Hey guys so I'm just wondering about your opinions on something. I'm a guitarist (I can play lead or rhythm but mostly play lead) and backup vocalist. I've been in a band for the past 2 years or so, but lately we haven't been doing much and we've never had an original song or anything so it's kind of stagnant (although hopefully that will change soon).

Anyway recently I've joined my bassist friend in a new project, and I'm working on starting a ska-punk band with some friends from school. I also might be working with the friend of a friend on recording some stuff... and I'm gonna start doing some solo stuff soon.

So... how many projects is too many? Do you think it's wrong for me to be involved in several different things at once?
If you can put the necessary effort into both of them, go ahead and do it.
Haha thanks I think I can manage fine... usually I'm the only one that knows all the songs at band practice... and everyone says I'm really good... so yeah xD
It's up to you, but band w-hores suck dude. I feel band for your bandmates who get to play the leftover songs that don't get played by your "favorite" band or your solo project. Two of my bandmates were in another band and it was constantly hell getting them to care about our project.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Aug 24, 2009,
well im a part of 4 projects at the moment its all time managment
Gear :

Guitars
- BC Rich Warlock Platinum
- Dean BABY ML
- Les Paul Custom White
- Custom Uncle Paul [SOON]

Effects
- Line6 POD 2.0
When I think about side projects, I'm often reminded that I have precious time as it is. But thats for me, I couldt dream of doing two bands at the momment, thats a hell of a lot of personalities to feed. But for some, it works out, and they enjoy it. I hope that it dosent cause one project to disperse on you, unless you want it to.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
It doesn't sound like your primary band is doing anything anyway. It's not like it will take up more time.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
varies on you as a person. I lead my own band and briefly joined a side-project. I got kicked out for focusing too much on my main band. Certain people can focus on multiple bands at a time if they have the willpower and dedication
Quote by KSMITH
well im a part of 4 projects at the moment its all time managment

This.
OP.
Take control of your first band. Tell them a song or two to learn for the next session. If they don't learn it, confront them about it (Be nice though). Then, after you learn a good deal of songs. Try asking them to write a few songs, and tell them YOU will too.
Hopefully that might get them out of a rut and get you guys going again.
But if it doesn't work, you should consider finding out why they aren't learning songs. And if the reason isn't good enough, drop out of the band OR just turn it into a jamming session.

And managing 2 bands is all time management.

I hope I've helped

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I would say 3 is the limit. Any more than that there is absolutely no way you're putting enough effort into each one.
OP.
Take control of your first band. Tell them a song or two to learn for the next session. If they don't learn it, confront them about it (Be nice though). Then, after you learn a good deal of songs. Try asking them to write a few songs, and tell them YOU will too.
But if it doesn't work, you should consider finding out why they aren't learning songs. And if the reason isn't good enough, drop out of the band OR just turn it into a jamming session.

I hope I've helped

Thanks, but unfortunantly I've already tried that. I wrote a couple songs for the band awhile back and gave them to everyone to learn but we still haven't practiced them for some reason... so until the rest of my bandmates take some initiative I'm not going to waste my time.

It's up to you, but band w-hores suck dude. I feel band for your bandmates who get to play the leftover songs that don't get played by your "favorite" band or your solo project. Two of my bandmates were in another band and it was constantly hell getting them to care about our project.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. But one good thing is that all my projects are somewhat different musically, so when I write a song I already know which project it's going to be for. And I would say I'm the most committed member of my original band.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts guys. Right now I'm doing fine, but if it gets too much to handle I'll pare it down some.
Quote by osXtiger
OP.

I hope I've helped

this, definitely. just see what happens bro good luck
I would say, it depends how serious all of your bands are going to be. If all of your band members (and you) are 100% committed to the band and putting in as much effort as possible, then you really only need 1 band. However, if it's more like, an occasional gig or recording session every few weeks with the band, then it's definitely possible to have 2 bands going on at once.

