Training course?
I only have two books on guitar and I regret buying both of them. Sheets of Sound is just a book with page after page after page of scales, licks, and triads. I bought it online and when it got here I flipped through it to just see tons of bullshit. I immediately stuck it in a drawer and forgot about it. The other one I bought was Music Theory for Dummies which is actually good, but I already knew everything in that book. but I read through it anyway as a refresher and to make sure I understood all of it.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well it's a big book, and the satanist aesthetics are appealing to a certain crowd, but personally I don't consider it a very good book/approach to learning scales.

+1 (Again....)
Quote by steven seagull
Yup, if you're looking to actually learn something the Guitar Grimoire is the last place you should be looking.

+1 (Again...)
I have that book and It teaches nothing. I find it useful for simply looking up sounds.
If you want Hindu flavor, Samurai or Kung Fu movie tunes and more..its all there. I got the DvD and book in a set. The DVD was painful to watch.

Its simply reference material.

The *Everything About...* series by Wilbur M Savidge is really good. It explains very complex theory in a way that makes it easy. It will make you excited to learn.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 29, 2009,
may i suggest using a torrent site and saving yourself some money and just stealing these things in pdf format...and print out the stuff u want...?
Quote by Jeradmang
may i suggest using a torrent site and saving yourself some money and just stealing these things in pdf format...and print out the stuff u want...?

^ That's not cool, don't do that.

you should support the people that make those products if you like them enough to use them.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Jeradmang

And practice on a knockoff Gibson too huh?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
- You may not share any copyrighted material or assist others in finding such illegal material on the forums or profiles, including copyrighted mp3 files, movie files and pirated software, for any reason. This includes linking people to torrents containing copyrighted material.
- You may not upload copyrighted mp3s to your UG profile.
Punishment: Decided by the moderator. This may include a warning or ban.

*warn*

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'd just like to say for the record, I've always been of the belief you get what you pay for, and I have every intention of purchasing said materials direct from the publisher or off Amazon.com

ANYWAY

I get paid tomorrow (FINALLY), so i'll buy maybe $100 or $200 or so on guitar related books and see what happens. But yeah, for now i'm getting that Guitar Player Guide thing, Perfect Pitch, and Fretboard Logic
The guitar grimoire books are reference more than anything. Alot of the same stuff over and over. But they are useful for certain applications, just don't get them if you want to learn how to play.
Quote by plague o' death

I think the Grimoire series is a complete waste of time and something that's made the guy a lot of money simply by penning a compendium of scales and savvy marketing skills.

For repair and setup I recommend Dan Erlewine, its expensive, but many time that's where you find the real good stuff. We use his principles every day at our repair shop, (In addition to running a school I own and run a guitar store) and have become one of the leading repair facilities in the area.

For theory, what are you seeking to learn. There are many pathways to learning these things, some better than others.

Best,

Sean
I disagree with all the Grimoire hate; I have the scales book and I think it's a great reference. Shows all the different positions for each scale, the chord formulas for each, etc. It's perfect for when I'm playing late at night and need to look up a certain scale, but don't have computer access.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Exactly, that's all it's good for...reference. It doesn't teach you anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
About a week or two ago I finally bout the Guitar Player Repair Guide, and OMG, it has everything and more than you could ever ask for in a tech book.
A really good book for beginning music theory is The Everything Music Theory Book by Marc Schonbrun. For advanced stuff check out Walter Piston and Schoenberg books. A good book that applies theory to guitar is Fretboard mastery by Troy Stetina