I just got one of the best deals ever, considering the circumstances.

I just traded a Line 6 Spider III 75 for a Epiphone SG G-400 in almost new condtion!! I've been trying to sell the amp for a month or two and said to myself "i'm never going to sell this thing; no one is going to want this P.O.S. Unless i could fool a beginner into buying it, but that is unlikely." I got a email about a trade this morning and to make a long and suspicious story short, we just traded amp for guitar and i am a happy man!

As if things couldn't get better, i just got an email inquiring about a clarinet i've been deperately trying to sell for the past six months. Selling for $800 and i split it with my parents. That is $400 i will have at my disposal. I can retube my Randall RM80 and send my Ultra Lead module to Pete Turley for his Mesa Mark Series mod!. Not official yet, but i'm sure i will have it sold by the end of the coming week!!

Now i know your all waiting for pics of this beauty so here you go:

Sorry for the bad quality on a few. My camera is being difficult again. Haven't played it really, but i'm sure it is infinitely better than the Spider. That finish is beautiful. I never saw myself having an SG; i was never fond of the shape, but i love it. I was hoping for cash, but this deal was too good to not take.

I finally have a fixed bridge guitar with mahogany body and set neck. The exact specs i've been looking for. I was hoping for a ESP LTD EC-401, but this is just as nice.

I haven't tried it yet, but if i don't really like the p'ups, any suggestions for new ones??? I'm thinking going SD passives. I have EMG's, but i'm thinking it might be time to try some nice passives. I play mostly metal; melodic death metal, metalcore, death metal, thrash metal, heavy metal...just about any metal you can think of. Ideas? As far as actives go, i was thinking Blackouts or Livewires, but i'm not sure if actives in this SG would be a good idea. It just doesn't look like a "active pickups" type of guitar.

Thanks, John.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Man, I dunno how to put this, but you ended up with a lemon, no matter what y'think of it.

But considering it's a G400 and there's worse you could've ended up with, HNGD anyway. See if you can upgrade it and sell it for something a little bit better. Or if you're content with it, upgrade the p-ups. I used to own one and the pickups were as muddy as ****. I had to put an Angus Young Signature in the bridge.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by HoffManCometh
Man, I dunno how to put this, but you ended up with a lemon, no matter what y'think of it.

But considering it's a G400 and there's worse you could've ended up with, HNGD anyway. See if you can upgrade it and sell it for something a little bit better. Or if you're content with it, upgrade the p-ups. I used to own one and the pickups were as muddy as ****. I had to put an Angus Young Signature in the bridge.

I know it is not the best, but it think it was worth it. It was pretty much free. I may change the pups, but i haven't played it yet so idk. I was thinking about selling it, but i'm not sure. It looks really nice and i should be able to get some use out of it, unlike the spider.

EDIT: damn...i just found out that the person asking about my clarinet is a scammer. Its been six months with three inquiries....two being scams. I fear i will never get it sold I seriously need that $400.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by HoffManCometh

Seriously? Who the **** do you think you are to tell somebody what to think, perhaps we all thought that were supposed to bow down to the know it all jack ass who thinks he knows everything about everything. GTFO you stupid troll. If you dont have anything nice or constructive to say, dont say it.

To TS, you ended up with a pretty good deal. Money wise the Spider IIIs are only depreciating espescially with the release of the SIV's, I would say you either broke even for what you originally paid for the spider, or wound up with something better. Like the other jackass said, if you upgrade the pups youll have a much better sounding guitar, either way, nice guitar, enjoy it.
Its quite a good lookin sg if i do say so. Just saw angus last night, you ever thought of something not designed for metal? i have Sh-4 Sh-2 in my lp and with enough gain they do metal really well but i can roll back the volume and have a clean for breakdowns :P either way HNGD
~Defiant~
Quote by TheCalvinator
Seriously? Who the **** do you think you are to tell somebody what to think, perhaps we all thought that were supposed to bow down to the know it all jack ass who thinks he knows everything about everything. GTFO you stupid troll. If you dont have anything nice or constructive to say, dont say it.

To TS, you ended up with a pretty good deal. Money wise the Spider IIIs are only depreciating espescially with the release of the SIV's, I would say you either broke even for what you originally paid for the spider, or wound up with something better. Like the other jackass said, if you upgrade the pups youll have a much better sounding guitar, either way, nice guitar, enjoy it.

Ya, i was trying to sell the spider for $250, but when no one was buying, i decided to go $225. I was going to go $200 after that, but then i got this offer and everything worked out in the end.

He was selling the guitar for $220. He could have easily sold it for $300 or $280 considering the condition of it, but he found the guitar he wanted, a Prophecy SG, and just needed the money for it. He also needed a new amp b/c all he had was a keyboard amp.

Its not something i would have went out and bought, but considering i was getting rid of the spider, it seemed like a good deal to me.

Any suggestions on the p'ups?? What would be the best SD passives for metal?? or should i stick with actives?

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
I got the same guitar a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say...IT FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Aug 23, 2009,
Hahaha, that's a nice deal. If you're looking for passive metal pickups, as you said; SD's are nice. Another company to check out is DiMarzio. If you want to cheap out a bit GFS pickups are really good for the price.
I'm getting a JB/59 Seymour Duncan combo in my G-400 after a while, but I don't play metal.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Blackouts are sick for active pickups man.

My guitar teacher put a set in his Les Paul Custom. They clean up just like passives, and sound great for anything.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by JKMV11
I haven't tried it yet, but if i don't really like the p'ups, any suggestions for new ones??? I'm thinking going SD passives. I have EMG's, but i'm thinking it might be time to try some nice passives. I play mostly metal; melodic death metal, metalcore, death metal, thrash metal, heavy metal...just about any metal you can think of. Ideas? As far as actives go, i was thinking Blackouts or Livewires, but i'm not sure if actives in this SG would be a good idea. It just doesn't look like a "active pickups" type of guitar.

You can get the metal covered actives if you want it to look more standard that the matte black epoxy ones, SGs are metal as **** (Iommi anyone?)
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Dang man I'd call that a trade in your favor.

HNGD!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Dang man I'd call that a trade in your favor.

HNGD!

Ya. I was about to give up on trying to sell the spider. But it all worked out in the end. And apparently the guy really likes the amp. He is getting a Epiphone SG Prophecy to go with it. The spider really wasn't that bad, but there are better amps for the price.

The SG sounds ok, but the pickups aren't working for me. Not heavy enough for the metal i play. I think i may go with the actives after all. Maybe the Blackouts or Livewires. Or maybe if i can find some really good passives that can play metal as well as my EMG's.

Overall, i'm loving the guitar.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by TheCalvinator

Know-it-all jackass? Dude, I claimed nothing of the sort. I used to own a G400 and I shared my experiences with the guitar, so I was constructive in my response. TS didn't find it offensive and he said he enjoys the guitar. If he enjoys it, he enjoys it, I can't tell him otherwise. All I can say is that there are better bargains and possibly better guitars to be found.

So sod off and stop finding things to fight about.
HNGD! My friend has one of those, and I think it's an awesome guitar, feels great. Plus you no longer have that Spider. That thing will be a beast with a pup swap.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
^ stop arguing over the internet children

ts nice deal!

how much gain do you want?

might be able to get away with some nice dimarzios
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
BEST TRADE EVER!
If you've already got some EMG's drop em in there.I've seen a few SG's with EMG's and the idea can be pulled off well.You'd pretty much turn your ****ty old spider into a reliable guitar for metal.My vote also goes to completely re-doing the electronics and shielding it.The tuners are pretty decent aswell.so don't worry about them.
Wish I had a spell to turn crappy amps into decent guitars .
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by rancidryan
^ stop arguing over the internet children

ts nice deal!

how much gain do you want?

might be able to get away with some nice dimarzios

As much gain as i can get

Melodic death metal mainly, like earlier In Flames. I think i might go with the Blackouts. How well do they handle cleans compared to the EMG 60??

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Nice SG, I have had several Epi SGs over the years and I find no problem with them at all. I still have my Toni Iommi Epi SG and I LOVE it mainly for the pick ups they rock. I actually prefer passive pick ups over active myself. I just think it's less hassle and no matter what amp I have used I don't see a big enough advantage with them any good pedal won't do for passives.

John
I'd say you came out ahead on that trade. I dont know how much value that guitar will hold. But im sure it is worth more than that amp. Sometimes ya just get lucky. On our local on-line classifieds used sg-400's usually go for around 180 - 200 bucks, and thats sometimes with a case. You would be lucky to sell that amp for 100.
Quote by JKMV11
As much gain as i can get

Melodic death metal mainly, like earlier In Flames. I think i might go with the Blackouts. How well do they handle cleans compared to the EMG 60??

Thanks, John.

They do cleans pretty good I find, just roll off the volume a little bit
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.