Recently I've become more and more interested in Japanese guitarists like Syu and Takayoshi Ohmura, and I've been trying to play in their style as much as possible because it's honestly the most fun and sounds the best to me. I've already learned The Cataclysm by Takayoshi, and some songs from Galneryus, but I'm looking to find some more artists and hopefully be able to write something of my own similar to it but with my own influences.

Could anyone direct me towards some semi-well known artists like this, or tell me what scales/modes/etc they typically use that I should learn?
You have got to listen to X Japan, so many great songs.

Art of Life
Rusty Nail
Endless Rain
Kurenai
Scars
Tears
Week End
I.V.
X
Love Replica

and many more

edit: L'arc-en-ciel too
Last edited by ericos96 at Aug 23, 2009,
Thanks for the fast responses, I've checked out X Japan and Versailles so far and both are exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
If you're into X Japan, you might also like a band called Onmyouza. They're a bit different from X Japan, but at least somehow related when compared to other "popular" Japanese bands.
Diminished could you list some bands? I'll check out j-rock/visual kei when I get home thanks. If you guys know any bands with tabs up that would be ideal as I'd be able to see what they're playing easier.
there are definetly a few tabs for The Gazette and also for Nightmare.

i had this link to a j-rock blogspot ages ago but it closed down
rager
Top lel.
Not sure if this is your style, but he is a great guitarist:

Yuya Komoguchi - check him out
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
f***, how could i forget about sex machineguns

check out anthem too, pretty sweet stuff
Top lel.
Alright here we go:

The Sex Machineguns
Alice Nine
Dir en grey
the GazettE
nightmare
Abingdon Boys School
Versailles (or Versailles Philharmonic Quintet)
Takayoshi Ohmura
LUNA SEA
X JAPAN
Anubis
Dali
Deluhi
Serial => Number
Aushvits (I think that's how it's spelled? Syu from Galneryus' old band)
HIZAKI Grace Project (Hizaki from Versailles' old band)
juliadoll
Asian Kung-Fu Generation
Bump of Chicken
Maximum the Hormone
girugamesh
Duel Jewel
Motoi Sakuraba (Video game composer: Tales of.., Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Golden Sun)
Nobuo Uematsu (VG composer: Final Fantasy series)

That's all for now... when I get home to my iTunes I can give you alot more.
Yes definitely definitely definitely check out SEX MACHINGUNS!
They are excellent especially when Circuit V. Panther was in the band.

Oh and for some old school 80s stuff check out LOUDNESS.
Akira was/is Japan's Eddie Van Halen imo.
TOTAL BRO
naoto project storm rider.
UVERworld
Onmyouza

I have more but Itunes ain't workin'
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
All great bands. To give you an idea of my "style" its more of a combination of Galneryus and Takayoshi Ohmura than anything else. If it has a good melodic feel to it with some shredding thrown in I'm sure to love it.
Recently I've become more and more interested in Japanese guitarists like Syu and Takayoshi Ohmura, and I've been trying to play in their style as much as possible because it's honestly the most fun and sounds the best to me. I've already learned [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ4AsE0jjeg&feature=PlayList&p=F629BE49411F81E7&index=0&playnext=1]The Cataclysm by Takayoshi, and some songs from Galneryus, but I'm looking to find some more artists and hopefully be able to write something of my own similar to it but with my own influences.

Could anyone direct me towards some semi-well known artists like this, or tell me what scales/modes/etc they typically use that I should learn?

I completely changed my picking style after I saw this video