ok so a power chord is just two strings, the higher sting two frets up from the lower. A thrid sting is often added to give it a fuller tone. for example: power chord on the first fret is FC
and if you add a third string it is FCF so you are just adding another of the same tone cause you can only have those 2 notes in a power chord. Drop D tuning allows you to have all 3 of those notes on the same fret, so what if you tuned your guitar to DADDAD, could you do a 6 string power chord? Would six string power chords sound really good? (I understand this would make pretty much any other chord difficult or impossible to play but I'm just curious.)
Quote by Keth
Most likely not, since the strength of power chords is based alot on the low end of the notes, so 6 string power chords would have too much high end I think.
alright, thought that might be the problem, I'll probably test it out anyway, but you're probably right, thanks.
Also, be mindfull of the string tension and when you're gonna tune DADDAD, big chance one of your strings might snap, or your neck may even warp :O
Last edited by Keth at Aug 23, 2009,
What if you just got another set of your 3 low gauge strings, a EAD and put them on so it was like 6E 5A 4D 4D 5A 6E. So the high E and low E are in the same octave instead of 2 apart. and then tuned it 2 that, like your playing a 3 string power chord twice really fast. does that make any sense?
Quote by Keth
Also, be mindfull of the string tension and when you're gonna tune DADDAD, big chance one of your strings might snap, or your neck may even warp :O

not really, seeing as all the strings apart from 2 are loosened, and the 2 are staying the same.
It would take some really old nasty strings to snap under less tension, and the neck shouldnt warp under a little change like that
Quote by SkepsisMetal
not really, seeing as all the strings apart from 2 are loosened, and the 2 are staying the same.
It would take some really old nasty strings to snap under less tension, and the neck shouldnt warp under a little change like that

Ah yeah, you're totally right, don't mind me! :P
Quote by bagamush
What if you just got another set of your 3 low gauge strings, a EAD and put them on so it was like 6E 5A 4D 4D 5A 6E. So the high E and low E are in the same octave instead of 2 apart. and then tuned it 2 that, like your playing a 3 string power chord twice really fast. does that make any sense?

That would kill your guitar neck. So much tension would be on it with so many thick strings. Also, your nut wouldn't hold the last two or three strings.
rather than taking that G string all the way down/up to a D why not leave it as a G. That gives you DADGAD which is a fairly common tuning (what my £5 acoustic is atm ) you can do quite a lot with DADGAD and it shouldn't screw with you neck too much. i love fiddling with open chord in DADGAD you can just run up and down the G string and it still sounds good
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more