now before i get banned or flamed by all of the metal forum, this is a legitamate question:

I have analyzed my playing style, and found it to be much more metalcore than metal.

lots of pedal notes, most of it in D minor or D harmonic minor, syncopating alot of the notes, and a few other details.

the question is, me and my freinds a starting a Metal band, and we dont want a metal core band.

am i gonna have to reinvent myself as a guitarist, or are there ways for me to actually apply metalcore style guitar to a metal band?
If you play metalcore, you obviously like it.

Why not just play Metalcore?

Or just play is a band and let your playing/writing decide what you are?
you could change your style of playing. Listen to more metal, less metalcore. that should give you some ideas. sounds like common sense to me?
If you enjoy metalcore, play it. Don't change your style to conform to some standard.
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
this is kind of dumb.

if you don't want to play metalcore, decide what you want to play and listen to bands that play that genre and learn songs so that you can play that genre.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Having a metalcore playing style doesn't mean that what you play is metalcore.
::type i'm here to stir the $h!t

Play what you play dude, if your not digging what the band your in right now is doing. I suggest to form another band.
I drink your milkshake.
yeah just use brutal death growls and only a retard will label you metalcore then xD

Sumdeus
What's a pedal note? And I wouldn't exactly say reinvent, more along the lines of "filter" or "slightly change". If all you can come up with is metalcore stuff, have someone else right I guess?
Quote by Polarisfan_12
Having a metalcore playing style doesn't mean that what you play is metalcore.

I beg to differ.

If you play in a bluesy style, chances are you're playing blues; If you play in a Jazzy style, you're probably playing something similar to jazz; If you play something in punk style, you're likely to be playing punk.

Not to say you can't incorporate these styles into other genres, though...
Quote by romencer17
yeah just use brutal death growls and only a retard will label you metalcore then xD

That was the plan.

and i do listen to alot of metal, its just that one of the most epic guitarists that i have personally met plays metalcore, and i like how he played so much that i began to emulate his style.

i recently came to the realization that metalcore isnt ussually considered metal, but living in the united stated makes it kinda hard to have access to good metal bands.(i mean concerts and hearing them on the radio)
so you get music and listen to it on your own. I live in the bay, and only metal most people listen to is metalcore,deathcore, and hardcore.

probably the only person for miles around who listens to bathory and mayhem

pretty much, just get tabs and play songs from bands you like.
at one point you'll have lots of influences from all the bands you listen to, and you won't get pegged as just one subgenre..

Sumdeus
That's what the internet is for.

I still don't understand your problem though... You want to play metal because metalcore isn't considered metal?
Quote by romencer17
so you get music and listen to it on your own. I live in the bay, and only metal most people listen to is metalcore,deathcore, and hardcore.

probably the only person for miles around who listens to bathory and mayhem

IF there was a salute smiley you would be getting it right now
Quote by Butt Rayge
That's what the internet is for.

I still don't understand your problem though... You want to play metal because metalcore isn't considered metal?

its not that, its that most metalcore annoys the fuk out of me. i cant stand all these bands that have gotten popular nowadays in the u.s.

EDIT:crap, a double post in my own thread....
Last edited by thatwhiteguy69 at Aug 23, 2009,
well we've given you pretty much all the advice we can.

if you're not happy with your playing style, maybe you should focus on that rather than being a band.
plus, you can always do a metalcore band for fun since that's what your style is atm.
not like everyone's gonna make fun of you for it (except for all of us in the metal forum )

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
well we've given you pretty much all the advice we can.

if you're not happy with your playing style, maybe you should focus on that rather than being a band.
plus, you can always do a metalcore band for fun since that's what your style is atm.
not like everyone's gonna make fun of you for it (except for all of us in the metal forum )

thanks. im still not sure what to do tho.
what's a pedal note?

And if you don't overuse breakdowns or cleaning vocal'd choruses you'll pretty much be a melodeath band.
Quote by technicolour
And if you don't overuse breakdowns or cleaning vocal'd choruses you'll pretty much be a melodeath band.

This. Most metalcore is basically just shitty melodeath with chuggy chugs and tight pants. Just keep doing what you're doing, avoid breakdowns and too many clean vocal parts (some bands pull of the cleans pretty well though) and voila, melodeath.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Quote by thatwhiteguy69
but living in the united stated makes it kinda hard to have access to good metal bands.(i mean concerts and hearing them on the radio)

Nup.
Can't do this.
Fuck this.
*walks out and slams the door*
Quote by Magero
Nup.
Can't do this.
Fuck this.
*walks out and slams the door*

I decided to ignore that, too