Hello fellow GG&Aers, this is about my 100th thread on which amp.

There is something about a Marshall JCM 900 that just draws me in. But the thing is i play a lot of metal/metalcore like August Burns Red for example. They have a nice tight low end punchy tone and i'm not sure if a JCM 900 is capable of doing that?

I am starting up a Hardcore Punk band next year so a Marshall will suit that well, but i'm just not sure about the higher gain stuff..

help?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I've never played a 900, but judging the 800s I've tried, you could probably get a metalcore tone out of them with some active pickups in your guitar like EMGs and some kind OD pedal. In fact, I think that Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold uses JCM800s, and they're metalcore...
His tone is weak and shit unlike ABR's which is huge
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by CaptDin
I've never played a 900, but judging the 800s I've tried, you could probably get a metalcore tone out of them with some active pickups in your guitar like EMGs and some kind OD pedal. In fact, I think that Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold uses JCM800s, and they're metalcore...

A7X was metalcore.

And TS, with a pedal (I'm thinking Boss ML-2), I'm sure it could pull metalcore.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Why ruin a tube amp with a crappy pedal, sorry if i sound like an ass i don't mean to!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
Why ruin a tube amp with a crappy pedal, sorry if i sound like an ass i don't mean to!

Just recommending it bc it's easy to find. Every store you walk in has Boss.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by bucketmark
His tone is weak and shit unlike ABR's which is huge

so true!
But you won't get an ABR tone with a Marshall sorry, The Mesa's that they use are too epic
Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD H-1001
Axe FX II
Blackstar S1-100 (selling)
Ovation Applause
Keeley modded TS-9
Boss NS-2 (selling)
The JCM will/should do it with a really nice OD/clean boost. If not, you could always get a nice dirtbox, and set the gain to boost yours just enough, and keep it at unity volume.

STREDIT: Dude, there's always a way
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Aug 23, 2009,
Or should i stick with the Bugera 6262.. and face the horrible thoughts of it blowing out on stage?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Check out BeerChurch's profile and look at his Boogera fixes. I think most of the problems are gone now though...

And it's up to you. Play both of them.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by bucketmark

Are you serious?
You don't "ruin" a tube amp's tone by using a pedal. In this case you would only be pushing the tubes harder, thus making it better if anything. I agree with whoever said to get the 900 and boost it. Boosted JCM900s are so awesome.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I was under the impression he meant just run the ML-2 for distortion lol
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
The Bugera 6262 would be your best bet, if you can get a reliable one. I think you'd be okay with a JCM900 anyway though.

You should add me on MSN/facebook or something, we can organise to head up to Muso's Corner and give the amp room a workover, check out the JCM900 there and a few others ^_^ lol
Yeah that sounds awesome, PM me your MSN !
I must try out the JCM 900 again..
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Are you serious?
You don't "ruin" a tube amp's tone by using a pedal. In this case you would only be pushing the tubes harder, thus making it better if anything. I agree with whoever said to get the 900 and boost it. Boosted JCM900s are so awesome.

You don't push a tube amp with a metal distortion pedal...a cheap one at that. You push it with an overdrive pedal. If you're using a distortion pedal, you use it on the clean channel. Pedal 101, my friend.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by bucketmark
How are these Randall heads? I could get one pretty cheap used

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/G3-Plus-Amps/

IMO, the only good Randall amps are the MTS series. well, the V2 and T2 aren't bad, but they're not as good at the MTS for versatility.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
it want max gain out of a JCM 900 look for the SL-X 2100 or 2500 Jcm900. has more stock gain then any 900. i just picked one up for cheap about a month ago for $750..but needed a tad bit of work..but now she is running like a bat out of hell. can do metal pretty damn good. throw a decent OD pedal in the front for a nice boost and you can get into hardcore territory
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Hm doesn't really sound like the amp for me, it's either that Randall or a Bugera.. *tears*
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Kurapica
You don't push a tube amp with a metal distortion pedal...a cheap one at that. You push it with an overdrive pedal. If you're using a distortion pedal, you use it on the clean channel. Pedal 101, my friend.

Where in my post did I say that you would use a metal distortion pedal? Reading 101, son.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Yeah..... so any more help?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Where in my post did I say that you would use a metal distortion pedal? Reading 101, son.

You were responding to a guy who was saying he didn't want to use a Metal distortion pedal with his valve amp.

Anyways, TS, if you get a nice OD you should be in the ball park, but it's really up to your own ears to decide. Just head to a guitar shop and check it out. Most guitar shops stock JCM's and a good deal of OD's.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay