Hey UG

so, i dropped my guitar earlier ... fun

butt, the high E machine head snapped off, and im pretty worried. as far as i know theres nothign else wrong with it, it went slightly out of tune wen i dropped it but it doesnt look or sound too bad other t han the missing machine head, but it did fall pretty hard.

all im wondering is, is it possible to install a new machine head to fix this? i have no experience with guitar repairing so i dont know whats possible and whats not.

im really worried about this since i currently have zero money for a new guitar, so im hoping its easily fixable. anyone got any advice?

thansk in advance for any help
Find a new machine head of the same brand, buy it, unscrew yours, and install the new one.

Unfortuneatly, if the fall was great enough to do damage such as this- your guitar probably wont ever play exzactly the same as it did before.

Guitars should NEVER be abused.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
yes. you can buy machine heads from local stores theyre quite cheap too

edit ^ what he said
Last edited by kakos at Aug 23, 2009,
Sounds like you should just be able to replace the tuning key. Which is really easy as long as you get one (or a set) made to match your guitar. Then all you do is take the screw off in the back of the headstock, take the nut and washer off the top of the tuning post, then put the new one on
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Get a new tuner.

Quote by Vypor
Unfortuneatly, if the fall was great enough to do damage such as this- your guitar probably wont ever play exzactly the same as it did before.

Guitars should NEVER be abused.

Uhh, no.

If it cracked the neck or something, then yeah. If it's just the tuner, the guitar is fine.
Quote by Invader Jim
Get a new tuner.

Uhh, no.

If it cracked the neck or something, then yeah. If it's just the tuner, the guitar is fine.

Uhh, yes. The guitar is fine, and yes it will play, but dropping guitars and creating shock to the neck does do permanent damage, its made out of wood, this is common sense.

Its kind of like when people tell you that you shouldnt take all of your strings off at once when replacing strings, becuase it rapidly releives too much tension on the neck, but isnt really a big deal.. Well yeah, its never a good idea to put an unessecary amount of stress on your neck.

- and falls that break sturdy parts on your guitar = putting stress on your neck
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
Uhh, yes. The guitar is fine, and yes it will play, but dropping guitars and creating shock to the neck does do permanent damage, its made out of wood, this is common sense.

I disagree. Wood is alot tougher than people give it credit for. I know this pretty much from experience.

I've read your reasoning, and there's my reasoning. I'm not going to 'debate' on this any further. Neither of us will change the other's mind so there's really no point in continuing.