Im looking to buy a small tube amp to practice with inside. Which is best tone wise?

Im looking to spend up to 250.
well, best one I've tried yet is the HT-5 but I'm pretty sure that is over your budget, only things I can think of are the AC4TV, which is pretty good, maybe the Blackhearts are in that price range? and the Valve Jr, which I despise.
do youy want any kind of versatility?
or are you going to only be playing one genre?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I play blues influenced, ill be playing slide on it, I like progressive like The Mars Volta, I could always put a pedal but I basically want some nice raw tube saturation for the room
The HT-5 sounds perfect for you. I'd save up for it if I were you. I think it's $400 but I'm not sure.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
vox ac 4. i think gc has a special one that goes to like 1-16th of a watt. i saw it in a magazine of theres but im not sure. look it up
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Yeah the Blackstar HT-5 is a sweet little amp, same goes for the Vox AC4TV and the Blackheart Little Giant. I have always liked the Fender Champ 600 though
HI
5 watts tube is pretty loud for the bedroom.

I have a Blackheart 5w and it sounds great - very bluesy. I mean, it's on 3watt mode all of the time so that my house doesn't fall over.

If you want that really tube-y roar at low volumes there's the Little Giant. I think it's 1/2 or 1/4 watt. I almost bought one instead of my 5 watt, but I was out of town when I played it played it and figured that the Blackheart guy at home would have it. He didn't.
I really don't like the crate unless it is modded in some way. the Ht-5 will definitely beat it.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Its a matter of money though.. im gettin 180 for a SS amp I have

I could spend more and get something but I could get the crate v5 and have money for a fulltone ocd or something
Quote by DeadMeadow
Its a matter of money though.. im gettin 180 for a SS amp I have

I could spend more and get something but I could get the crate v5 and have money for a fulltone ocd or something

If you do that, don't get an OCD its the most overrated, overhyped pedal ever. There are a million better boutique OD's out there for around the same price. (If you do get an OCD, get a used V3 it is much better than the V4)
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
I'd have to say one of these-

Vox AC4
Blackheart 5w
Blackstar HT5

But really, go to your nearest guitar store, and test these three amps, then make a decision based on what you hear.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
5 watts tube is pretty loud for the bedroom.

I have a Blackheart 5w and it sounds great - very bluesy. I mean, it's on 3watt mode all of the time so that my house doesn't fall over.

If you want that really tube-y roar at low volumes there's the Little Giant. I think it's 1/2 or 1/4 watt. I almost bought one instead of my 5 watt, but I was out of town when I played it played it and figured that the Blackheart guy at home would have it. He didn't.

I think you're talking about the Killer Ant because the amp you have is the Little Giant
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I really like my HT-5 and I'm sure you could find one used that would be within your budget.

Mind you, for blues I've found it's better to stick a good OD pedal in front of the amp; rather than trying to get a good blues tone out of the HT-5's gain channel.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
If you need gain, go with the Blackstar HT-5, it's the only low wattage amp I've ever seen that has any kind of gain to it.

Otherwise, I played a Bugera V5 the other day and I loved it. It's switchable between 5, 1, and .01 watts, so you can get cranked tones at very very low volumes. It's $150.
Quote by whiteraven119
If you need gain, go with the Blackstar HT-5, it's the only low wattage amp I've ever seen that has any kind of gain to it.

Otherwise, I played a Bugera V5 the other day and I loved it. It's switchable between 5, 1, and .01 watts, so you can get cranked tones at very very low volumes. It's $150.
.1, not .01
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The new bugera v5 looks interesting
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Check out the Fender Vibro Champ XD when comparing. You won't even need pedals with it.
If you are a Dead Meadow fan I'd save for a Tiny Terror. Their sound is very typical Orange. Same with Mars Volta.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
For what you want a Vox AC4 will suit you perfectly. I'm not sure of the price in $ but as it's cheaper than most of the other suggestions you'd be able to get a nice OD to pair it with. It also can be switched down to 1 watt or 1/4 watt for lower volume as 4/5 watt is still bloody loud. I play a lot of blues on mine and it really is great.

Quote by whiteraven119

Cranked I can get plenty gain out of my Vox, more than I'd usually need. Granted I wouldn't want to play metal on it but it would handle the TS' genres well.
Last edited by aaronni at Aug 24, 2009,
Vox AC4 - classic rock, cleaner stuff
Blackstar HT5 - heavier stuff

i noticed you mentioned that you'd be playing stuff like the Mars Volta. i'm pretty sure Omar uses AC30s, and i find that the AC4 is a great way to get the AC30 OD tone without the headache.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
What aaroni said.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head