I play Johnny's part in Creep by Radiohead with my band and during the bridge (Thom is in falsetto, Johnny tremolo picking some chords.) my hand always cramps up and starts to hurt. I can usually bite the bullet and keep playing, but, by the end, my hand is really hurting and I have to keep playing (I'm the only guitarist in the band and I have to combine Ed's and Johnny's parts).
Is there any way to stop this from happening?
Quote by editthesadparts
I play Johnny's part in Creep by Radiohead with my band and during the bridge (Thom is in falsetto, Johnny tremolo picking some chords.) my hand always cramps up and stats to hurt. I can usually bite the bullet and keep playing, but, by the end, my hand is really hurting and I have to keep playing (I'm the only guitarist in the band and I have to combine Ed's and Johnny's parts).
Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Slow down and relax your picking, don't use your arm for the motion; when picking fast the motion should all come from your wrist.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm gonna go with the generic response of slow down that part to a ridiculously slow speed, focus on completely relaxing your arm/wrist muscles, and practice it at that speed over and over. Forcing yourself to play it fast just builds up a habit of playing with a lot of muscle tension.

Honestly, you should never "bite the bullet" when practicing. If it's a live situation it's understandable, but practice should be as relaxed and painless as possible.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Last edited by vartanspartan at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by vartanspartan
I'm gonna go with the generic response of slow down that part to a ridiculously slow speed, focus on completely relaxing your arm/wrist muscles, and practice it at that speed over and over. Forcing yourself to play it fast just builds up a habit of playing with a lot of muscle tension.

Honestly, you should never "bite the bullet" when practicing. If it's a live situation it's understandable, but practice should be as relaxed and painless as possible.

The weird thing is that it only happens when I'm playing it with the band. I can play it without any pain when I'm practicing, even when I practice it standing up. Also, it only happens in this song. I can play every other tremolo picking riff just fine.
Quote by timeconsumer09
How is that a pun?

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he assumed a fapping reference... I could be wrong.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Quote by editthesadparts
The weird thing is that it only happens when I'm playing it with the band. I can play it without any pain when I'm practicing, even when I practice it standing up. Also, it only happens in this song. I can play every other tremolo picking riff just fine.

Sounds like some kind of mental barrier to me, just sit down and think about why you think about this riff differently... and then realise that it's exactly the same as all the others.

Quote by dylanfromearth
PUN!!

You do realise a pun is specifically a play on words, right?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've got a related question. Although I do usually wander into the realm of petrucci spaz picking, I find even when I do purely wrist picking there's still a weird cramp in my arm near the elbow.

Is this just from the prior spazzing, or am I too tense when I isolate my wrist?
Quote by beadhangingOne
I've got a related question. Although I do usually wander into the realm of petrucci spaz picking, I find even when I do purely wrist picking there's still a weird cramp in my arm near the elbow.

Is this just from the prior spazzing, or am I too tense when I isolate my wrist?

Sounds like, in your efforts to isolate your wrist motion, you're also adding tension to your arm; your whole arm should be completely relaxed when picking fast, just like when you're picking slowly. If your technique changes at speed you're doing something wrong.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.