I have found a Peavey Classic 30 in good condition for around $400 + tax. I was enamored with it to say the least, but I am concerned as it is my first tube amp. Thus, my questions.

1. How often do I have to replace the tubes?
2. How expensive are tubes to replace?
3. Is the Classic 30 worth getting?

I liked it. A lot. It kicked major ass. And they only have the one, but I'm worried that I might buy another bad amp (Spider III, chuckle chuckle)

Much appreciated.
A good selection of everything, but mostly metal. My budget is around $500.
1. Depends on how much you play.
If you're a gigging guitarist, plan on probably every 6 months
If you're a hobbiest of say 2 hours a day, 4-5 days a week, probably once per year

Otherwise, probably every 2 years.

2. A full set of tubes probably around $90 @ dougstubes.com

3. YES YES YES, AWESOME AMP.

You'll need a good distortion pedal for the hardcore metal.
It can easily handle the stuff we called metal in the 70's & 80's (Think Black Sabbath). Classic 30 can handle that no sweat.
But for today's hardcore metal, yeah, you'll ned a distortion pedal.

Totally worth the price.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 23, 2009,
Enjoy it.

It plays with pedals VERY well.

I'd recommend again a good distortion pedal (I'm not a metal head so can't recommend anything), and a good overdrive like an Ibanez TubeScreamer.
Maybe throw a Delay into the Effects loop, and you're good to go.

I'd also say visit forums.peavey.com
search the forums and they have some good recommendations for which tubes to put in it. Very helpful forum.

Rock On..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
1. Depends on how often you play, how loud you play, the amp, etc. Power tubes usually not more than once every two years, preamp tubes even less.

2. $10 each for regular JJ 12AX7's, $17 each for Mullard's, $15 each for Tung-Sol's. You'll need three for the Classic 30.

$16 for a pair of JJ EL84's. $25 for a pair of Mullard EL84's.
Quote by Mitchell?
1. Depends on how often you play, how loud you play, the amp, etc. Power tubes usually not more than once every two years, preamp tubes even less.

2. $10 each for regular JJ 12AX7's, $17 each for Mullard's, $15 each for Tung-Sol's. You'll need three for the Classic 30.

$16 for a pair of JJ EL84's. $25 for a pair of Mullard EL84's.

where are you getting the prices of those tubes? The JJ tubes are much higher from what i've seen... but i dunno.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper