Hello,

I am thinking of getting 'fruity loops' in order to produce, mix and master my songs.
Would this program be suitable for this?

I can record guitar and vox through my pod ux1... but can't get a bass at hand at the moment (could i use the bass vsti that comes with it?).

I will also be using it to add some other instruments (synths, strings etc)

How high is the learning curve?

Could I produce good quality rock/pop songs with this?

Are there any alternative daws?

Thanks,
AJ
shallow learning curve, but FL is really geared towards electronic music with the ability to record being an add on, I would suggest Reaper if you mainly want to record a lot of instruments and whatnot.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Cool, thanks for your reply...

I was thinking of fl studio, but i already have reaper - so good thing you said that!
My Opeth song on my profile and my Lacuna Coil song on my profile was made with fl studio.

VST drums, VST bass (cant get bass to sound good DI *shrug*), VST Guitar Rig for guitar, and Orchestral VST for strings.

Quality isn't half bad either

Edit: Not trying to advertise or hijack the thread, just giving him a sample of songs made 100% with FL studio
Last edited by .h3xagr4m. at Aug 23, 2009,
FL is popular with guitarists for some reason, but I can't figure out what makes it better than Reaper. I have a feeling it's more of a loop-based DAW, am I right?
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
FL is popular with guitarists for some reason, but I can't figure out what makes it better than Reaper. I have a feeling it's more of a loop-based DAW, am I right?

Yeah it;s largely loop based (although it's expanded a lot in recent versions) part of the reason why it's so popular is because it;s pretty easy to use, and it's one of the most widely pirated DAWs out there (thus making it very easy to find bootleg copies)

Last.fm
What about garageband? Could I produce good songs, with good sound quality, on this?
With a VST-AU converter and a bunch of free programs you should be fit to go. Wouldn't buy a mac just for garageband though.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by ankthebank
What about garageband? Could I produce good songs, with good sound quality, on this?

if you're talking about running FL, I would assume you you have a PC and garageband is Mac only.

Last.fm
I'm thinking of getting a mac anyway, and was wondering if garageband would be good enough to produce good quality songs... so it is a possibility

Also, i hear fl studio can run on a mac if you have bootcamp installed on it (to run windows programs)

Would garageband be good enough for me though? I currently use reaper, and find that a bit difficult to get eqs correct.

Also, i hear macs are used a lot for recording and production...
All DAWs work in about the same manner (except Live that is), so don't expect garageband to be easier to use, it may even be harder...

Macs are used a lot because of reliability, but that's not something you should worry about. Reaper on PC is always going to be better than Garageband on a Mac. I'd stick with Reaper.
Quote by Tombe
Macs are the industry standard for recording & production, but usually used with Logic Pro/Pro Tools, and not GarageBand.

HOWEVER, take a listen to some of my songs. (myspace link in sig) They're mostly metal, and a couple of electronic ones. All done in GarageBand.

The only problem is with Bootcamp you have to reboot your computer to go into the other operating system, so recording a song, then booting to windows to make the synth parts for it would be a hassle. I'd suggest getting a program that lets you cross your OS's over, like VMware fusion, if I remember the correctly. But that also costs I think 100-200 USD, so maybe it's a good idea not to get a mac at all.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Cools songs m8... i was thinking of logic express too - Is it good/easy to use, and can i produce good quality recordings with it?

Would you recommend the new 'record' due to being released by propellorhead september 9th?
The only thing i'm worried about with that is the huge mixing console, that i may get confused with.

Thanks,
AJ
I personally have not much experience with Logic, but the teachers at a course I was doing for a while kept on telling us all that it's a great program. No idea how easy it is to use, but I'm sure a few tutorials on youtube could teach you everything in no time.

Honestly though, if you're not absolutely sure about buying a mac, don't do it. I searched around the internet so much for a good recording program for windows, kept downloading them, they looked too complicated so I deleted them. Now AFTER I buy a f'ing mac I find out how to use them properly. FFS I want a gaming computer.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by Demonology
Macs are the industry standard for recording & production, but usually used with Logic Pro/Pro Tools, and not GarageBand.

That's really true anymore, they are still fairly popular but nowadays PCs are pretty much on an even footing.

Last.fm
Macs will always be better than PCs (it's an architecture thing) but it's true that more and more people are using PCs. Logic is awsome and really cheap for what it is, but again there is no reason to go the Logic route unless you've outgrown Reaper. More expensive software does not mean better recordings! You should listen to some of the stuff from the Mix Rescue column in SoundOnSOund, they guy literally resurrects dead tracks using Reaper and mostly free plugins.

Demonology, I agree, there is not one good free DAW-style piece of software out there. I have literally tried them all, they all suck. Savvihost, VSThost and Audacity are the only ones I've kept.
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That's really true anymore, they are still fairly popular but nowadays PCs are pretty much on an even footing.

you mean not true right? Macs are really nice because id say theyre a bit more stable than pc's and theres almost no such thing as virus's on a mac. however you pay alot more for a mac. a 3000$ mac is like the equvialent of a 1800$ pc (im plulling this figures out of my a**, but macs are quite a bit more expensive) if you really want a mac then get one, but i mean if you have reaper stick with it. continue messing around with it as i find its actually quite easy to get used to ( i figured most out on my own and just googled for help when i needed it.) i found audacity really annoying and couldnt really get it to work, thats why i got reaper (plus vst and midi are stuff i really needed)
Quote by Union Of V
Macs will always be better than PCs (it's an architecture thing) but it's true that more and more people are using PCs. Logic is awsome and really cheap for what it is, but again there is no reason to go the Logic route unless you've outgrown Reaper. More expensive software does not mean better recordings! You should listen to some of the stuff from the Mix Rescue column in SoundOnSOund, they guy literally resurrects dead tracks using Reaper and mostly free plugins.

