Hi all.

I was praticing alot this summer, and I started to notice that when I play, slow or fast, it doesn't matter, all my picking motion is in the wrist. BUT ! When I tremolo pick, I seem to be using the arm way more.

As I seek perfection with my technic , I'd like to know if this is good or bad that I tremolo pick more with the arm than the wrist. And I'd like to know if I can achieve the same speed with my wrist then with my arm.

Thank you in advance.

And sorry for my bad english it's not my first language
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Personally, I use my wrist most of the time but when I get to tremolo picking speed most of the motion is in my arm. Not sure if that's technically the correct way but it's always seemed to work.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
When i tremolo pick i use a little bit of both, but mostly my wrist. Just make sure you have your pick tilted down at a decent angle too. I also use my pinky finger as an anchor by kinda grabbing onto my bridge pickup, it can help with control and consistency if you do it right.
Tremolo is just picking - it's not something different, it's just picking the same note multiple times. If you're doing something something differnent then you're changing your technique for no reason. Why make more work for yourself?
All of my motion from my wrist, but I rest my hand around where the thumb is on the lower strings. I'm not sure if this counts as anchoring or muting, but it helps me tremolo pick twice as fast, cleanly and with less "Arm Spazz" technique then leaving my hand totally floating or using my arm.
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Aug 23, 2009,
IT's best to not anchor, and use a combination of your index/thumb to move the pick in a circular type motion, and use your wrist to actually pluck the string. Only use your arm for string changes.
Quote by Freepower
Tremolo is just picking - it's not something different, it's just picking the same note multiple times. If you're doing something something differnent then you're changing your technique for no reason. Why make more work for yourself?

This seems perfectly logical, thank you Freepower
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
It doesnt really matter ,as long as your not hurting youself doing it or its making you sloppy pick how you want. The main thing is to make your picking motion the same slow and fast ,its much harder to change speed whilst playing if you have to change your whole picking motion. Using your wirst is probably the more ideal option ,getting a fluent ,constant motion. I have my pick angled and my position ready to tremolo pick all the time ,so i can change speed easily and keep my picking fluent.
Quote by Freepower

Question... If it's not more work and comes naturally to use different techniques for tremolo picking and slower picking, is that fine or could it cause problems down the line?
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Not really no ,as long as what your doing feels comfortable and you feel you play better that way do it. Even if it doesnt feel like its right as you progress youl develop your style more and thats the main goal
Quote by vartanspartan
Question... If it's not more work and comes naturally to use different techniques for tremolo picking and slower picking, is that fine or could it cause problems down the line?

Generally when people tremolo pick differently to "normal picking" it's because they allow themselves to tense up and sacrifice note quality because they don't have to synch with the left hand. Which in the end, just will not work and isn't good for your technique at all.