Why does over 90% of youtube believe that Buckethead is more talented than Steve Vai.

Buckethead can play fast yes, and so can Steve Vai, maybe or maybe not as fast, but when he plays it just seems so musical. Buckethead just seems like he's hitting notes.

Steve can play slow and fast, in many styles, not just rock. He does his rock thing but also classical, blues, metal, jazz, progressive, neo-classical, and other genres I don't even know what would even fit into, it's just that unique.

Buckethead plays fast most of the time, in his what I guess is "funk metal", and chicken picks in his country/western sided things. Thats pretty much all I've heard of his at least.

Why is it that so many people claim Buckethead is a better "composer" than Vai?

I'd love to see some examples, maybe someone can change my mind, or at least make me a bit less biased, but I never really heard of anything of Bucketheads I liked, so I kinda stopped looking.
Last edited by zillafan74 at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by zillafan74
Why does over 90% of youtube believe that Buckethead is more talented than Steve Vai.

Buckethead can play fast yes, and so can Steve Vai, maybe or maybe not as fast, but when he plays it just seems so musical. Buckethead just seems like he's hitting notes.

Steve can play slow and fast, in many styles, not just rock. He does his rock thing but also classical, blues, metal, jazz, progressive, neo-classical, and other genres I don't even know what would even fit into, it's just that unique.

Buckethead plays fast most of the time, in his what I guess is "funk metal", and chicken picks in his country/western sided things. Thats pretty much all I've heard of his at least.

Why is it that so many people claim Buckethead is a better "composer" than Vai?

I'd love to see some examples, maybe someone can change my mind, or at least make me a bit less biased, but I never really heard of anything of Bucketheads I liked, so I kinda stopped looking.

I Agree, There's Nothing Wrong With Buckethead Though, Vai's Just So Muc More Talented
Quote by zillafan74

90% exactly?
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
They are both pretty skilled I think Buckethead is better personally, but it's all preference. I prefer his style.
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
If you don't believe Buckethead is an exceptional composer, you need to hear his Michael Jackson tribute song.

I think they're both great for different reasons, though. Stop comparing and enjoy the music.
you mean like, .002% of youtube. everyone just knows him from Guitar Hero. me personally, i like buckethead, just because i have not heard much of Steve Via's stuff.

Quote by i_don't_know
If you don't believe Buckethead is an exceptional composer, you need to hear his Michael Jackson tribute song.

I think they're both great for different reasons, though. Stop comparing and enjoy the music.

also, this

SUPER EDIT: you need to hear some of Buckethead's softer stuff, like Colma and Electric Tears. good chill music
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Last edited by JBizzle Da Truf at Aug 23, 2009,
Why is it that 90% of the general population feels the need to argue over which guitarist is better than which?
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Quote by handlerb
90% exactly?

Lol. Well around there. There's maybe 8 or 9 out of every 10 people seemed to prefer Buckethead. Maybe not 90% of everyone, but out of the people I looked at it's honestly around there.
Because people are impressed by speed.
And masks.
And KFC.

God I love KFC...
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by highwaysalmon
Why is it that 90% of the general population feels the need to argue over which guitarist is better than which?

I kinda wanted to know why really. It's an opinion really in style. But I still think that Vai has more theory behind his stuff, no matter how talented of a played Buckethead is.

MICHEAL JACKSON TRIBUTES <-----This seems nice though. I like it.
Quote by Vasser
Because people are impressed by speed.
And masks.
And KFC.

And you're forgetting Bucketheads love of numchucks.
And can anyone tell me some more of Bucketheads stuff, I really liked that MJ Tribute.
Quote by zillafan74
I kinda wanted to know why really. It's an opinion really in style. But I still think that Vai has more theory behind his stuff, no matter how talented of a played Buckethead is.

MICHEAL JACKSON TRIBUTES <-----This seems nice though. I like it.

Its not about theory though, its about feel. Most people (myself included) just prefer his style. Listen to Jordan and Waiting Here (which features Serge Tankian), those are my favourites.
Exactly.

It all comes down to who tickles your musical 'funny bone'. You can say that Vai uses more theory, but at the end of the day judge a musician by their music, not their grasp of theory.

For the record - Buckethead is every bit as schooled in the area of theory as Vai.
most ppl just like him because he has a bucket on his head =\
NEWCASTLE

UNITED!

My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-401QMNT
Marshall AVT150H
Peavey Valve King Cab
Quote by Ixben93xI
most ppl just like him because he has a bucket on his head =\

What a load of wank.