Demonology, I agree, there is not one good free DAW-style piece of software out there. I have literally tried them all, they all suck. Savvihost, VSThost and Audacity are the only ones I've kept.

That really depends on what you meant by "better" MacOS runs on a more stable kernel than Widows, but beyond that the advantages pretty much stop, and MacOS is severely crippled by the fact that it can barely be tweaked or customized for performance at all, and god forbid you break it (not as hard as you'd think)

I agree witht he rest of your post though.

Last.fm
Reaper for mac?

At the moment, i am trying to use reaper on one of my desktop computers... the cpu is really rubbish - I can't record more than one track at once without the computer crashing, and can't mix more than 6 tracks without more crashing. :S

Perhaps a mac would be the deal for me? I can get student discount and sell the ipod... meaning a mac for like 500 pounds.
Would be a big step up from the desktop too!

Also, has anyone tried the beta version of 'record' by propellorhead... i am quite interested due to how it is designed with musicians in mind - not engineers

Thanks,
AJ
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That really depends on what you meant by "better" MacOS runs on a more stable kernel than Widows, but beyond that the advantages pretty much stop, and MacOS is severely crippled by the fact that it can barely be tweaked or customized for performance at all, and god forbid you break it (not as hard as you'd think)

Also because macs are built with a limited range of hardware (unlike windows and linux which are meant to run with on any type of system imaginable) you rarely ever get hardware problems. For a professional user that outweighs ANY of it's cons. And Apple support is incredibly efficient (one guy broke his just before a gig IN SPAIN. They fixed it in time for his flight

I'd still choose a Windows system IF it wasn't for Logic....
Quote by Tombe
Quote by ankthebank
Reaper for mac?

At the moment, i am trying to use reaper on one of my desktop computers... the cpu is really rubbish - I can't record more than one track at once without the computer crashing, and can't mix more than 6 tracks without more crashing. :S

Perhaps a mac would be the deal for me? I can get student discount and sell the ipod... meaning a mac for like 500 pounds.
Would be a big step up from the desktop too!

Also, has anyone tried the beta version of 'record' by propellorhead... i am quite interested due to how it is designed with musicians in mind - not engineers

Thanks,
AJ

Record is for guitarists who don't know what they're doing. If you fall into this category by all means.

Just go for a Windows PC, as metalbass said you're paying mostly for *A Mac*. You'll get a better PC if you stick with Windows.
Quote by Tombe
Heard of Tracktion? I got it with a usb to guitar adapter and now I swear by it. All of the tracks on our website were recorded with it.

but we used FL to sequence the drums, reason for the drum sample and metal amplitube to get the tone.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by Union Of V
Record is for guitarists who don't know what they're doing. If you fall into this category by all means.

Record is also great if you use Reason a lot for production, although TBH they should have just added all of Records features to Reason and called it Reason 5 instead of making you pay an additional $200 for functionality that Reason should have had in the first place.

Last.fm
i)Cubase
ii)Nuendo
iii)Sonar
iv)Tracktion
v)Logic studio
vi)Reaper (although i've already used this)

Which one would you recommend, and which one would be easy for me to use... to produce a good quality song?

If i get a mac, would logic studio be the best solution? How easy is this to use? Is it as easy as garageband - i hear it follows the same sort of interface?

Thanks,
AJ
Last edited by ankthebank at Aug 24, 2009,
Logic is pretty much a full featured DAW with a lot of options for making electronic music, Garageband is pretty much entirely loop based. out of the stuff you listed I prefer Sonar, which has a great feature set and is pretty easy to use, though TBH I think you would be best sticking with reaper until you figure out exactly what kind of features you want/need when it comes to things like MIDI, sampling, looping, and advanced editing.

Last.fm
Hmmm... how easy is 'logic' to use - because it is used by some professionals, and i don't want to be stuck when mixing my music.

The other option for me is 'cubase' because of how my school has that one - is this relitavely easy to use?
Quote by ankthebank
Hmmm... how easy is 'logic' to use - because it is used by some professionals, and i don't want to be stuck when mixing my music.

The other option for me is 'cubase' because of how my school has that one - is this relitavely easy to use?

i havent used either of them but frankly, no DAW is going to be a great deal easier than the other. if you get a mac go with logic pro. if your on a pc then id say stick with reaper. reaper can be acheieved to get pro results, look at cartharis who kicks out monster mixes using a reaper based set up. DAWs dont really affect your sound (unless they cant hold 24 bits) its all really about the plugins and how the interface is to you. so good luck on your purchase
Thanks very much m8!

I think i'll stick with reaper for now... updates flowing in!
Not worth risking money on expensive stuff :S

Thanks again,
AJ
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Record is also great if you use Reason a lot for production, although TBH they should have just added all of Records features to Reason and called it Reason 5 instead of making you pay an additional $200 for functionality that Reason should have had in the first place.

I agree Reason + Record is a dream come true for many producers, except that of course you need to have Reason first, and why no VSTs???
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
I agree Reason + Record is a dream come true for many producers, except that of course you need to have Reason first, and why no VSTs???

They pretty much want you to buy Reason with this a long with whatever refill you need to get the sounds you want. It's a marketing strategy, sort of like what digidesign does with it's proprietary hardware, it does offer advantages in terms of efficiency and stability though.

Last.fm