So anyways, My guitar broke.

Hardcore, headstock seperated from the neck, and it's a set neck, which makes it more difficult to repair. It's been a few years, the guitar wasn't expensive, it had it's run...

That is the main issue. It was a Dean Evo Noir, that I purchased from Musician's Friend a couple years ago. It played fantastic for the price of 300$. I havn't been as impressed with 800$ ESPs, or Medium end Ibanez. All and all, it made me like Dean a little more than most people do, as most people are on the 'I hate Dean' wagon.

Now: Onto bigger fish. The Dean SplitTail (Fixed bridge, not Floyd Rose) is on sale. Why? People think it is ugly, really ugly. Therefore, it isn't being purchased. I like it, I think the shape is sexeh.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Splitail-Electric-Guitar?sku=520053

Due to the fact that everyone thinks it is ugly, and nobody has given it a chance really, I don't see like any reviews on the Dean SplitTail. What does it play like? Is it nice? Intonation, sustain?! I can't find anything...

I'm predicting a Gibson Moderne (Google it if you're unfamiliar) of the 21st century. Nobody liked the shape, so it wasn't bought, and didn't make it on the mainstream market, due to its shape. It was being sold for extremely cheap and then was eventually all gone. If they had those things today, I would be jumping on them. If the SplitTail is like that, we're missing some good tonals due entirely to it's shape that some think is ugly.

IGNORE the aesthetics of the guitar, please. I like it, regardless of how you feel about how it looks. If a proper analysis of it's tone can be given, that's what I want to hear. Thanks.

PS; I'd prefer if speculation wasn't given. IE: "Well the shape is weird, so it will sound bad because that's what they focussed on." If you don't know, then don't assume. Think Gibson Corvus.
1. IIRC, Gibson never produced Modernes for market sale. It never even got that far in the '50s. There are a few prototypes and limited edition replicas around, and an Epiphone limited ed., but never a real production run of the Moderne from Gibson.

2. Gibson Corvus had a purpose - ergonomics, just like the Ovation Deacon and the Klien. It wasn't shaped that way because it looked cool.

3. It's a low-end Dean. That ought to be answer enough. But I played one at a GC. Low action, but insane fret buzz. I didn't play it plugged up, but I usually find unplugged tone to be fairly informative - and I was not impressed/ There are lots of makers that make decent low-budget guitars. Dean is not one of them.
Quote by Kyose
with looks like that nothing could ever be right.....

Not true. Razorbacks are ugly as hell, but one of the rebel flag ones I played had a great metal feel to it.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by Kyose
with looks like that nothing could ever be right.....

I disagree. Atleast you can sit with it, unlike the V of any variety.
1. IIRC, Gibson never produced Modernes for market sale. It never even got that far in the '50s. There are a few prototypes and limited edition replicas around, and an Epiphone limited ed., but never a real production run of the Moderne from Gibson.

Untrue They were refurbished some time in the 80's and sold in Korea after getting bad repps in the NAMM show, because people said they were ugly. They had hardware almost clone to that of the Flying V studio, and were being sold for almost a thousand dollars cheaper due to aesthetics.
I've never played the Dean...but if you like that shape, check out the Epiphone ZV. Better hardware and pickups.
Quote by continental
I've never played the Dean...but if you like that shape, check out the Epiphone ZV. Better hardware and pickups.

That's the difference between 399.99 and 799.99 though. We're in a recession, and it is unfortunate that I can't afford that. Thanks though.
Quote by modern muse
I disagree. Atleast you can sit with it, unlike the V of any variety.

it's called the "classical position" you putz.
I would only buy the epi/gibson version if you want it to be like the older guitars you mentioned. Deans are ugly...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220