I was wondering if anybody could perhaps tell me (or better show me) how I can construct open chords (from standard tuning) while in Open D5 (Mark Tremonti tuning etc.)

All advise appreciated

ESP LTD EX-260 (BLK)
Stratocaster Project (3TSB)
1970s Kay KT-2 (3TSB) (SG Style)
Boss ME-50 Effects Box
Dunlop Crybaby
Notes work the same way with open tunings as they do with standard. If you want a Dmaj open chord, you could just hold 4th fret on your third (D) string. Minor would be 3rd fret. But that's just one way to do it.
What about when it comes to playing say an Am or Em chord?

ESP LTD EX-260 (BLK)
Stratocaster Project (3TSB)
1970s Kay KT-2 (3TSB) (SG Style)
Boss ME-50 Effects Box
Dunlop Crybaby
Last edited by Shift1 at Aug 23, 2009,
chords are going to be constructed the same way as in standard - if you've only learnt shapes rather than how to construct a chord i suggest now is a good time to learn, it will open up huge doors in your understanding of what you're playing

basic (minor/major)chords are constructed from a root 3rd and 5th. to find what those notes are write out the scale e.g. C major = C D E F G A B C D E F G A B.

Take the note you want to make the chord around. e.g E.
Then count along the scale till you get the to third note G.
then again till the 5th note B.
you now know that a chord with root E should be E G B.
now find on each string an E a G or a B and fret them/leave them open on the right notes.
You have just constructed an E chord in C major! (this is E minor)

now pick a different point on the neck and try the same again to see what patterns you can make. This applies to standard and any other tuning you can name (you just need to know your notes along the neck)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 23, 2009,
The chords themselves don't change obviously, only the notes on your guitar do. I'm sure theres some website that has chord diagrams for alternate tunings.