No, not Nikki Sixx

I'm talking about Nikki Monninger, of Silversun pickups. I love her tone, and I'm wondering how I can come close to it without having a Gibson Thunderbird. I appreciate that being a great player is a big part of it, but I can work on that ;-)

See for example this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdWJLw08r8

As far as I can tell she's playing a Thunderbird, I presume it's a Gibson.

What I have to work with is a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, and I can't see to get that sort of tone out of it, although it's a great bass overall. A P-bass would probably be closer, but the obvious budget choice would be an Epiphone Thunderbird. The Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-IV Bass looks interesting

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Thunderbird-ProIV-Bass?sku=581657

So, thoughts on this bass? Would another cheap bass be able to get that tone? Another option is buying the Epiphone and putting in some better pickups or something like that. I know there's a lot of Thunderbird haters out here, but hopefully there's others that appreciate this tone.
in the video for well thought out twinkles shes using a p bass. if you just roll the tone off on a p bass you should get a similar sound. try that. even though i love me a thunderbird, a p bass would be able to get that tone and many others, where as the thunderbird would be rather limiting. but try bot out and see if you like it. the t-bird pro is active, so it may not be able to get that warm tone nikki has, so try before you make a decision.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
in the video for well thought out twinkles shes using a p bass. if you just roll the tone off on a p bass you should get a similar sound. try that. even though i love me a thunderbird, a p bass would be able to get that tone and many others, where as the thunderbird would be rather limiting. but try bot out and see if you like it. the t-bird pro is active, so it may not be able to get that warm tone nikki has, so try before you make a decision.

That's kind of what I figured. I love the active jazz bass, but it's not a big low end "thump"er. Perhaps I will just save up and get a Highway One Precision or something like that. Still, the Thunderbird definately looks nicer.
oh ya definatly. im getting a t-bird as a backup bass as soon as i get money. and i have the squier active jazz bass v, which is pretty much the same ( i compared it to the fender and its almost the same except the fender is more expencive) and the only thing you cant get out of it is a vintage tone. which is exactly what nikkis sound is.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
she has a tone that is usually very fuzzy or gainy. you can get pretty close with a good thick fuzz.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
she has a tone that is usually very fuzzy or gainy. you can get pretty close with a good thick fuzz.

forgot about that. try putting on your neck pickup only and adding some fuzz. if you dont have a fuzz, try the russian big muff, i picked up one a week ago and am in love with it
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
forgot about that. try putting on your neck pickup only and adding some fuzz. if you dont have a fuzz, try the russian big muff, i picked up one a week ago and am in love with it

we want to retain some low end here...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

hmm.

a more clear version of that sound. boosting around the 200 could help, but who'd want to? you'll sound BETTER, IMO. the perfect version of that sound.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
hmm.

a more clear version of that sound. boosting around the 200 could help, but who'd want to? you'll sound BETTER, IMO. the perfect version of that sound.

What would get a more clear version of that sound?
Quote by The Jerk
What would get a more clear version of that sound?

a tube amp of some kind, or at least a colorful amp, like an Ashdown
a fuzz, maybe a muff type with the tone rolled back?
that bass, with a bass boost and a slight mid cut.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

that video clip is a studio recording laid on top of a live video of the song being performed.
personally i think a Fender Jazz would actually sound better for that song. your active jazz can sound like pretty much any bass out there, except of course, a passive jazz. if you want to replicate that tone live, all of the time, a Fender P might be your best bet. btw,
thanks for the link. i do like the song.
SSPU is awesome.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by 83lespaulstudio
that video clip is a studio recording laid on top of a live video of the song being performed.
personally i think a Fender Jazz would actually sound better for that song. your active jazz can sound like pretty much any bass out there, except of course, a passive jazz. if you want to replicate that tone live, all of the time, a Fender P might be your best bet. btw,
thanks for the link. i do like the song.

The Jazz is mighty versatile. I also have a Electro Harmonix Bass Big Muff which helps. I guess what I'm looking for is something with a little more thump, think Queen Under Pressure kind of tone. Another bass that could get that would be nice for the more driving and heavy medal type of songs.
^ On Under Pressure (and most songs) John Deacon used a P bass strung with Rotosound 77s. I don't know what amp he used though. The Active Jazz is great for metal, IMO, though it sounds like a P bass would work well for you. Maybe something with PJ pickups like the Aerodyne Jazz, the Reggie Hamilton Signature Jazz, or the Tony Franklin Fretted P. That could do both nicely.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
i think the tone your looking for has more to do with the player, than the bass. if want to increase your thump, get rid of that Big Muff, they kill your low-end. i play with no effects
on stage. i feel effects pedals take away more tone(lows) than anything they add. i do use a compressor, a maximizer, and a little chorus, buts thats added at the mixing board. don't worry about trying to change your tone for every song. make the song yours, with YOUR tone.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i think the tone your looking for has more to do with the player, than the bass. if want to increase your thump, get rid of that Big Muff, they kill your low-end. i play with no effects
on stage. i feel effects pedals take away more tone(lows) than anything they add. i do use a compressor, a maximizer, and a little chorus, buts thats added at the mixing board. don't worry about trying to change your tone for every song. make the song yours, with YOUR tone.

The problem with my set up is I only have a fender practice amp, so any sort of overdriven bass sound is pretty much impossible without an effects pedal, or a different amp.

Totally agree with you about making the song your own though. That being said I think we all have players who we want to sound like, or are at least influenced by...
Different amp. I'm not a bass player primarily, and only really lurk in the bass section here, but I'm a big SSPU fan. Nikki's sound is basically a thunderbird into a Mesa 400+, and she's got it pretty loud so it's got a a bit of natural overdrive to it. Honestly, any loud, large, and preferably tube, bass amp will get you in the same ball park, and your jazz bass should get pretty close. I get really close with a P-bass, and I've gotten P-bass style tones out of the few jazz basses I've used. Although I think it's worth mentioning Nikki supposedly used a DOD Punkifier distortion pedal on "Carnavas" for the really fuzz bass parts. Hope I (sort of) helped.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Different amp. I'm not a bass player primarily, and only really lurk in the bass section here, but I'm a big SSPU fan. Nikki's sound is basically a thunderbird into a Mesa 400+, and she's got it pretty loud so it's got a a bit of natural overdrive to it. Honestly, any loud, large, and preferably tube, bass amp will get you in the same ball park, and your jazz bass should get pretty close. I get really close with a P-bass, and I've gotten P-bass style tones out of the few jazz basses I've used. Although I think it's worth mentioning Nikki supposedly used a DOD Punkifier distortion pedal on "Carnavas" for the really fuzz bass parts. Hope I (sort of) helped.

That's very useful. I just presumed it was the bass that would have the biggest impact on the sound, but I guess not. I don't suppose there's any budget tube amps out there that anybody knows of ;-)
Look at old Sunn stuff, and Ampegs like the V4. Those amps get really loud, and overdrive very well at larger volumes, especially when you use a bass.
RG fanman, thank you. I now have a new gas pedal, I love her fuzz sound.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard