2 handed tapping seems like a relatively simple technique but when I try to do it fast it just gets messy and muddy sounding.

Normally I would accept that, like any technique, it's normal to start out slow but the thing is one handed tapping (hammer ons and pull offs) came relatively easy for me so I was just wondering if I'm missing something or if it's normal to at first tap PAINFULLY slow.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Getting your tapping to sound clean can be a challenge ,it depends what strings your learning on ,if your tapping on just the high E you shouldnt really have a problem with extra noise ,i find that any other string or changing strings results in unwanted noise. When i use to tap on the B string it would sound horrible ,if your legato is clean and accurate tapping shouldnt take long to get. Make sure your your forcefully tapping the string and plucking down with your finger as you tap ,keep your finger close to the string to control your speed. If it needs to be go really slow and use your fretting hand to control the muting.
tapping with speed is usually a matter of finding the rhythm of motion with both hands which is different from what you are used to with only one hand on the fret board

just keep practicing and you will eventually start to pick it up quicker
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 23, 2009,
I'm talking about just simple tapping on the high E string. Pretty straightforward. That's why I don't get why it's so difficult for me to speed it up.
Quote by Trowzaa
Ok heres how i learned ,start by just hammering on 2 notes ,say 12th and 15ft fret of the E string ,then just tap the 19th fret ,the key is to tap inbetween the hammer on notes ,so your tapping finger will probably go faster to tap inbetween the hammer-ed on notes ,its all about timing.
Quote by Joe310707
Ok heres how i learned ,start by just hammering on 2 notes ,say 12th and 15ft fret of the E string ,then just tap the 19th fret ,the key is to tap inbetween the hammer on notes ,so your tapping finger will probably go faster to tap inbetween the hammer-ed on notes ,its all about timing.

Sorry but I didn't get that at all.
Quote by Trowzaa
Ok rite here we go :
1. first finger fretting hand 12fth fret
2. Secong finger fretting hand 15th fret
3. hammer on between the 2 at a slow pace
4. Get your tapping finger ready by the 19th fret
5. As you hammer on the 15th fret ,so its sounded ,tap the 19th ,so you get a clear 19th pull off to 15fth fret sound.
6. Repeat hammer on and tap the 15th fret ,increase speed gradually.

E|-12h15t19p15p12h15t19p15p12h15t19--