Hi I've been looking for some good metal pickups and either the EMG 81/ 85 combo or the Seymour Duncan Blackouts are my final decision. Which one do you think is better? I have an Ibanez GRG170DX if that matters at all.
The 81 is a good pickup. Can't say much about the 85, but if you want great cleans, then get the 60. Don't know about the blackouts. Have you considered the Livewires? i hear they are great.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
the 81/85 is uited for lead guitar, whilst the 81/60 is suited for rythem guitar, i can't say anything about the blackouts apart from they are pretty good
I definitely prefer the Blackouts, but that's just me. They sound more natural and the cleans are better, IMO.
Quote by D&DLover
I definitely prefer the Blackouts, but that's just me. They sound more natural and the cleans are better, IMO.

+1!

Blackouts have better cleans..

My opinion: Get the blackouts unless you're getting EMG 81/60
EMG have a new range of Xs, from what i hear they kick blackouts ass

the 81/85 is uited for lead guitar, whilst the 81/60 is suited for rythem guitar

that really isnt true, have u ever heard of kirk hammet? thats just one example
Quote by Archieisted

that really isnt true, have u ever heard of kirk hammet? thats just one example

i know kirk hammet favours an 81/81 but the 81/85 is commonly used by lead guitarists
Quote by britishsligean
i know kirk hammet favours an 81/81 but the 81/85 is commonly used by lead guitarists

actually kirk uses either 81/81 or 81/60 and personally i think the 81/85 is for heavier metal (death metal, scream metal etc) while the 81/60 are more metallica style stuff and cleans, but hey i dont have any expericance with either its just what i can gather. IMO

sorry slightly off topic so yeah i would say EMG Xs from what ive heard
So I guess its either 81/ 60, Blackouts or EMG X. So I started with 2 options and ended with 3 well...
Quote by Archieisted

The EMG X are like $120 for each one and I'm not sure I can afford that
Definatly go for the blackouts, EMG's i have found are always bland sounding, yes they have power, but thats it really, the blackouts have a wider range of tone and sound more natural, but still have the kickass power of active pick-ups, yes i have EMG's in my current guitar, buuuuuut thats what it came with, saving up to switch to blackouts
Quote by -Ravenous-
Definatly go for the blackouts, EMG's i have found are always bland sounding, yes they have power, but thats it really, the blackouts have a wider range of tone and sound more natural, but still have the kickass power of active pick-ups, yes i have EMG's in my current guitar, buuuuuut thats what it came with, saving up to switch to blackouts

What he said, well the blackouts being better thing anyways.

I always found EMGs muddy on top of it. Blackouts have a nice tone, and are the only active pickups I'd actually get. I'd never want them though, active pickups in general just aren't my style.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
So I should go for Blackouts I guess? It's just some people say EMGs are better. If i were to get EMG I would get 81-X and 60-X.
Since you don't want to spend too much, just get either...

Blackouts
EMG-whatever with 18v mod

They have some subtle differences. Some consider the Blackouts as EMG's with the 18v mod already done, but others say other things.
If you can, play both and see what you like better.

The 18v mod REALLY opens up EMG 81/85/60.

I have no experience with the EMG-X series. They seem better than both, methinks.
Well what I'v been told about that blackouts is that it depends what guitar you put them on. For example they will sound better on a resonably priced ibanez rather than a squier.

On the other hand EMG's make any guitar sound good, disregarding the wood its made of or its electronics.

I use the 81s and 85s myself and they are great for a lead role. Aren't really good if you're looking for an ideal clean tone although your amp also compensates for that.

A poor craftsman blames his tools though:P
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I have 3 guitars loaded with EMG 81's at the bridge, and 2 with 85's at the neck. Beyond that, I'm seriously considering upgrading to the blackouts, they sound nicer from the A/Bing we've done at my store, and they have less feedback and more gain. Mind you some of the new 2009 EMG's match the output of the first generation AHB-1 blackouts, so Seymour Duncan now has put out a new Metal set of Blackouts with even higher output (I think it's +22db for the bridge and +18db for the neck as opposed to the AHB-1's +18db bridge and +16db neck). Standard EMG's are +16/14
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Blackouts wipe the floor with EMGs...they don't sound ice picky, and even if you ever stop playing metal they will still serve you well
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Active-users always foget about the volume knob!

Personally, I am not too into the active pup thing, but if (and when) I do jump on the bandwagon, Blackouts all the way!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
the 81 is a good bridge pickup for rock/blues/metal

I don't care much for the 85. I have both and If i could I would go back and get a nicer bridge pickup.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Alright I've decide that I'm just going to ge a good metal pickup for my bridge and I've decided between Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-2 or the Livewire LW-HMET. Which one is better?
Last edited by seanandahalf at Aug 26, 2009,