Currently, I am in 2 bands and I have a solo project as well. Neither band is very serious at all, so I'm able to manage my time and focus on my solo project a lot. I would say... consider how much spare time you have and consider if it's worth wile to be in multiple bands (or if you need more time in your life, for something like a part time job perhaps).
Quote by lt22
Thanks, but unfortunantly I've already tried that. I wrote a couple songs for the band awhile back and gave them to everyone to learn but we still haven't practiced them for some reason... so until the rest of my bandmates take some initiative I'm not going to waste my time.

That is exactly the right attitude. Ignore others who say you can only have one band. If you want to make a living out of music, at the beginning you HAVE to be in more than one band. Do the math - if your band was going well and was playing 1-2 nights a week, that's say $100 per gig. $200 a week income. On the other hand it's also smart to have more than one band, most bands don't stay together for a long time, and some never leave the practice space. More bands increase your chances of making a bit of money, playing at more gigs (which for me personally is the point of playing music) and as you've stated, can help you explore the different genres of music you enjoy playing, which I also do.

Quite honestly I'd simply quit your current band in your current circumstances, and have before, but not because they're supposed to be my main band.

If a band is wasting my time and going nowhere, that's reason enough for me to quit. It sucks to be the only person working in a group, in anything. If it's part of a band you're the only person who suffers.

That's exactly why I'm going to quit my current band once we've recorded this album - the co-lead singer/co-songwriter is really not dedicated enough to make it worth the effort. He's the founder and has written most of the originals so it's not a situation where he can be replaced.

I've also quit bands immediately after joining them due to them constantly rescheduling and not being focussed on the music during practice time. One time in particular comes to mind where I'd spend hours writing guitar parts for a song that the vocalist/pianist had written, he booked a practice room and it took the other band members an hour to show up, so we only had an hour left at the end, then he refused to play certain songs without an expression pedal. Catch ya later.

However experiences like these have inspired me to take up singing lessons and have started recording a solo album. The aim is to create a band around this pre-written music and I will have primary control over who stays or goes. Perhaps you have come to the same conclusion.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Aug 27, 2009,
I think that, once you find yourself not pitching song ideas to one band because you want to do them with another band, you're probably spreading yourself too thin. It's cool if you're doing stuff in lots of different styles - it's why people say that they're in a death metal band/a jazz band/a post-punk band and a blues band all at the same time, because there's little risk of overlap there. But if you're in three pop-punk bands...which one do you give the good ideas to? And isn't that unfair on the other two?
There's no unfairness involved. The songs are yours and you can do whatever you want with them. They don't become the band's song unless you've merely created a chord progression and nothing else.
Soundcloud
There's no unfairness involved. The songs are yours and you can do whatever you want with them. They don't become the band's song unless you've merely created a chord progression and nothing else.

Yeah, but if you're in a band, aren't you expected to, y'know, work on stuff for them? This is what I mean - if you're having to decide which band you're going to work at, you're being unfair to the other one/s, because one of their members isn't putting all their effort in.
Quote by Samzawadi
Yeah, but if you're in a band, aren't you expected to, y'know, work on stuff for them? This is what I mean - if you're having to decide which band you're going to work at, you're being unfair to the other one/s, because one of their members isn't putting all their effort in.

If you are in a band you should put in an amount of work for the band - to be an active member of it. But you are allowed to try less if there's no pay off. If the band is going nowhere, you can try less because it's not worth your time. Group effort peoples.

Effort is completely different from writing songs. The song is yours.
Soundcloud
Quote by Samzawadi

I work at all of my projects... In my main band I definitely work the most out of the 5 of us, I just started my ska-punk band and will be working on that soon, I've got some solo stuff which is all me. My project with my friend was his idea and we're working with his songs but I'm working on guitar parts and stuff too.

All this to say I'm putting in as much or more effort than the other members in all of my projects...

Also, thanks AlanHB for the insight, that makes sense about the practical, monetary side of things.